Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Front of lens - yeah!

Try specs of dust on the rear element

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmmmmm.......might just go out the back and hit the front element of my 300 f2.8 and see if it's true ....back in a mo..........................

Nah seriously, it does take a lot of muck on the glass to have any effect, I even have a large scratch on the back element of my Tammy 28-75 with no adverse effects which did surprise me.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IN GENERAL you really only start to notice the affects of scratches and dust on lens elements if two conditions exist.... shooing into a light source(haze or loss of contrast) and stopping down to apertures like f/11 in some cases and smaller.. I've generally found f/16-f/22 to be apertures to avoid if your lens has dust on it.

usually, bad technique, misfocusing, bad tripod, lack of mirror lockup(if the bad tripod is still being used), placing one's fingers in front of the lens element (such as when handholding Cokin GND's ) .. all contribute to more loss of IQ, than a few scratches and/or some dust and haze will.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all well and good, but if a lens has been treated carelessly and allowed to get scratched and marked, then there may be inside damage invible to the eye. So on the buying front, I'd go for the well cared for lens every time.

I've often noticed an incredible amoount of muck on mine while out shotting in windy /dusty conditions, but as you say, it does not seem to effect the photos.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truely is interesting. I know I'm not a clean nazi when I'm out and about. I don't set out to get my gear dirty, but if I get a collection of dust or rain mist on the front element I typically leave it until I can get home and clean it methodically and properly.

On a side note that lens has terrible vignetting.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this quite interesting: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches

Lens scratches and dust won't directly manifest itself on the photograph, but they will indirectly through increased flare and reduced contrast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool
    This also hold true for filters btw.
    The fine scratches they take don't show up in any photo - I know, I've pixel peeped to try and see them. For the record, my lenses come out of the box and get a hoya UV on them before I even put them on the camera, so if they were going to be scratches anywhere they'd be on the filter.

Also consider that a reflex lens has a huge centre area that it can't see through and yet there's no black circle in the middle.
    Only cause I am proud of it, my gear;
    Sony A700 | Sony DT 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG HSM | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II EX DG HSM | Lensbaby Composer | Lensbaby Optic Kit | HVL-F56AM | VG-C70AM | Slik Pro 713CF Tripod | Slik Pro 381CF Monopod

Please feel free to rework my photos, but give me step-by-step instructions on what you did. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    I found this quite interesting: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches

Lens scratches and dust won't directly manifest itself on the photograph, but they will indirectly through increased flare and reduced contrast
    That is quite amazing, I was expecting to see some minor damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read.