Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Repair - Help!

Hi Olympus Users,

I am in need of help!

I have had a catastrophe and dropped my E-M1 Mark 11 with my 12-100 Pro lens attached. Very upset. STUPIDLY transferred them to an unpadded bag for ease of transportation and the strap slipped from my hand. It only fell from about 12 inches and I am amazed that damage was done at all, but it must have just landed in an awkward position and distorted where they both join together.

I rang Olympus but got an operator with a foreign voice and a rather garbled explanation of what I should do that I could not follow. I went into the website and found the Repair Form, but I gathered from the operator that I had to do something online first.

If anyone has had experience of sending cameras in for repair I would appreciate some guidance as to the steps I should take.

Lyn.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again - shortly after writing this I sent an email to Olympus and am very happy to report that they got back immediately with simple instructions as to what to do.
    In this case speaking to a live person was not as satisfying as the Internet. Should be straight sailing now - I hope!
    Cheers Lyn.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's for a (cheap and) speedy recovery of said gear.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Here's for a (cheap and) speedy recovery of said gear.
    Thank you Am - in a way I asked for this - I have always said “how on earth can people drop cameras?” and I can tell you it happens very easily.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you can say, "I know just how people drop cameras ONTO the earth!"
    (And I'd better shuddup in case I do it )

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Now you can say, "I know just how people drop cameras ONTO the earth!"
    (And I'd better shuddup in case I do it )
    Ooooh Yes! Never Tempt Fate.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lyn, sorry about your misfortune. If you need them, I have names at Olympus Sydney repair centre. PM me if you need help.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Lyn, sorry about your misfortune. If you need them, I have names at Olympus Sydney repair centre. PM me if you need help.
    Thank you John - as we speak I have done the paperwork and will post the gear off tomorrow. Will keep you posted as to how things progress. Miserable business.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Sorry to hear this Lyn.

I have sent my E-M1 into Olympus twice and would not do it a third time which was earlier this year.
    The lovely Australian English Speaking Lady lady gave me a estimate over the phone when I told her I do not want to send it in.
    The Shutter Button died so she had a fair idea of the cost, and it was cheaper to buy a used E-M1 on ebay so I did

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    So Sorry to hear this Lyn.

I have sent my E-M1 into Olympus twice and would not do it a third time which was earlier this year.
    The lovely Australian English Speaking Lady lady gave me a estimate over the phone when I told her I do not want to send it in.
    The Shutter Button died so she had a fair idea of the cost, and it was cheaper to buy a used E-M1 on ebay so I did
    I am scared to think what the cost may be MA - I have no idea just what the extent of the damage is, we will just have to wait and see and decide from there. I have had Olympus for many, many years with no problems at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may like to consider a third-party repairer instead. Like other members here, I have had excellent service from Peter at Accurate Instrument Repair in Petrie, Brisbane. But doubtless there are other good ones. Would you be better off with a good third-party repairer than with Olympus? I don't know. Just saying it is something to think about.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    You may like to consider a third-party repairer instead. Like other members here, I have had excellent service from Peter at Accurate Instrument Repair in Petrie, Brisbane. But doubtless there are other good ones. Would you be better off with a good third-party repairer than with Olympus? I don't know. Just saying it is something to think about.
    Thank you Tony - I am a little nervous about going down that path - will wait and see how it all unfolds with Olympus first but thank you for the thought.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no!

Hope all goes well with the repair, please update the thread as you get more info
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Thank you Tony - I am a little nervous about going down that path - will wait and see how it all unfolds with Olympus first but thank you for the thought.
    Keep it as an option tho!
    (from experience).

I had an issue on my D800E, when the front mounted 10 pin(accessory) port caved itself inwards.
    Never had any issue with the same port on my D300(which copped many more years of abuse, by comparison), and I suspect it was a faulty made bit.
    No worries, it happens sometimes.
    Do you think Nikon(aus) would have any interest to listen on the issue?
    I did some searching and found quite a few D800's had the same issue.. and even a letter from Nikon Germany accepting that the issue was real(in a limited number of units).
    But even before looking, Nikon Aus claimed that there was no such issue at all(even tho I emailed them the notice from Nikon Germany).

Didn't even consider them to repair it, so looked around found some places, some that referred me to other places too.
    Went with the indie repairer in the city(which I hate going into) .. got it fixed no worries.
    Wasn't extremely cheap by any means, but a little more than the cost of Nikon Aus just looking at it ! ... which they were never going to do(to my gear).

And then the thought occurred to me(well after the repair was done) .. I actually prefer to support the small independent repairer much more so than the fat, top heavy, blood sucking corporate entity .. oops! I meant overpaid executives' slaries .. err .. company

ps. I did actually want to do the repair myself, and I reckon could have easily done. But there was a small part(a gasket, maybe) that I couldn't get as a part ... to close it all up properly.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    Oh no!

Hope all goes well with the repair, please update the thread as you get more info
    Will do Andy - Have got over the initial shock now and with heart in mouth posted it off to Olympus/Sydney. Posted it lunchtime Thursday and it got there lunchtime Friday - good old Aussie Post who I confess I have berated loudly in the past.
    Awaiting a quote now. At least I have my old Em5 1 to snap away with in it's absence. And must confess at this stage that it has made me realise just how good the E1 Mark 2 is.
    Last edited by Floribunda; 13-10-2019 at 7:31pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further update - I have to say that Oympus have been marvellous - they said I was just SO very unlucky and that although the lens is as tough as, it must have just fallen at exactly the wrong spot.
    The camera body mount has to be replaced - no great cost
    BUT - the rear mount had come away from the lens barrel and the screw mount has to be replaced as well. So a new frame for the Outer Gyro Unit.
    I thought the labour costs were horrendous but ...... skill involved I guess.
    $500 all up Ugh. Household Insurane may help, but I think there is an excess involved so phone calls have to be made.
    And should have it back by the end of this week.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that it worked out Lyn

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    Glad to hear that it worked out Lyn
    Apart from the hit in the pocket nerve!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the gyro damage ... sounds cheap!
    Lens mount would be normal .. even if 'OK' .. I'd have asked for it to be renewed.

Good one Olympus.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Apart from the hit in the pocket nerve!
    True, but still much cheaper than replacing both (at least that is what I would tell myself )

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Considering the gyro damage ... sounds cheap!
    Lens mount would be normal .. even if 'OK' .. I'd have asked for it to be renewed.

Good one Olympus.
    I had sort of thought Arthur that the cost would be about that - flying absolutely blind of course never damaged camera gear before.
    It is inconsequential cost really when you consider the investment in the camera and Pro lens. Best avoided, but as I always tell myself - it can always be worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast