Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Canvas Prints

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas Prints

Hi All,
    Just curious to know if anyone else has had any issues getting the photos printed on canvas, in regards to colour change. I just picked up my first canvas print 900x600 block mounted, and i am really happy with the quality if the print itself and the block frame, but the colour is way darker than my original. My only real gripe is that I wasnt informed that there would be any colour change. Maybe i am just niave (spelling) but unless I am told there would be a difference, i shouldnt be expecting a difference.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Is there anything that can be done at all?

Cheers
    Troy
    70D, 6D, 50mm, 85mm and 17-40mm. Lee Filters and Manfrotto Tripod
    Website
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    talk to the guys at our quarterly competition sponsor. bestcanvasprintsonline and they might be able to assist.

But the first thing I would ask is..have you calibrated your screen using colorimeter? http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ration-Devices
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-01-2014 at 8:43pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm yet another item that I need to buy then....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ausfitter View Post
    Hmm yet another item that I need to buy then....
    Yep. welcome to the bottomless wallet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Just curious to know if anyone else has had any issues getting the photos printed on canvas, in regards to colour change. I just picked up my first canvas print 900x600 block mounted, and i am really happy with the quality if the print itself and the block frame, but the colour is way darker than my original. My only real gripe is that I wasnt informed that there would be any colour change. Maybe i am just niave (spelling) but unless I am told there would be a difference, i shouldnt be expecting a difference.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Is there anything that can be done at all?

Cheers
    Troy
    I think most people have their screen too bright and forget that a screen "shines" light at you whereas a print "reflects" light at you or put another way the screen is a light source the print is not so the print will be darker.
    That is certainly what I find anyway. Calibration seems to me more about colour consistency not so much brightness or lightness. Also I have lots of prints on the walls and the difference having a spot light shine on them is remarkable, get a good led torch and shine it your print and see the difference.
    David

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    I think most people have their screen too bright and forget that a screen "shines" light at you whereas a print "reflects" light at you or put another way the screen is a light source the print is not so the print will be darker.
    That is certainly what I find anyway. Calibration seems to me more about colour consistency not so much brightness or lightness. Also I have lots of prints on the walls and the difference having a spot light shine on them is remarkable, get a good led torch and shine it your print and see the difference.
    David
    Depends on the calibrator used. Some ask you to reset brightness levels etc to default, and then during the calibration process ask you to adjust brightness till you reach a target indicator as the calibrator 'reads' the screen, and then you continue to calibration process. Thus these calibrators do take brightness levels into account.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if this is right or not, but I have been told that as I use and LED screen (Imac) that there is no need to calibrate. Um is this correct? Is this just someone wanting there 2c worth but not knowing what they are talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Depends on the calibrator used. Some ask you to reset brightness levels etc to default, and then during the calibration process ask you to adjust brightness till you reach a target indicator as the calibrator 'reads' the screen, and then you continue to calibration process. Thus these calibrators do take brightness levels into account.
    Thanks Rick, that is correct and it just occurred to me what I may be able to do to improve my setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure if this is right or not, but I have been told that as I use and LED screen (Imac) that there is no need to calibrate. Um is this correct? Is this just someone wanting there 2c worth but not knowing what they are talking about?
    No it's not correct, I use an iMac and it is definately better calibrated, you can see the change when calibrating , before /after. Even multiple thousand dollar EIZO monitors need calibration and as good as Apple is I don't think they're that good!