User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Crash course please on my new flash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crash course please on my new flash!

Hi everyone,

I bought a flash today! Its a sigma 530 DG ST (i think lol), and while I have kind of worked out how to use it, i need some tips on how to get the most out of it, particularly for tomorrow night which is my sisters 21st and would love to get some nice people shots. Am I best to move the flash so that it points more up rather than straight at people?

Basically I am a total noob when it comes to flash in general. Any pointers on how I can get the most out of it would be so wonderful! Thank you in advance
    Ellen
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bounce flash (pointing it up/sideways so the light from the flash hits something and bounces back) works if you are inside and the ceiling is a reasonably light colour. Bounce it off a dark ceiling and its effect is minimised.

Don't forget you can also turn your camera sideways (portrait aspect) and bounce off walls etc as well
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ellen

Point it slightly up. The flash gives off plenty of light and softens it more than rather pointing it straight at peoples faces

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick and Linda! I have briefly played around with pointing the flash in different directions. I think tomorrow night will be a big learning curve!!

Another question: it has this little pull down thing to come over where the light is, maybe like a diffuser or something? Is it worth using it??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it is a diffuser and it can be effective, but it's a matter or experimenting. It deflects the light, so when you are using bounce flash, it works better not to use it,

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    it is a diffuser and it can be effective, but it's a matter or experimenting. It deflects the light, so when you are using bounce flash, it works better not to use it,
    Great, thanks for that! I will have a play and see how I go. This is going to be fun!!