Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: SLIK Tripod plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIK Tripod plate

Hi all

I got given a barely used tripod an 88N, it's very old, probably late 70s, or early 80s. It's missing the quick release plate, so I can't attach a camera. I've tried local stores, but no one is interested in helping find out if a current production plate would fit. Slik make around 10 or so. Any ideas? I could attach photos if it helps.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it’s the post that drops into the plate on the head, I think I have seen these at Photocontinental in Brisbane, albeit a few months ago.

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there's an arca compatible QR plate available somewhere that will fit ... it's highly unlikely that there isn't.

It's probably a good idea to post a photo of the parts you currently have that needs to mate with.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    If it’s the post that drops into the plate on the head, I think I have seen these at Photocontinental in Brisbane, albeit a few months ago.

Cheers

Dennis

Not sure it that's it. There's plenty of those around on ebay and some online sites, but I think I need a mounting plate, as I don't think that post will drop into the slot where the catch for it is. I'll post a pic. Actualy having posted it, a post like that could drop in. There was degraded rubber where you can see bit off white stuff, that's probably peeled off. So one of those posts could drop in. Any ideas on a part no?

] Untitled by Drubbing, on Flickr
    Last edited by Drubbing; 23-12-2013 at 10:05pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of these in the UK and probably still have it somewhere in the garage; they were an excellent tripod at the time.

You pull the Lever and insert the post then you close the Lever whilst turning it, which acts like a cam and pulls the post down onto the head and secures the camera with the ¼” post, screwed into the baseplate.

You could probably glue some rubber to the top, the same thickness as the original; too thin and the cam action won’t lock the post, too thick and the cam may not engage.

If I remember correctly, the entire head can be unscrewed leaving the tripod legs and circular head, with a ¼”x20 threaded bolt sticking out?

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've still got one of these.
    Before you spend too much money on this tripod please check the leg clamps. Over time they have a habit of splitting along the join, thereby rendering the clamp unreliable, and you may find your camera descending towards Earth at a rate you might find unacceptable - no, it didn't happen to me. Attached picciy is of what I am talking about. Five of the six clamps had split, the pic posted being the worst example. As for the adapter plate/head the image that Nardes provided looks similar to mine, however, I have no idea of sizes/different part numbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, that looks like what I need. It's been discontinued, the part is 6121, it sold for around $10, so I'll have to dig around.

Would be handy to find a square of rubber like on yours. for a bit of cushion too.

Leg clamps look fine, but I was never going to do anything silly like buy a new head assembly. For that money I could buy a new tripod. I doubt this one has had much use, but the design could make them liable to split with age. I've an old crappy vivitar one where the leg clamp lock have just disintegrated. I barely used that with my vid camera, if was jut packed away.
    Last edited by Drubbing; 25-12-2013 at 12:06am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found one on Amazon $10, plus postage. Now just need to get some rubber to seat on the plate, and all should be good. Thanks.