Quote Originally Posted by CathyC View Post
and I did get some OK shots using the manual focus, but the depth of field is a bit too shallow for my liking; I am sure I can play some more and get some photos I am happy with.

My dilemma now is do I go ahead with this purchase, or do I keep on the hunt for the same lens but in the AF-S version?
The depth of field is related to the distance of the camera from the subject and the aperture used. For most close up / macro photography a "starting" aperture would be F/8 and then smaller F/11, F/16 etc. Many of the photos that you may have seen and that have inspired you possibly have been done by taking multiple images at differing focus points on the subject and then combined in software to give a greater depth of field.

Choosing between the 2 types of lens to either have AF or not is fairly easy to me, I would hunt for a later version that will focus with your current body as you can always turn AF off when you desire but you can't turn it on in the earlier version. As well as being a good macro lens, the Tamron is also a very good portrait lens on either an APSC or 35mm camera and autofocus can be very handy to have in those situations.

Happy playing and thinking -----