Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mobile phone..options

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Mobile phone..options

A friend sent me a text today, saying now the new iPhone is about to come out, was I going to upgrade, and could they buy my iPhone 4. They offered a very good price. So even though I had no intention of upgrading my iPhone, it got me to thinking.

And I wondered if I should not consider jumping ship and look at Windows/Android based phones, and take them up on their offer, cause the new iPhone announced really doesn't get me excited, and I am sick of seeing the price of apps and music via iTunes costing me way more than the equivalent US item, when converted to AUD.

So, I got online and had a browse. The samsung galaxy SII looks interesting, along with a few others. So what can you tell me about Android/Windows based mobile phones and which are good, etc. Happy to hear all opinions, though still not even sure I want to sell my iPhone, but thought checking out the market might be worthwhile.

So feel free to tell me what is a good smart-phone at present and why.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my sisters get Choice mag, and I noted a comparison chart where the Galaxy II won the comparo test(out of about 20 odd phones).
    My current Samsung freebie works perfectly well, except it's not a smart phone in the traditional Android/Windows sense.. it has a closed source Samsung OS on it, and the java based capability is quite limited
    But... as of ATM .. I'm a Samsung convertee.

I've had Motorola's, Nokia's, NEC's and whatnot, and they're all garbage for one reason or another.

The only aspect I'm not too impressed about with Samsung is their PC connection software. I've found that Nokia seem to have the best PC based PC-phone software.. I just hate their phones!

I didn't like the troubles we've had in connecting normal Bt phones to iPhones .. and I hate it when simple stuff like this is made more difficult by the device, so I avoid iPhones.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2c is to keep the iPhone. I have one and my mrs has a galaxyii. After playing with it and setting it up for her, Iphone is way better imo.

Just my opinion though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who is a photographer and likes to keep up, perhaps look at the LG phone with the 3D camera and 3D screen.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rick,
    I went from an iphone to a samsung galaxy s2, and I have to say I'm write happy with the samsung. I like that I can customise it a lot more than the iphone, but I do prefer the iphone for playing music through. So I keep my iphone in the car, and dont use the samsung to listen to music anymore. But I do find it easy to use, and I like the big screen, it is also lighter than the iphone even though it is bigger. If I was changing phones again? I would have a tough time choosing between the two, I like them both!!
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback. I am going out today to have a play with a Galaxy, seeing as I have never really looked at one, held one so far. I am thinking I might stick to the iPhone at this time, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    For someone who is a photographer and likes to keep up, perhaps look at the LG phone with the 3D camera and 3D screen.
    Do you mean the HTC Evo? I had a play with one the other day at work, and I'm not a fan. I think the 3D would make me feel motion sick after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    thanks for the feedback. I am going out today to have a play with a Galaxy, seeing as I have never really looked at one, held one so far. I am thinking I might stick to the iPhone at this time, though.
    We've got a live one in at my work, if you can brave heading in there [Telstra that is...I don't work at Habitat anymore :P ]

As far as the Galaxy SII goes, I love them Got one for Mark a few weeks back, and it's an incredibly powerful phone, amazing camera, fantastic screen, and the colours & brightness are awesome

It handles things well, like having numerous apps open.

A lot of the Apps on the Apple App store are free on the Andriod Market.

They're supposedly re-releasing the SII in a week or so with a bigger battery in it, so better battery life. But after having an iPhone, you wouldn't notice the difference between the current SII battery and the iPhone.

They're nice and light, and quite thin, however they are still large, because of their big screen.

As for Android vs. iPhone, well let's say that Apple are still trying to catch up with all the improvements that happen with Android. I think the iPhone 4S is a step forward to get on par with the rest of the market, but nothing terribly fresh or exciting.

The processor in the Galaxy SII is bigger than the iPhone 4S. Galaxy SII is 1.5GHz processor, 4S is beleived to have a 1GHz processor. Apple hasn't disclosed the amount of RAM its iPhone 4S uses. The 4S is believed to have a gigabyte of RAM; if so, it's now on par with most high-end Android phones from the past several months. If not, it could be sitting somewhere around the 512MB mark and would remain behind them in that domain.

