The thing is everything has a cost and regardless of whether you are a pro or a hobbyist or whatever, every time you pick up your camera and walk out the door you are incuring a cost to yourself.

So if you get a chance to recover those costs then why not do it in a professional maner and take into considerations all the costs that it cost you to take that picture. Costs include, time, fuel, where and tear of your motr vehicle, entrance fees, food etc.

At the end of the day a hobbyist will sell the phot at whatever price he/she wants but then they have made a concious decision to make a loss.

I have had three articles and photos published in a national magazine and I was paid $50 per article. I estimates that it took me over ten hours of work to produce each article so I was paid at $5 per hour. But I did it because of the type of magazine (it's a free industry based one) and it gives me exposure and experience for when I get to the next level and get published in a glossy mag.

Once I get to that level - even as a hobbyist - I wont be working for $5 an hour and I will ensure that my costs are covered.

Karl