Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: My cheap P&S now has manual modes, and can save in RAW

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My cheap P&S now has manual modes, and can save in RAW

You may have already heard of it, but I just discovered it by accident. CHDK. This is alternative firmware (overlays in RAM, so doesn't change the camera permanently) for many Canon cameras, including my Powershot AS100 IS, that provides many features not included in cheap cameras, like saving in DNG raw, manual/overide, histogram display, DOF calculator and even more - such as scripting.

I have just now been able to get it working in mine, even though the version for my camera is only at alpha development. It makes my cheap P&S so much more powerful - for free!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Features

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RAW gives you more to work with it PP. You can do more in DPP (did that software come with your camera?) before you go and play in GIMP.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    RAW gives you more to work with it PP. You can do more in DPP (did that software come with your camera?) before you go and play in GIMP.
    DPP did not seem to be on the CD with my camera. I have many options under linux though. I am currently using Shotwell to manage my photos and basic stuff, and it links to an external editor - and for that I use Gimp.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodonyer. I forgot all about this. Read about it a few years ago.
    I dunno if DPP is free, but if you google "dpp software" you will get a swag of download sites.
    If you click on the flower image in this one DPP will download, but he says it's not the latest.
    http://www.cdifoto.com/dpp.php
    Am.

...AND THEN I SAW you use Linux. Well, I then searched "dpp software for linux", and got another swag of references.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 13-05-2013 at 9:39am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHDK does more then just RAW and MF, it allows the use of scripts, which open a whole nother universe of ideas like:

Point and shoot with a lightning trigger - It uses the Infared sensor and automatically opens the shutter on a strike.

Timelapse scripts with ramping exposures (makes the exposure longer as the sun goes down)'
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, late as usual - though it might not matter - I can't remember whether CHDK voids warranty. Just a thought.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHDK does not void warranty, as it is not a permanent change. Once you turn the camera off, it automatically reverts to the original firmware, and you need to "reinstall" it each time you boot up the camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats interesting , But a PainITA , I was going to comment and say , It would void warranty , Thanks Greg
    Last edited by William; 13-05-2013 at 3:36pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, CHDK is the PITA William, it's not exactly user friendly. The menus are tiny, so unless you have a P&S with a decent screen, it's hard to read.

But, having it automatically uninstall is great because it means you can hand your camera to anyone and it'll just work.

Then when you want to do something tricky, you can just reboot and flash, it only takes a few seconds.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thats interesting , But a PainITA , I was going to comment and say , It would void warranty , Thanks Greg
    Not really a pita, as you can make it auto load if you decide you like it. Just turn the camera on normally, and it loads so fast you don't even notice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Actually, CHDK is the PITA William, it's not exactly user friendly. The menus are tiny, so unless you have a P&S with a decent screen, it's hard to read.

But, having it automatically uninstall is great because it means you can hand your camera to anyone and it'll just work.

Then when you want to do something tricky, you can just reboot and flash, it only takes a few seconds.
    When you add it to your SD card, and make it autoload, you just use the SD card write protect lock to switch the autoload feature on or off. (This doesn't prevent writing to the card when you take photos - it's just a software function). The menus can be tiny - glad mine has a 3" LCD. The extra OSD information is really great though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    CHDK does more then just RAW and MF, it allows the use of scripts, which open a whole nother universe of ideas like:

Point and shoot with a lightning trigger - It uses the Infared sensor and automatically opens the shutter on a strike.

Timelapse scripts with ramping exposures (makes the exposure longer as the sun goes down)'

Yes, can't wait to explore writing my own scripts. So much scope for experimentation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Goodonyer. I forgot all about this. Read about it a few years ago.
    I dunno if DPP is free, but if you google "dpp software" you will get a swag of download sites.
    If you click on the flower image in this one DPP will download, but he says it's not the latest.
    http://www.cdifoto.com/dpp.php
    Am.

...AND THEN I SAW you use Linux. Well, I then searched "dpp software for linux", and got another swag of references.
    What doesn't run under Wine, will run in a VMWare virtual machine. I have spare processors and memory that hardly ever get used in my machine, so running , say, XP in a virtual machine in a Window is easy, and fast.

That said, native linux photo management apps are common and work very well. I don't think I am missing much.
    Last edited by Dazz1; 13-05-2013 at 6:10pm.