Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D3200 help - DCR-250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D3200 help - DCR-250

Hey guys,
    I have purchased Nikon D-3200 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR Kit.
    I love to take extreme close shots. in normal camera - Macro mode. my Sony T-100 served me well with Macro shots to capture even small insects inside flowers. now i want to do more with DSLR. i know limitation with Macro when it comes to DSLR. so i need advise on buying lens or converter specially for Macro photography / extreme close shots. here is what suggested to me -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raynox-DC...2812eec&_uhb=1

DCR-150 or DCR-250?

or any other lens you can suggest? just spent a lot with this Twin kit DSLR + spare batter + 64GB card + Tripod + camera bag etc..
    so please suggest best cost effective solution for Macro shots !!!! even anything from classified would also do.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a cheaper start up system, I'd recommend looking for a Hoya closeup filter set.

I think they usually sell for about $50ish on ebay.

The kit consists of a few closeup filters .. actually they're not filters at all!! They're lenses(or dipoters) .. but that's beside the point .... and they each have a + factor.
    Get the 'filter' size that suits your lenses best(from memory, that may be 52mm for both your lenses).

Probably a good way to start off. But if you get more interested in closeup/macro photography, nothing beats an actual macro lens for quality reproductions!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    For a cheaper start up system, I'd recommend looking for a Hoya closeup filter set.

I think they usually sell for about $50ish on ebay.

The kit consists of a few closeup filters .. actually they're not filters at all!! They're lenses(or dipoters) .. but that's beside the point .... and they each have a + factor.
    Get the 'filter' size that suits your lenses best(from memory, that may be 52mm for both your lenses).

Probably a good way to start off. But if you get more interested in closeup/macro photography, nothing beats an actual macro lens for quality reproductions!
    thanks for the help !!! could you please give me any URL where i can buy that 50$ on ebay and even link for actual macro lens? let me see if i can manage the budget but macro lens is must for me

is this the one you are talking ?
    http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/2307...d=230778697690
    Last edited by avi; 07-10-2013 at 7:11pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep!
    That Borwin set you linked too is basically the same thing as the Hoya set.

Note tho, I've never heard of Borwin before, so the quality of the set may be questionable.

I think tho, that at those prices, these would be something to take a punt on, and if they don't work well ... well it's not a lot of money thrown at the venture.

Just as a comparison, a proper dioptre(that's only one closeup lens, not a set of) from Canon would cost closer to $100 or so for that size filter.

Hopefully a set like those Borwins will at least do the job.

If you do get them, post up some sample images.

FWIW: you posted a link to the 58mm set of closeup filters. I'm fairly sure the lenses you have use 52mm filter threads .. the size of the filter threads is marked on the inside of the lens cap.
    If you need two different thread sizes, a good option would be to get the set in the larger size and get a cheap step down ring for use on the lens with the smaller filter thread size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a good look at getting a Kenko Extension Tube set. They may be a little more expensive than what you are budgeting but will work with both of your lenses and will give you excellent results.

Here ia a link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXPRESS-S...item3374e38401

Good luck with your macro venture.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my 10 cents worth. Save your money, and keep saving it.. till you can afford a macro lens.

Welcome to the world of photography where if you want the best results you need to spend money to get them. Yes you can spend $50 now but give it a couple of months and you will be finding your results are not as good as you want, and then you will be looking for a good macro lens, but you will be $50.00 poorer to start out with.

Look at something like the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro and it will serve you well for decades to come.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-10-2013 at 8:33pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this thread is turning out to be very useful
    anyway thanks for all the suggestions. frankly cannot spent 1000$ for lens now. new to DSLR so may be, i will start with Kenko or DCR-250 or Hoya. let me order one of it and get some snaps. i already have some lovely close shots from my point and shoot T100.
    Now its time for hands on practice and upload few snaps here for you guys to advise me, where i can improve.

off course if any more suggestion for macro lens but inexpensive at the moment, you are always welcome !!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I think at about $30 or $40 .. it's worth the punt. And even if you can't capture fantasmagorical images with these dioptres .. at least capture something.

The way I look at it, if you can find the time and effort required for really good macro images, THEN you would try to find some spare cash to spend on a dedicated macro lens to assist in capturing macro images.

To me that's what a proper macro lens will really do for you .. just make it a bit easier to get higher quality macro images.

As for some good value for money macro lenses:

As always the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 immediately springs to mind.(~$400 range)
    (most highly recommended for highest IQ/$ ratio).

Then you get into the much higher price bracket, with the $800+ lenses such as the Sigma 105/2.8 and 150/2.8 or the Nikon 105/2.8 VR lenses.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys.. i have decided to buy this set as first trial.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

however i contacted the seller and he said it works only with 58mm diameter. not sure if it will work with my default Nikon 18-55VR lens. he asked me to measure it using tape. i did some google and found out this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_A...5mm_f/3.5-5.6G

i have 18-55 VR lens so its 73mm diameter and 79mm in length. please check the table. 3rd lens is what i have. so advice accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    52mm filter thread for widely distributed 52mm filters

Straight from your wikipedia link. I can't see your ebay link at work (shhh, don't tell anyone) but I too have the 18-55mm kit lens (for my D5100) and it's a 52mm thread for filters (or lenses). If you look on the lens itself, near the mounting base just under the VR switch you'll find a symbol looking like a 0 with a line through it. That's the diameter of your threads on the lens and if you want to buy anything that screws to the front you need that size or an appropriate adapter that will allow it.
    Hi! I'm Bill.

Constructive critique on photos and suggestions and tips for editing is most welcome.
    Nikon D5100, D7000, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Nikon 18-135mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 55-300mm, Tamron 70-300mm
    SB-700 Speedlight, Manfrotto MKC3-H01

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look inside your lens cap..it will have the thread diameter printed on the inside of the cap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Look inside your lens cap..it will have the thread diameter printed on the inside of the cap
    You know, I didn't know this and as I have my camera with me for my Challenge photoshoot/exploration around the CBD, I checked.

And there it is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    You know, I didn't know this and as I have my camera with me for my Challenge photoshoot/exploration around the CBD, I checked.

And there it is.
    See..there is a reason I post on this site occasionally...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    52mm filter thread for widely distributed 52mm filters

Straight from your wikipedia link. I can't see your ebay link at work (shhh, don't tell anyone) but I too have the 18-55mm kit lens (for my D5100) and it's a 52mm thread for filters (or lenses). If you look on the lens itself, near the mounting base just under the VR switch you'll find a symbol looking like a 0 with a line through it. That's the diameter of your threads on the lens and if you want to buy anything that screws to the front you need that size or an appropriate adapter that will allow it.
    thanks. i think default 18-55 lens for D3200 and D5100 is same. so my lens also should have 52mm thread for filter. but then 58mm will fit there?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    58mm filters will not fit onto a 52mm thread.

You can get a 52-58 filter adapter, if you already purchased the closeup set, and can't exchange it for 52mm sizes.

A 52-58mm adapter will only cost a couple of dollars or so from ebay. Note tho, that while the adapter may initially appear to be a great idea which solves a problem it doesn't allow the use of the lens hood(correctly fitted).

Stray light onto the filter may produce unwanted aberrations which may negatively impact the images.

If you can do so, you're best off contacting the seller and see if they can change the 58mm lenses for 52mm versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only by using a 52mm to 58mm step-up adaptor ring. They too are on ebay but unless you have other lenses sharing a 58mm thread size I'd look for what you want in a 52mm. Without a doubt there's a plethora available on ebay.

~Edit~ ^^^Beaten by the king^^^
    Last edited by Retro; 10-10-2013 at 5:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you check the fit of the thread to your lens if you do but the cheap screw ons, I purchased a lower priced circular filter and the thread doesn't quite match and when fitting I need to be extra careful I don't cross or damage the thread, just something to bare in mind.
    Nikon, D750, D5000, 35mm f/1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm kit lens,
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 120-400mm, Sigma 150-600S, SB-910, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2
    Manfrotto 680B Mono + 234RC tilt, 055XPROB + 804RC2.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not yet purchased it. i was about to order but then this thread saved me.... it seems better i buy macro extension tube as all i want to achieve is Macro shots. thanks guys now i know even when i buy macro extension tube, it has to fit camera first and then other end 18-55 lens so i will have to check thread size at both sides of that tube. there are few who says it fits Nikon D3200 so let me check few of them and order one after consulting you guys off course !!!
    this thread is turning out to be quite helpful than i expected

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You dont have to check thread size of Ex Tubes you buy them by Mount you have a Nikon camera so you buy a Nikon Mount.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avi View Post
    ..... it seems better i buy macro extension tube as all i want to achieve is Macro shots. thanks guys now i know even when i buy macro extension tube, ......
    Not always!

extension tubes have their place, as do diopters as do dedicated macro(or closeup) lenses.

With the lenses you currently have any Nikon fit extension tubes will fit, but not all will work.

Your extension tubes MUST have the capability to AF(basically) .. even tho AF for extreme closeups is useless!

If the tubes you get have the ability to AF, then they must have the CPU contact blocks required for communication between camera and lens(this is the important point! .. not the actual AF ability).

If your extension tubes don't have the CPU communication points between camera and lens, your aperture control will not work, and the lenses will be stuck at maximum aperture(ie. very dark image).

Kenko are not the only manufacturers of these types of extension tubes for Nikon, but are the best known.

You can get cheaper versions(than Kenkos) off ebay with this electronic ability .. just be sure to stay away from the full manual(and hence cheapest) types which will not work with your current lenses.

HERE's one example of the extension tubes you should be looking for.

I have no experience with these accessories, so cannot vouch for them. I use the link for info purposes only.

Also note:
    You immediate instinct will be to mount them to the longest lens you have(55-200mm) as you may assume that with extension tubes you want to 'zoom in' to the subject.
    That is not how extension tubes really work.
    You will get the smallest magnification factor with the longer focal length, and the highest magnification factor with the shortest focal length!

So if you have the 18-55mm kit lens, then this lens will give you the largest magnification factor at it's shorter focal lengths. But in doing this, the issues that come with using average lenses with extension tubes will soon become apparent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast