Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Technique - AF and camera shake. Getting random quality shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chhers John, but where on earth did you hear that? My first impression was that it is complete nonsense. On thinking it over, perhaps it is something peculiar to sensor-shift IS or even the Olympus implementation of it. Or possibly it's just a myth. I have certainly never heard of such a thing applying to optical IS (as used by both Nikon and Canon, and also by Tamron, Sigma and Tokina).

Further, I have successfully used IS with high shutter speed (up to 1/8000th) for many, many thousands of shots with a wide variety of lenses, including the Canon 70-300L, 100-400 Marks I and II, 500/4 Mark I and 600/4 II. Nowhere in the Canon literature is it recommended to turn off IS for high shutter speeds, and Canon are generally very good about providing that kind of advice. A Nikon person might be able to confirm my assumption that the same applies to Nikon's VR.

Canon has not released a lens which requires IS to be switched off when using a tripod since some time last century, and similar remarks apply to Nikon's VR lenses. I'm not sure when Sigma, Tamron and Tokina IS implementations became tripod-safe, but I rather suspect that they always were insofar as none of the third-party makers had an IS product at all until well after Canon (and probably Nikon too) had dealt with the tripod compatibility problem. It was only ever an issue with a handful of very early IS lenses, all of them long since discontinued, and few of them likely to be still in daily use after all these years.

Of my long-lens shots (these are the one where I am most likely to be using high shutter speeds), I handhold about a third, take another third or perhaps a quarter using the car windowsill as a rest, and the remainder with a tripod. I never turn the IS off except for flight shots, and often not even then. Here is what happens when you use a Canon IS lens with a tripod at 1/8000th. (In this case, it was a Canon 500/4.)

That's not a fluke shot. That sort of clarity is what one can expect as routine, given (a) nice light, and (b) no silly mistakes by the photographer.

(Why did I use 1/8000th and a high ISO? I was set up for flight shots and this little chap decided to sit still.)

Here is another one: 1/4000th, tripod, Canon 600/4 II.

Years ago, some people used to recommend switching IS off at higher shutter speeds, not for any direct image quality reason, but because IS systems used to slow down auto-focus. Not by much, but enough to make a difference. And it does (this is why I turn it off for flight shots), or rather, it used to. On my old 500/4 Mark I, for example, it can make a slight but visible difference. With newer IS lenses, AF in the preferred IS Mode 3 is lightning fast. (I should be careful here not to exaggerate: AF on the older IS L Series lenses is still very quick indeed. We are not talking chalk and cheese differences in AF speed with IS on or off, just a moderate effect which is usually worth tolerating in exchange for the extra sharpness of a stabilised image.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

Canon has not released a lens which requires IS to be switched off when using a tripod since some time last century, and similar remarks apply to Nikon's VR lenses. I'm not sure when Sigma, Tamron and Tokina IS implementations became tripod-safe, but I rather suspect that they always were insofar as none of the third-party makers had an IS product at all until well after Canon (and probably Nikon too) had dealt with the tripod compatibility problem. It was only ever an issue with a handful of very early IS lenses, all of them long since discontinued, and few of them likely to be still in daily use after all these years. ...
    (Certainly on another forum) --- Oh, hang on! Here too a couple of times --- it was the evangel to "switch off IS when using a tripod"
    So at first I did, using the Σ50-500. - Nope! - I got camera shake. Anyway, I quietly and heretically left it on... Anyway, I can routinely hand-hold it
    at f=500mm to about 1/200sec. - Because of the IS, not my bi- and triceptal prowess

PS: About that rule-of-thumb: be careful when using a hammer
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    A Nikon person might be able to confirm my assumption that the same applies to Nikon's VR.
    Have a quick look at this guide.
    http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm
    First two paragraphs already addresses the issue of when to/not to use VR. Article is 8 years old but I'm not aware of anything that has changed unfortunately.
    I think it's not so much VR (or IS) can't work above a certain shutter speed, only that it can introduce artifacts.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com