Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bag for 50d + 400 L lens

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bag for 50d + 400 L lens

I want to buy a bag for my 50d and 400 attached. I really like the sling bags, but have been told its to big, so I am looking at backpacks. I really liked the idea of sliding it to the front to access my gear (never mind). If I can carry other gear as well - that would be good. Though, I originally did not want to go to big.

Can anyone, maybe someone who already has gear this size, recommend bags to look at. I am prepared to spend up to $200 (is this reasonable). I would buy on online or from Stu at Quality Cameras.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just bought a Lowepro slingshot 350 from an ebay store in hong kong - $132 including postage! will let you know when it arrives but i have just taken delivery of a 40D, 70-200 L lens and i also have a battery grip coming! - i also have 2 other lenses and an external flash so having done alot of reasearch im sure that the 350 will suit the job - it also has room for a laptop!

Cheers
    Kellie

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Showipix View Post
    Ive just bought a Lowepro slingshot 350 from an ebay store in hong kong - $132 including postage! will let you know when it arrives but i have just taken delivery of a 40D, 70-200 L lens and i also have a battery grip coming! - i also have 2 other lenses and an external flash so having done alot of reasearch im sure that the 350 will suit the job - it also has room for a laptop!

Cheers
    Kellie
    Thanks Kellie - though I have been told it won't fit in this bag. The 400 is 10.1" in length. I would buy it in a snap if it fitted as it is what I originally wanted.

Hey, congrats on all lovely new gear too - you are going to have some fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelley
    When you say 400L, do you mean f5.6, f4 DO or f2.8?
    This does make a substantial difference to the dimensions of the required bag and the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shelley,
    have a look at the ThinkTank "Glass Taxi" http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/glass-taxi.aspx it's a small, light and discrete (as most TT bags are) backpack that will easily handle your 400L with 50D attached plus room for a couple of short lenses or other gear.

If you want something a bit bigger consider the "Street Walker Pro". http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...-backpack.aspx

I own a "Airport Antidote V2" that carries all my gear when flying. It's light, strong and very well made.. I love it and highly recommend the TT brand.

Cheers
    John

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    Shelley
    When you say 400L, do you mean f5.6, f4 DO or f2.8?
    This does make a substantial difference to the dimensions of the required bag and the cost.
    Babu.. have a look at her sig... it's a 5.6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops. Sorry, Shelley!
    I hadn't read your gear list properly.
    Had you checked out the Flipside 400?
    It might do the job for you. It was listed at Cameras Direct for $191 on clearance.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Babu and Wobbles. Yes its the 5.6 Babu.

I will go and check these. It is quite difficult choosing a bag as you don't see many around in the shops, plus with working I don't get much time to go to shops.

My main concern going with a bigger bag is the weight as I am not very big and not sure how much I should carry on my back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would the lowepro 250 fastpack fit it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just bought a Lowepro slingshot 350
    great bag .. I got one lying around somewhere and use it occasionally. Youll fit your body+grip+70-200 tele in it no problem, plus a few extras.

Too small for Shelleys 400 though.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re bag for gear

Shelley,can you let us know what you get,and post a pic og the bag,I have a 400L prime and currently have a 450D,but will be getting a 50D very soon,so I would be most interested to hear and see how you go.I had a look at the link for 'taxi tank' bags that onther poster linked,they look very good,are these avaliable in Australia?I would like to get something like this soon.

Cheers
    Last edited by fairy bombs; 22-05-2010 at 9:53pm. Reason: extra detail
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fairy bombs View Post
    Shelley,can you let us know what you get,and post a pic og the bag,I have a 400L prime and currently have a 450D,but will be getting a 50D very soon,so I would be most interested to hear and see how you go.

Cheers
    no worries fairy bombs - i have decided to go and look at bags before I purchase, so it won't be for a week or so as I prob. will go to Stu's or into the city. I work and unfortunately have to travel to camera places as they are not close.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the Lowepro flipside 400 AW would nicely fit the bill, you can spin it around the waistband and undo to access your gear without removing as the zipper is in the inside (sits against your back).

I often have my 5D with 70-200 F4 on and still have around 100mm to the bottom of the compartment. An added bonus is that no one can unzip the bag from behind and run off with your gear and the AW has an inbulit raincoat.

The maximum length you could fit in the 400AW is 400mm lens and body combined (I measured it), the 400/5.6L is 265mm by Canon's reckoning, plus body would be well under the 400mm available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got the flipside 400, here's a pic with my gripped 7d with 100-400 attached, lens hood normal, fitting nicely with a sigma 70-200, sigma 10-20, canon 24-105 and canon 65 macro.
    Last edited by dulvariprestige; 23-05-2010 at 10:51am.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I'd say the Lowepro flipside 400 AW would nicely fit the bill, you can spin it around the waistband and undo to access your gear without removing as the zipper is in the inside (sits against your back).

I often have my 5D with 70-200 F4 on and still have around 100mm to the bottom of the compartment. An added bonus is that no one can unzip the bag from behind and run off with your gear and the AW has an inbulit raincoat.

The maximum length you could fit in the 400AW is 400mm lens and body combined (I measured it), the 400/5.6L is 265mm by Canon's reckoning, plus body would be well under the 400mm available.
    Thank you,especially for measuring. I think this is the bag I need.

Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    I've also got the flipside 400, here's a pic with my gripped 7d with 100-400 attached, lens hood normal, fitting nicely with a sigma 70-200, sigma 10-20, canon 24-105 and canon 65 macro.
    Hey, I appreciate the photo - I am convinced and think I will go and order on-line.

Thanks AP posters, you have all been helpful - as per usual. Now my next purchase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a snoot bag for my 400mm 5.6 and 5D.
    I can leave it connected.
    I have a smaller one for the 24-70mm 2.8

I'm on the train so I can't tell you the brand or send a photo.

Daryl

Daryl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re bags

Hope you can post a picture Darrell of the snoot bag you carry your gear in,

I have been having a thinking about how to cart my gear around,I bought a vanity

carry bag,it was a expensive high quality one,with a strap,and I find it just big enough

to fit my camera and 400 prime lens,I find it very good,even though it only has that in it,I usually know when I am walking out the door what my main menu item,photographically is going to be for the day,or night.

I would like to get some sort of bag for my new 17-55 F 2.8 and 50D and 70-200 F 2.8 as those items will go together for the photographic tasks I need.I like the idea of having two sets of kit,as when I am out birding I will not need all the other lenses etc.

regards FB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a couple of photos of the snoot bags.

The lens is the 400mm f/5.6L.
    The bag is a Tamrac 5630
    I got it from Michaels Camera store in Melbourne.

The instructions say it will fit a canon camera and a 9.5 inch lens and the 400mm f/5.6L is 10.1 inches and it's a snug fit.

I have a smaller one for the 24-70 f/2.8L
    As you can see, you can leave the camera on the lens and carry it as one.
    Sometimes I don't want to carry the whole camera bag. Just carry the lens I'm going to use.

The photos are different sizes, but the same file size. I was fiddling around in photo shop per the the sizing instructions.

Daryl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darylcheshire; 26-05-2010 at 12:01am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers
    Kellie
    Hi Kellie

How do you find your 350 backpack? I need something for the new 100-400mm lens and was thinking about the slingshot 300 that I can get from Teds for $135. Any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Alan
    Canon G16
    Canon 700D
    Nikon D7000
    Fujifilm X100T
    Fujifilm HS10
    Sony DSC-V1 680nm IR converted for infrared work |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the flipside 400 for a few weeks now & I find it excellent as described by "dulvariprestige"...it holds loads, can get heavy but in saying that it is very secure & comfortable on my back. I purchased it after reading reviews from members on here.

I take it to work fully loaded (just in case I fancy doing a detour to & from work for a shoot). I have degenerative spinal disease & have stabilisers implanted in my spine, so I can vouch that the bag has not caused me any additional pain problems, it is very comfortable strapped on properly.

It has a very useful shower cover & provision for a tripod & a front compartment for bit's & bob's. I like how the clips on top will secure a jacket & stretchy things on the side for my iphone & drink etc...

BTW I paid $144 from ebay & it is VERY well made. I just like the fact that all my gear it together now in this bag & I can just pick it up & go anytime...I take it everywhere now...& no one has guessed what is in the bag
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast