Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News.com using Flickr photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News.com using Flickr photos

Hi all,

Not sure if this is commonplace or not, but I noticed that News.com were using photos from Flickr in one of their galleries advertising 'Beach Breaks'. Here's a link to one of the images:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holida...3270746?page=3

Am I too cynical in thinking that this is an attempt to keep costs down? Or do you think the photographers are getting financial reward for use of their photos?

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I remember a few years back.... A young girl from Australia was used in a Virgin mobile commerical in the USA with out her consent. It seemed at the time, the Flikr user agreement allowed Flickr to sell the photos to any of their partners unless you opted out somewhere in your settings. Most people dont read the fine print. Her uncle or such uploaded the full sized image taken with a dSLR so they had a high quality image.

I am not sure if they have changed anything or not, but I did read somewhere some major stock agencies were looking at Flickr for an agreement on something.

I sure hope at least these days they tell the photo owner if someone wants to use it..

*Canon 400D. Canon 7D, Canon A720 P&S + Underwater housing, Panasonic DMC-TZ-10 ; Underwater housing.
    *Canon 70-200 L F4 IS USM, Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Sigma 10 - 20mm, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Nifty 50, Sigma 135-400 4.5-5.6, 18-55 Kit Lens in reverse mode, Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300, Kenko set of extension tubes. Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i7.
    * Slik Tripod with ball head. 2 other Slik Tripods. Lowepro Backpack Camera Bag.

My Site | DA Site | Rock Photos | Saipan Photos

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up the image in question.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dearanxiety/4710917403/

It has a Creative Commons licence.

I'm not terribly familiar with CC licences and how news.com.au's usage fits with that, but here is the CC licencing as applied to that image:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/deed.en

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er, the info on that photo says it was taken on 15 Sept 2010??
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Getty and Flickr also have an agreement about using Flickr stored photos. It probably goes without saying that most large media groups would have deals with Getty... I am sure you can join the dots
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Johnno pointed out the image is under a no derivations, attribution CC license.
    What that allows is the transmition & distribution of the image provided it is attributed in the way requested[1] and that it is not modified to form a derivative work.
    Interestingly the author also has the image available via Flickr's Getty agreement. This is an odd arrangement for the flickr user as under the CC license potential users of the image don't have to pay Getty anything.

It is more likely the newspaper is using it under the CC license rather than the Getty agreement though. Why do I say this ? 'cause newspapers, esp. their online presence, are cheap.

[1] The flickr terms of service state that images can "shared" on the 'net provided they are linked back to the flickr photo page. The website in question has not done this and may therefore be in a breach of the terms of service. I say may because they do refer to the site name and the user ID as an attribution so that might be enough to qualify.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be extremely wary of using Flikr.

Simply put, the terms and conditions of use is something that has always put me off using it.

I've never understood why so many people do. The terms and conditions have always been fairly awful.

At the end of the day, those who do choose to use a site or sites like Flikr, should never forget the saying that "there's no free lunch".

Why do so many people expect a site to host their images, and not expect some price to pay ?
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post

Simply put, the terms and conditions of use is something that has always put me off using it.

I've never understood why so many people do. The terms and conditions have always been fairly awful.

At the end of the day, those who do choose to use a site or sites like Flikr, should never forget the saying that "there's no free lunch".

Why do so many people expect a site to host their images, and not expect some price to pay ?
    +1
    That's why I don't use it. Free image harvesting at it's best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never understood why so many people do.
    It's simple William. The vast majority of users, except some enthusiasts, look forward to their image being "used" with or without permission. Commercial/professionals simply don't use the site for obvious reasons. Good place to put your "seconds" if you're confident with your work.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    It's simple William. The vast majority of users, except some enthusiasts, look forward to their image being "used" with or without permission. Commercial/professionals simply don't use the site for obvious reasons. Good place to put your "seconds" if you're confident with your work.

Thats odd, all I ever receive or read is complaints that someone has used their image from Flikr ? And they dont appear to be ever happy about it.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use flickr with a Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Creative Commons license.
    I rarely put up hi-res stuff

http://creativecommons.org/

Getty is opt-in on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/#2251

So as long as you set up your account correctly there is no problem.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That didnt stop several high profile companies (in Europe) using images from Flikr.

Law courts are now dealing with several case - with one class action ongoing.

BTW they were enthusiasts who had posted there holiday shots on Flikr, and they had correctly set up their accounts.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That didnt stop several high profile companies (in Europe) using images from Flikr.
    Law courts are now dealing with several case - with one class action ongoing.
    BTW they were enthusiasts who had posted there holiday shots on Flikr, and they had correctly set up their accounts.
    If they had set up their accounts (i.e. licensing) then it makes the case clear.
    Whoever used the images is in trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The calibre of the company's would surprise you. One was Virgin Mobile :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20896643/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to all this but mine say Copyright all rights reserved and i checked the Getty box to say "Available for Request to License"

Is that normal and does it mean I still have control over my images, I don't mind someone using them provided I approve of the use and if its commercial use I get paid, assuming of course i ever produce anything good enough. As Redgum has pointed out I have to say, I would be pleased as punch if they did want too.
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flikr ... I've never understood why so many people do. The terms and conditions have always been fairly awful.
    In what way?

