User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: 7D 19 point autofocus - what's the point?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the second example where you have placed the centre focus point as the only focus point in use I would have expected the tree that seems to have filled a large amount of that focus point ( in the full photo at least ) to be substantially sharper than the house behind it yet we are unable to see it in the crop.

As for the first photo there appears to be an extremely large depth of field between the focus points that seem to be in use and searching for something to lock focus on.
    I don't think that a scene like this is one in which the camera should be allowed to get it right as far as focus goes.
    The real benefits of having multiple focus points in a situation comes from being able to select one of those 19 points and use it for your composition without having to frame, focus, recompose and shoot. Canon bodies can do that can't they? Nikon manage it with 51 points and have a similar setup where using predictive tracking of objects using the camera chosen points is best suited to moving objects and particularly those that are moving towards the camera.
    Last edited by I @ M; 05-03-2011 at 6:14pm.