It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rail safety message... dumb ways to die... gone Viral

This has been very effective and funny.

20+ million hits in a week, produced by the Government!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    effective and funny but the rail part didn't come till the end
    Jimmy!!!
    Nikon D3400 18-55mm kit lens AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f4-5.6G ED VR 2 tri-pods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working for Metro Trains Melb and their predecessor Connex, I see actions by idiots like this literally every week.
    Idiots bouncing soccer balls on the platform until it falls on tracks...then jumping in the pit after it.
    Idiots running across the track when the gates are closed....because they might miss their train (only 4 minutes to the next one in the morning peak on the line that I work on).
    Idiots trying to open the door of a train that is leaving because:
    • A) They can't organise their time a bit better to get to the station a minute or so earlier.
    • B) Their job is more important than their life....or so they think.

Idiots wearing headphones with the music so loud they are oblivious to what is happening around them.
    At one station I have seen a person run across the track to get the train to Melb and not looking to see what is coming down the other track...like a 300 tonne V/Line express traveling in excess of 90km/h....missed him by a cat's whisker...but the force of it's passing knocked him off his feet.
    ...and the list of idiocy and stupidity around trains goes on....and on...and on.
    Maybe this ad will save a life or two....but sadly....I doubt it!
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish safety screens (like those used in Hong Kong) could be installed.. would save a lot of lives..
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    I wish safety screens (like those used in Hong Kong) could be installed.. would save a lot of lives..
    Cotton wool society? Do we really want that? How about personal responsibility, maybe we make people responsible for their own actions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the ad! I still have the song going around and around in my head.....
    Choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the warning labels off everything and let the problem sort itself out

Good ad, I'm assuming the TV version is a lot shorter. It's good to see a good message going viral for once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Cotton wool society? Do we really want that? How about personal responsibility, maybe we make people responsible for their own actions!
    But people aren't taking responsibility for their own actions which is to the detriment of society, in which case the State needs to take steps to protect them.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifor View Post
    But people aren't taking responsibility for their own actions which is to the detriment of society, in which case the State needs to take steps to protect them.
    When I was in primary school the monkey bars were over asphalt, we learned not to fall!

We are making a weak society.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxdrakexx View Post
    effective and funny but the rail part didn't come till the end
    It's a train m8, lucky it arrived at all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in primary school the monkey bars were over asphalt, we learned not to fall!

We are making a weak society.
    Amen to that Kym, and even when we did fall we learned how to take evasive action to lessen any damage
    Regardless of the signs, warnings, barriers, rules, laws and safety measures we put in place we will still never prevent stupidity.....and society seems to be becoming more and more stupid every day
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4L, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + Vanguard Ball Head + Kenova fluid pan head
    Kirk Enterprises Low Pod + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head + Velbon Super Mag Slider
    GoPro Hero2
    Bags, Cases and lots of other bibs and bobs

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishographer View Post
    Amen to that Kym, and even when we did fall we learned how to take evasive action to lessen any damage
    Regardless of the signs, warnings, barriers, rules, laws and safety measures we put in place we will still never prevent stupidity.....and society seems to be becoming more and more stupid every day
    Society becoming more stupid is not the real problem. Society rewarding people for their stupidity is. It seems that if people trip they have to have to have someone to blame for them not being able to lift their own feet. Let me give you an example. We have a train crossing that we have to go over every day to get to work. It is guarded by a STOP sign. No barriers, lights. It is not a busy train line. However, there are numerous (filmed) examples of near misses due to people not stopping to let the train through. We brought it up in meetings with the guys. Feedback was that we should put up lights and barriers because you cannot expect people to stop at a STOP sign. REALLY??? They hold us responsible for their inability (unwillingness) to obey instructions.

Sadly, if anyone was to get hurt on this crossing I dare say the outcome would be that we somehow owed them because they could not obey instructions. My opinion is anyone not stopping should be sacked on the spot. But then we wold probably be wrong in that because it would be unfair to the idiot that cannot follow instructions - sigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this. My family really enjoyed watching this video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so darn cute!!! I could watch it over and over!

Will it stop idiots??? Nope.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is sad, is the railway workers and emergency services having to clean up the mess and deal with the after effects. I have zero care factor for the dumb-arses that actually do this. The sooner Darwin rids the world of them, the better, in my opinion.

Great video and catchy tune, I kept singing it all day yesterday..damn you Kym
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    Will it stop idiots??? Nope.
    At least the message is being heard by people (esp. young uns) who had not taken any notice in the past.
    Effective communication to your target audience was the goal, and well done in this case.

I work in the Rail industry and see a lot more than I want to of death and injury. 99.9999% preventable by following the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make something idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot...

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some parody clips on youtube now. I guess that means the think is a real hit