Apple's iPhone still lacks many features Android handsets provide. It has no support for external storage, no real file access, and a very limited, locked-down approach to customization. You're still stuck with those static rows of icons on your home screens as opposed to dynamic, interactive widgets and a practically limitless choice of personalized launcher utilities. You can't use useful keyboard replacements like Swype, because Apple doesn't allow them. There's no integrated turn-by-turn GPS navigation. And I won't even get into the whole Flash problem.

And the best thing...no more iTunes syncing etc. you just plug the phone into computer, and it reads it like a USB drive, you can put files anywhere in the folder system of the phone, and the phone works out where it's meant to be

Okay, okay, so I'm an Android fan :P I personally have a HTC Desire S, and Mark has the Galaxy SII after both of us previously having iPhones.
    Last edited by AmyK; 07-10-2011 at 11:16am.

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about Android IMO is that the user interface is somewhat a little more clunky vs iphone. iPhone was made with users in mind more than developers and android was made the other way. I had a galaxy S for a while and whilst it was a great phone, the samsung UI was what irritated me the most. I prefer the standard android UI over the Samsung UI. I subsequently got an iphone 4 as it was really cheap and passed the galaxy s to my dad.

There are certain things i missed about the android but also somethings i do like about the iphone. Apps that you love sometimes is not available on the android or vice versa. iPhone4 is a very capable phone.... only if you jailbreak it. Android is a capable phone... even before you root it. The other thing about Android is the optimisation of hardware to software. As Apple develops the software soley fo it's own hardware, it's absolutely optimised for the hardware it's using. As for android.. it is getting to that stage with newer revisions of the software like gingerbread. With the release of Galaxy SII and the other dual cores, it definitely is getting a lot smoother as well.

iTunes made the usage of a phone seamless for untech savvy users. It irritated power users. On the flipside, android UI for computers is programmed by the manufacturer. Samsung makes a crappy UI for computers and their backup process is not as good.

As for the images or a iphone vs Galaxy SII. iPhone 4 wins hands down IMO. Even thou the SII has higher resolution, the processing algo may not be as good as the iphone4. Colour saturation and contrast is nicer in the iphone4.

Last bit is that a lot of the free apps on android has advertisements. You need to root the phone in order to block it, one of irritants. Also i like TOMTOM as a navigator for my phone. It's not avaialble on android and since a few years back they have been saying "coming soon". LoL. I will relish the day it does arrive on android.

That said, i'm pretty sure my next phone won't be an iphone. I've recently been looking at wp7 and they are catching up in terms of UI or its back to android for me. I don't like to stick with one particular system as it kinda numbs the brain IMO. It boils down to what kind of a user you are.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Well went and had a look at the Samsung Galaxy Sii, along with an LG and HTC (both 3D), must say straight up, although the two 3D ones used Andriod, and worked in a similar way to the galaxy, the 3D screen was crap, and very hard to look at.

The Samsung is very nice, intuitive, and I liked it. But at present, outright price, cheapest I could find was at JBhifi, and still over $700.00. Went to 3 stores, customer service was non-existent, played with the phones myself, did not have a single sales person come up and ask me if I wanted help. Will stick to my iPhone at this time. Looking at shopbot, you can get the Galaxy for just over $500.00 online (Australian sites), so if I do decide to swap, will be buying online I think, esp when customer service doesn't at the bricks n mortar stores.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only beef with Android based phones is operating system upgrades.
    Android is open source and used by many different hardware manufacturers, I can't get an upgrade for my HTC Desire or my Samsung Tab, because the hardware manufacturer wants me to upgrade the hardware to get the new operating system.

Apple lets everyone have the new operating system as it is released.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    My only beef with Android based phones is operating system upgrades.
    Android is open source and used by many different hardware manufacturers, I can't get an upgrade for my HTC Desire or my Samsung Tab, because the hardware manufacturer wants me to upgrade the hardware to get the new operating system.

There is loads of support in forums such as xda-developers. A lot of people do upload their ports so that people don't miss out on the latest OS. That's one other thing that's irritating as well. They drop support of the phone once they launch a new phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post

As far as I know iOS5 is not going to be supported on iPhone 3G and 3Gs, so that statement is technically incorrect.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    As far as I know iOS5 is not going to be supported on iPhone 3G and 3Gs, so that statement is technically incorrect.
    iOS 4 on a 3g version makes the phone very slow as well. I think mainly due to older hardware having trouble keeping up with the newer iOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iOS 4 on a 3g version makes the phone very slow as well. I think mainly due to older hardware having trouble keeping up with the newer iOS
    Yeah I was running iOS4 on my old 3G, and it was terrible, and I couldn't be bothered restoring it to the old software.