My Flickr account is a "Pro" account (ie, one for which I pay, as opposed to the far more limited free account). My "lunch" was free for the five or ten minutes before I decided that it was worth parting with some legal tender.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Commercial/professionals simply don't use the site for obvious reasons.
    I think you might be surprised at how many commercial photographers do have a presence there. Flickr's non-commercial usage requirement notwithstanding, it's unlikely that pro photographers with a presence there would use it as a shop-front; it could simply be another avenue for publicity or contact, much as many commercial organisations have presences on Facebook and Twitter.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 06-09-2010 at 6:10pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    I am new to all this but mine say Copyright all rights reserved and i checked the Getty box to say "Available for Request to License"

Is that normal and does it mean I still have control over my images, I don't mind someone using them provided I approve of the use and if its commercial use I get paid, assuming of course i ever produce anything good enough. As Redgum has pointed out I have to say, I would be pleased as punch if they did want too.
    You have (chosen) the default All Rights Reserved licence, which essentially means that your images are not freely available for people to use however they please.

However, it is important to understand that simply declaring all rights reserved is not going to stop people from using your images in an unauthorised manner. If you place an image on the Web, be it on Flickr or anywhere, people will have a copy by mere virtue of having seen it, and anyone who wishes to use it in an unauthorised manner can do so.

If you have opted into making your images available to Getty, Getty should contact you if it wishes to use one of your images.

I don't know the terms of Getty's usage, as I have specifically opted out of that and have not been contacted by Getty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    In what way?

First of all I suppose I should point out that my comments referred to the free accounts.

This is in particular why I choose not to consider Flikr as providing something that I trust or have faith in:

CONTENT SUBMITTED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR INCLUSION ON THE SERVICE

Yahoo!7 does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo!7 the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

* With respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of Yahoo!7 Groups, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purposes of providing and promoting the specific Yahoo!7 Group to which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo!7 removes such Content from the Service.
    * With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo!7 Groups, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo!7 removes such Content from the Service.
    * With respect to Content other than photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo!7 Groups, the perpetual, irrevocable and fully sub-licensable license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post

My Flickr account is a "Pro" account (ie, one for which I pay, as opposed to the far more limited free account). My "lunch" was free for the five or ten minutes before I decided that it was worth parting with some legal tender.

I think you might be surprised at how many commercial photographers do have a presence there. Flickr's non-commercial usage requirement notwithstanding, it's unlikely that pro photographers with a presence there would use it as a shop-front; it could simply be another avenue for publicity or contact, much as many commercial organisations have presences on Facebook and Twitter.
    I dont think I would be I dont doubt that a presence works for some. But if you saw how many ad agencies and graphic designers used it for "inspiration" and eventual production of "mood boards", and "creative/art direction" when commissioning other photographers, you might think differently.

Yes I agree with you about having a presence. But I personally wouldnt be posting non watermarked images. Would I be right in pointing out that Flikr strips the metadata of your images ? Why would that be required ?

If it works for you that's fine. I simply choose not to place faith in the corporate jungle of the Yahoo Groups - which I believe includes News.com.au. And if you read those terms and conditions that usage within the groups I suspect may include News.com.au. Which would answer the OP's question.

I actually dont know many people who have Flikr accounts, because of the lack of faith in the system. That and the repeated misuse of the system - which admittedly has nothing to do with Flikr but more the ignorance or deliberate misuse by many companies and individuals.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is in particular why I choose not to consider Flikr as providing something that I trust or have faith in:
    I don't see any problem with that.

It's basically saying that Flickr can use your images on its site to promote itself.

[QUOTE=Longshots;671464]But I personally wouldnt be posting non watermarked images.[/QUOT]

An individual choice, of course. Some do, and some don't.

Would I be right in pointing out that Flikr strips the metadata of your images ?
    No, you wouldn't be correct about that.

Flickr doesn't strip the metadata from my images.

Here's one of my images, showing the metadata intact:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenedis/4448510259/meta/

I actually dont know many people who have Flikr accounts
    I know plenty of people who have them, but given I have a presence there, that's not at all surprising. :-)

That and the repeated misuse of the system - which admittedly has nothing to do with Flikr but more the ignorance or deliberate misuse by many companies and individuals.
    Misuse of images can happen even if you self-host. It's not a problem exclusive to Flickr as you recognise.

Your self-hosted site doesn't give you any protection from misuse of your images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flickr is misused because people are silly enough to post high res (or high-enough res) photos up and then make them publicly available.

I've used Flickr for a while now and never had a problem with them. I know loads of photographers (professional and professional enthusiasts) who use it as a platform for their work who, likewise, have never had a problem. Then again, we don't post images straight from the camera and certainly rarely without a watermark.

The Flickr TOS is standard across the board for any online gallery site.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast