User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France/Germany (and now Aussie Govt) call on users to abandon Internet Explorer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

France/Germany (and now Aussie Govt) call on users to abandon Internet Explorer

Last edited by Miaow; 19-01-2010 at 10:14am. Reason: added another link
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AP officially recommend Firefox and suggest members avoid IE where possible.
    Safari and Opera are good alternates.

IE 6 is a security hole - please upgrade to IE 7 or better still IE 8 if you do intend to continue with IE.

Jan 2010 AP usage Statistics...
    Firefox 40.3 % (V3.5 31.9%)

MS Internet Explorer V8 28.5 %
    MS Internet Explorer V7 11.9 %
    MS Internet Explorer V6 3.5 % <<<<< THIS IS A HUGE WORRY !!

Safari 8.6 %
    Google Chrome 4.6 % (Has been know to have issues on AP)
    Opera 1 %
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh... some reasons why Firefox (or Opera or Safari) are more secure than IE...

http://www.io.com/~cwagner/spyware/appendix.html (Old but the principals are valid)

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-reaso...rnet-explorer/

http://www.itworld.com/security/9304...t-explorer-now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Firefox (still do sometimes).

But, it still has lot of issues of compatability with a number of websites.

Am tyoing on IE8 now.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Opera 1 %
    I am that 1 % as i use Opera Mini on my E71 Nokia phone... and it works a treat!! easy to read and easy to keep in contact even on the go... sadly i use IE 7 at work as we are not allowed to ditch it...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I tried Firefox (still do sometimes).
    But, it still has lot of issues of compatibility with a number of websites.
    Which is because some web sites are programmed to the NON STANDARD M$ ONLY way of doing thing rather than following industry standards as do Firefox, Opera, Safari etc.
    That is completely those web site providers and M$ fault.

FWIW: Most sites nowadays handle non M$ browsers properly. There are very few sites that are IE only. In part this is due to the fact that IE 8 has moved closer to proper standards support.

Edit: For AP work I develop and test with Firefox; then IE only once I'm ready to deploy. IE is the 'after thought'.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    I am that 1 % as i use Opera Mini on my E71 Nokia phone... and it works a treat!! easy to read and easy to keep in contact even on the go... sadly i use IE 7 at work as we are not allowed to ditch it...

M
    +1

also opera user.... i even DL it and installed it at work hope they dont mind

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually have a few Opera users, and at least one is quite fanatical about it. Naming no names.

It used to really give me the shits when a web site you had to use—eg a financial institution—wouldn't work in a proper browser, and their "help" staff would tell you "Oh, we only support IE" Happens less nowadays thank heaven.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problems I have with firefox are on banking sites. For this I am forced to use IE.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    The only problems I have with firefox are on banking sites. For this I am forced to use IE.
    Keith.
    Thank banking issue is caused by a firefox add-on, not firefox itself. It is caused by the AVG safe search add-on. In firefox, click in tools, add-ons and disable the AVG safe search, then try again on your banking site.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin - I found Firefox and secure sites plays up with the AVG safe search plugin - if you have AVG disable the AVG Safe Search add-on in firefox and the banking runs WAY faster ans does any secure site

Edited to add: Notice Rick beat me to it as I was posting

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Keith.
    opera 10.10 works fine with banking sites

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Firefox ... still has lot of issues of compatability with a number of websites.
    This is just wrong.

Saying "Firefox has compatibility issues with websites" is like saying "My speelchecker iz brroken bcoz eet hs poot rede uinderlines unda thees whole sentense".

Firefox is highly compatible with the international standard that govern web design. Firefox doesn't have compatibility issues, the site has problems if it doesn't work with a standards-compliant browser like Firefox. If you find a broken site, tell the webmaster to lift his game. This isn't 1997 anymore.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    This is just wrong.

Saying "Firefox has compatibility issues with websites" is like saying "My speelchecker iz brroken bcoz eet hs poot rede uinderlines unda thees whole sentense".

Firefox is highly compatible with the international standard that govern web design. Firefox doesn't have compatibility issues, the site has problems if it doesn't work with a standards-compliant browser like Firefox. If you find a broken site, tell the webmaster to lift his game. This isn't 1997 anymore.
    +1

(ps, when did we start doing this "+1" thing anyhow?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot to say: anyone still using Internet Explorer after all these years and all those warnings, and those millions upon millions of computers brought down through IE exploits ... anyone that determined to do themselves harm deserves what they get.

Right now there is a fair size pile of infected machines sitting in my workshop awaiting disinfection and cleanup. There are always a few, sometimes more, sometimes less. This week, there are more than usual, and I'm going to have to put in a lot of extra hours over the next couple of days to get them all done.

On the one hand, this makes me frustrated because I know perfectly well that close to 50% of the infections are caused by Internet Explorer's security vulnerabilities, and there is hours and hours of extra work I'll have to do to repair them all. If the owners had even the inkling of a clue, they would have used Opera or Firefox and I wouldn't have to fix their computers.I'm tired and don't want to do all that overtime!

On the other hand, I'll be well paid for my time and I'm thinking about a 1D IV so the extra cash will come in handy.

But think about it: if those idiots had enough sense to do what the security experts have been advising them to do for year after year after year, they wouldn't be without their computers right now, I would be getting home at a reasonable hour, and my 1D IV would be some hundreds of dollars further away.

So here is the deal, all you die-hard Internet Explorer users. Why don't you all move up here to Ballarat and I'll keep your systems running for you. It will mean even longer hours for me, but at $6500 for a Mark IV, I need all the virus removal jobs I can get, and as long as people run Internet Explorer, I will never run out of work.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find a broken site, tell the webmaster to lift his game. This isn't 1997 anymore.
    I did exactly that with the trading post some time ago when their site wouldn't display "further details" in firefox.
    The email I received in response went along the lines of " sorry but we designed our site for the browser that the majority use -- IE".
    Oh well, I guess it is pretty good business practice to ignore 40% of the market place, but then again, the trading post is owned by tel$tra -----------

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    +1
    (ps, when did we start doing this "+1" thing anyhow?)
    Indicating one more who agrees / votes for this. meh!

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trading post now works with Firefox - they obviously came into the 21st century.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owned by Telstra? Good grief. How did the gutless, toothless ACCC ever let that one get through? That is an absolute disgrace.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owned by Telstra? Good grief. How did the gutless, toothless ACCC ever let that one get through? That is an absolute disgrace.
    Yup! And the ditched the paper publication. Its now a crappy eBay knock off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast