Thread: CSIRO releases new Australian Bird Guide

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    ........will let ya's know next month sometime -
    First thoughts...nicely illustrated, informative and more important for me, easy to use...very impressed -
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    You need to update the names in your older guides.

http://ebird.org/content/australia/n...015-australia/
    So is it Australian or Nankeen Ketrel?
    Australian Kite or Black-shouldered Kite??

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So is it Australian or Nankeen Ketrel?
    Australian Kite or Black-shouldered Kite??
    Never heard of a Ketrel Australian or Nankeen.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Never heard of a Ketrel Australian or Nankeen.
    That's right. But surely you can imagine a missed letter.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone that has ordered from CSIRO received their book, or shipping notification yet?

CC was charged a couple of days ago, but no shipping notification or book yet
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of CSIRO books - does anyone have this? I wondered if it was worth adding to my library as we travel around a bit?
    http://www.publish.csiro.au/book/6518/
    Cheers Lyn.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Speaking of CSIRO books - does anyone have this? I wondered if it was worth adding to my library as we travel around a bit?
    http://www.publish.csiro.au/book/6518/
    I don't have it, but certainly looks like a good book

I've recently started to use the eBird website to scout out possible locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy for you guys that you have received copies from the Book Depository. Still waiting for the CSIRO ordered copy to arrive. No information on whether they have posted the book or not. Another striking, yet disappointing, display of the difference between the public service and private enterprise.

Oh well, I suppose that I might get my copy once the public servants get out of their "diversity and inclusion" meetings and figure out how to whack a stamp on a parcel and post it.
    Andrew

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Happy for you guys that you have received copies from the Book Depository. Still waiting for the CSIRO ordered copy to arrive. No information on whether they have posted the book or not. Another striking, yet disappointing, display of the difference between the public service and private enterprise.

Oh well, I suppose that I might get my copy once the public servants get out of their "diversity and inclusion" meetings and figure out how to whack a stamp on a parcel and post it.
    That's pretty poor isn't it. Reminds me of when I renewed my licence with Qld Transport and ordered a lens from EGlobal on the same day. Now it was mid December when post usually slows a bit but guess which arrived first. Yep the lens.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "The Australian Bird Guide" from the Book Depository arrived today. 8 days from the UK. Looks terrific.
    Along with a $100 wine voucher - probably a catch involved, but will check it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all the books shown below (and more) plus 3 on my phone. I use Morcombe's most on my phone (it has lots of great features) & I bought it before Pizzey & Knight's app was available. I like Pizzey & Knight's book better if I had to choose only one book even though it is bigger to transport. But I will probably get this one as well (also from Book Depository - their delivery turn around is amazing and even if it is sometimes from local stock it still delivers earlier than promised by local suppliers. All guides have their good and less good features but all are good value - I like the photo guides better than the illustrations but the new guide's illustrations are amazing!

Field Guide to the Birds of Australia
    by Simpson & Day
    The Field Guide to the Birds of Australia
    by Pizzey & Knight
    The Slater Field Guide to Australian Birds
    by Peter, Pat & Raoul Slater
    Field Guide to Australian Birds by Michael Morcombe
    Australian Birds (A concise photographic field guide) by Donald and Molly Trounson
    Photographic Field Guide to Birds of Australia by Flegg
    What Bird Is That? by Neville Cayley.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    That's pretty poor isn't it. Reminds me of when I renewed my licence with Qld Transport and ordered a lens from EGlobal on the same day. Now it was mid December when post usually slows a bit but guess which arrived first. Yep the lens.
    Copy from the CSIRO arrived this morning, little disappointed that there wasn't any shipping notification, or even tracking, considering that postage was extra.

Based on the experience, will be the last time ordering from CSIRO, will stick to Book Depository for future orders

Hope that everyone waiting for their copy receives it soon

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    Copy from the CSIRO arrived this morning, little disappointed that there wasn't any shipping notification, or even tracking, considering that postage was extra.

Based on the experience, will be the last time ordering from CSIRO, will stick to Book Depository for future orders
    Was it shipped via Australia Post? If so it's not CSIRO's problem.
    I've found Australia Post's tracking less than adequate ATM. (I'm following a lens sent to an AP member an the tracking is frustrating me big time.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Was it shipped via Australia Post? If so it's not CSIRO's problem.
    I've found Australia Post's tracking less than adequate ATM. (I'm following a lens sent to an AP member an the tracking is frustrating me big time.)
    Hi Mark,
    Yep was sent via Aus Post, but had a sticker on the parcel stating that it was untracked.
    Would have been nice for CSIRO to send notification that it had been dispatched from their warehouse, but still, main thing is that it arrived

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and purchased "Finding Australian Birds" A Field Guide to Birding Locations. Not from The Book Depository this time,most unusually their price was expensive, but from Booktopia. They were easy to deal with and offered a good price.
    The book was delivered by Aussie Post - with reservations from me having had several unhappy experiences, but this time all was good. Within a week the book arrived with excellent tracking notification along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12