User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Adobe to let you "rent" downloads!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe to let you "rent" downloads!

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/busi...011-1li72.html

Company will sell Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign downloads.

Adobe Systems is overhauling the way it sells its most popular software to spur more frequent purchases by distributing programs over the internet.

Chief technology officer Kevin Lynch plans to release what Adobe calls its Creative Cloud software package early next year. The company will let customers rent programs on a monthly basis and share their work across PCs and mobile devices, rather than make larger purchases, such as Photoshop CS5 that can cost more than $1,400 in Australia.
    The big question is the pricing, not mentioned here...
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is a good idea.

I could never afford to purchase a full copy, and there would have been no way I would've been able to become a graphics designer if I wasn't able to receive a copy through an * removed - site rule breach * from somebody else.

Student copies were out of the question when I first started out.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-10-2011 at 6:35pm.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I reckon we will see more and more of this. Both to make software more affordable, but to also level out the income streams that some of these companies must have. How much better budgeting wise is it, for both parties. Pricing will be the next thing that we need to see to determine if this is a cost effective option for the enthusiast.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most people I know, the Adobe software out there is just not affordable straight off the bat.

When it comes to expensive things, it is easier for me to go on to payment plans (fortnight, monthly, etc) as I get paid monthly and need to balance a lot of things.

Having a monthly plan like they're proposing above would make things like that easier for both me, and many people I know who want to try this out

Means they can go legit, * removed - site rule breach *
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-10-2011 at 6:34pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe's had a subscription (pay by the month) scheme for CS5 for some time now. I wonder how this is meant to be different?

By the same token, their "student" policy is so loose most people can get CS5 for only a couple $3-400. Apparently doing a 2 hour course at Michael's qualifies, at least according to Michael's

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there might be some kind of "per use" model?
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    I wonder if there might be some kind of "per use" model?
    Would that mean you could just leave the software open, and never close it? Making a single session last for a really really long time? =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont' think it is a rent-to-buy, or a pay-by-month scheme either. It is a rental and when you have finished, you give it back and don't have it anymore. After a while though, it would end up costing the user alot more than buying outright BUT that is always the way with all rentals (DVD's, exercise equipment etc). It may seem a small amount per month (whatever that amount will be) but if the user has it for a long time, then whammo, big bikkies gone!!

I think saving up and then buying is the best option....or using this to see if you like the product, then save and own.

In regards to leaving the session open all the time, and only 'paying' for one session....I am pretty sure that they have figured a way out of that. It is probably timed, say, for a 4 hour stint and then it clocks over to the next payed session!
    Last edited by Ms Monny; 12-10-2011 at 9:54am.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny