User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Where to purchase Tokina 11-16mm lens? Reputable sites/stores?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to purchase Tokina 11-16mm lens? Reputable sites/stores?

Not sure how many of you remember me, but anyway, i've been slightly out of shooting due to starting full time work 3 months ago, 8 month old daughter, etc

As per title, I am interesting in purchasing a Tokina 11-16mm as my next lens Mainly for landscapes and night photography (star trails, etc) but there will be some indoor/low light shooting too.

I am now trying to find a reputable place to purchase this lens from that isnt going to take several weeks to arrive! Nor cost an arm and a leg

The most competitive price is on e-global at about $475. Also DWI at $522. However, I am unsure of their reputations within our community so I thought I would shoot my message to the rest of you and hope for some good responses. I have searched online and have seen good and bad about both, as well as many other stores... I also understand that DWI has local warranty? Which would be a reason to lean towards them over e-global.

It would be nice to have a site that allows Sydney pick up, but the closest priced one I could find was >$600.

Has anyone got any opinions on where to purchase? I am happy to look at stores that are priced competitively be that brick and mortar or online stores with a Sydney pick up location

I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance
    Nikon D5100
    18-55mm Kit Lens, 55-300mm Kit Lens, 90mm Tamron Macro Lens, 35mm Nikkor 1.8G, Tokina 11-16mm DX II, Kenko Extension Tubes

Indir Photography - Website
    Indir Photography - Facebook

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DWI and eglobal are both owned be the same parent company. Both are based in Hong Kong, and are classified as grey market, so any warranty would be third party and not recognised by Tokina. So any warranty repair would either go back to Hong Kong or be paid for by the seller in some way for local repairs.

However saying all this, I have dealt with both and have good experiences, but I have seen others say they have had trouble with their orders.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my Tokina from DigitalRev, who were good. Their current prices are $540 (old version of the lens) and $560 (new version). Not sure why anyone would buy the old one at that price difference (I've got the old version, pretty sure I paid less than that), but anyway... I have also dealt with eglobal on more recent (and larger) purchases and would happily recommend them.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought mine from eglobal and was happy with them.
    D810, D7100 & D3200, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 45mm PC-E 2.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 II, Tokina 100m 2.8 macro & Tokina 300mm 2.8 Pro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies

Also found another site that doesnt seem to bad? Seems to have a shop in Sydney CBD for pick up also. While slightly more expensive, seems to also be a local warranty and also price match apparently? Anyone have experience with DigiDirect?

Thanks for the link to DigitalRev also. Also, look pretty solid.

Will need to decide between the 4 once a few more people weigh in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've dealt with DWI in the past and have had no issues at all
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine from eglobal, and it is a fantastic lens. I have also bought other camera gear and lenses with no problem at all.
    Last edited by Gonk0; 08-05-2014 at 1:23pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    B&H have it, though a fraction more $$ (plus postage). However, if you have a warranty issue, they (not you) will pay for the return postage.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...PRO_DX_II.html

If you buy from any of the above mentioned places that appear in green (they're sight sponsors), click on them and then order. Gives Rick a few extra cents to help run AP.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far e-global seems to be the place to go to get the lens. Everyone seems to have had a good experience

Thanks for the link to B&H Mark, after shipping to get it here under a week, it ends up slightly under $600. In which case, id just buy locally

Im still kind of undecided on what to do because id like to have the ability to return easily if any issues, as I have heard a few people have gotten new lenses with focus issues. In which case, id like to have that local warranty... The worst part is deciding on a store, once you decide its the waiting thats the worst! Haha.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s1l3nt View Post
    ...as I have heard a few people have gotten new lenses with focus issues. ....
    Wouldn't stress to much. How many of these lens do they sell? A few is not many.
    Just do it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses. At the end of the day I will probably go with e-global as suggested by majority of you above

At the moment, some unforeseen circumstances have pushed this lens purchase back a while However, it is NEXT on the list!