User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Radio Triggers for Nikon camera and flashes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio Triggers for Nikon camera and flashes

Hi All - I need some assistance in buying a few (up to 3) radio triggers for my Nikon DSLR and Nikon SB-600 and SB-800 flashes. The Pocket Wizard seems to be the best with a combination of the tt-5 and tt-1 but it comes at a BIG price of about $200 for each unit (so for 3 I'd need around $600). For about 1/3rd of the cost I can get 3 Pixel King units that seems to do pretty much the same job (especially for Nikon). I really need to understand the main difference between the 2 makes - obviously it goes that I get what I pay for but really can't justify the Pocket Wizard over the Pixel King.

Pixel King – http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=170
    Pocket Wizard – http://www.pocketwizard.com/products...tter_receiver/

Appreciate any help.
    Cheers DJ

I am a keen learner and always seeking improvement tips from others

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out Phottix, their triggers work very well and are much more financially do-able.

www.phottix.com

"It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a set of 4 Yongnu triggers and the transmitter for around $70 delivered off a cheap Chinese web site, and they work well.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick - I assume you're referring to the Phottix Odin™ TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon.

I have 2 issues with it.
    1. IT is $360 for 2 units (one transmitter and one receiver). The Pixel King is around $200 for 3 units (in Amazon)
    2. The Phottix transmitter does not have a hot shoe hence you can't attach a flash in your camera if you need to (not always necessary though).

I'd like to understand what are are the key differences (if any) betweem the Pocket Wizard, King, Phottix and any other brands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I just got a set of 4 Yongnu triggers and the transmitter for around $70 delivered off a cheap Chinese web site, and they work well.
    Hi Bennymiata - Do they perform ttl mode in flashes via the triggers and are they radio triggers (as oppossed to infra-red)?
    Last edited by dbose; 31-08-2012 at 11:45am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJ, which Nikon body are you aiming to use them on? Maybe have a read through Marks assessment of the pixel king triggers and ask him a Q or 2.

And yes, the Yongnuo are "dumb" triggers so no TTL metering is possible.
    Last edited by I @ M; 31-08-2012 at 12:09pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbose View Post
    Hi Rick - I assume you're referring to the Phottix Odin™ TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon.

I have 2 issues with it.
    1. IT is $360 for 2 units (one transmitter and one receiver). The Pixel King is around $200 for 3 units (in Amazon)
    2. The Phottix transmitter does not have a hot shoe hence you can't attach a flash in your camera if you need to (not always necessary though).

I'd like to understand what are are the key differences (if any) betweem the Pocket Wizard, King, Phottix and any other brands.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Bennymiata - Do they perform ttl mode in flashes via the triggers and are they radio triggers (as oppossed to infra-red)?
    No, click onto their website and then click 'wireless triggers' at the top, they have a large selection, the Odin is just featured on their home page cause it is their newest product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference will be reliability, range, consistency, ability to upgrade firmware and features in future, multiple groups/channels, ability to adapt via cable to trigger other units or a camera body etc.
    You are correct, you will only get what you pay for, I have the Mini x2 and Flex x6 for my bodies and SB-900's and have never had a misfire or any other issue. They just work, and work perfectly at over 50m in bright daylight (you already know they are radio not optical). Add the AC3 zone controller, and you can control the output (if using manual flash) from the camera for 3 groups with up to a 6 stop range.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    DJ, which Nikon body are you aiming to use them on? Maybe have a read through Marks assessment of the pixel king triggers and ask him a Q or 2.

And yes, the Yongnuo are "dumb" triggers so no TTL metering is possible.
    Thanks Andrew - I have the D90 and aiming to upgrade to the D700 by the end of the year. Yes I will read Mark's blog. At present it appears there are limited manufactures that do radio triggers that allow ttl mode as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dbose, they are dumb radio triggers, but if I use my ETTL cord and place a flash some distance away, I find I am always adjusting the compensation anyway, so I'm happy to use off-camera flashes manually, whcih may not be for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only reason I can see to use TTL metering in off camera work is if your in a hurry and don't have time to set up a shot..if you want to add a lighting effect to a shot..I reckon your better off with ordinary triggers and cheaper flash heads.....I have two SB700 and if Im using them in a light set up..they are typically in manual mode even when using CLS...but now I have a set of cactus V5's..I hardly if ever use CLS now.

advantages of CLS are TTL and being able to quench the output of the flash from your camera also High speed sync .

I can recommend the cactus stuff..although when using on studio strobes they are a bit big and cumbersome ,

$59us for a set of two

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus...er-v5-duo.html
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * removed- read the site rules 3-7*
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-11-2012 at 8:27am.