A very good point came up today at work, and that was that Apple have finally started doing what Android phones have been doing for a number of months now. In an age where technology is changing all the time, how [in terms of timeframe etc] Apple releases it's products isn't going to last in today's market.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, on Sunday I had to wander round town a bit (my mum was in hospital, and having tests done at the time, so I was at a loose end for a couple of hours), so I ventured into a few phone shops that were open and had a go at some phones. After annoying the staff for some time (I am sure they thought I was just going to look, and then buy online), I decided to push the $$ issue, and got a great deal on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

So now, after having an iPhone since the very first one came out (bought in the USA, before they even got to Aus), I am no longer an iPhone owner..and I could not be happier. It took me a while to come to grips with the Galaxy and Android OS, but now I have, I am impressed.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-10-2011 at 7:29am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being a hard core iphone fan,my husband got the sansung galaxy s2 last week and i love it i was thinking about changing over myself and to get me away from an iphone it has to be pretty damn good thats for sure ,so i think you are going to really love the galaxy Rick they are a great phone thats for sure
    Mel

Olympus E300,E30,35mm macro,14-45mm,14-54mm,40-150mm,70-30mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on Sunday I had to wander round town a bit (my mum was in hospital, and having tests done at the time, so I was at a loose end for a couple of hours), so I ventured into a few phone shops that were open and had a go at some phones. After annoying the staff for some time (I am sure they thought I was just going to look, and then buy online), I decided to push the $$ issue, and got a great deal on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

So now, after having an iPhone since the very first one came out (bought in the USA, before they even got to Aus), I am no longer an iPhone owner..and I could not be happier. It took me a while to come to grips with the Galaxy and Android OS, but now I have, I am impressed.
    Enjoy it mate! It is a wonderful phone. And the UI definitely has gotten better vs the S1, although i still think the original android UI is better. So what's your first impressions vs the iphone? Always good to hear it from other people's point of view.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    Enjoy it mate! It is a wonderful phone. And the UI definitely has gotten better vs the S1, although i still think the original android UI is better. So what's your first impressions vs the iphone? Always good to hear it from other people's point of view.
    First impression was. WOW so many settings! It lets me customise so much more. Took me a while to find all the settings etc and the manual was less than helpful. I found the net a good source of 'how to' stuff. it took me a good 4-5 hours of playing and googling to get my head around all the options. The iPhone is 'take out of the box and use it'.

But the Galaxy offers much more, and I can really appreciate the benefits now after a few days of use. I also found a lot of the Apps are free on Android, that you have to pay for on AppStore for the iPhone. Some are much cheaper. I use a good diary App, that in Itunes is over $20.00, but is under $8.00 on the Android Market.

The best thing I have installed is Juice Defender, which monitors system environment and stops apps running that do not need to be, to save battery power. I am up to day 3 since charging it and still have 63% battery left, with it turned on 24/7. Much better than the iPhone.

So, even though it took me a while to get my head around the Android OS, I like the ability to do more, with it, not being limited entirely to how Apple wanted me to use the phone. At this time, I have to say, for me, the Galaxy S2 runs rings round iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression was. WOW so many settings! It lets me customise so much more. Took me a while to find all the settings etc and the manual was less than helpful. I found the net a good source of 'how to' stuff. it took me a good 4-5 hours of playing and googling to get my head around all the options. The iPhone is 'take out of the box and use it'.

But the Galaxy offers much more, and I can really appreciate the benefits now after a few days of use. I also found a lot of the Apps are free on Android, that you have to pay for on AppStore for the iPhone. Some are much cheaper. I use a good diary App, that in Itunes is over $20.00, but is under $8.00 on the Android Market.

The best thing I have installed is Juice Defender, which monitors system environment and stops apps running that do not need to be, to save battery power. I am up to day 3 since charging it and still have 63% battery left, with it turned on 24/7. Much better than the iPhone.

So, even though it took me a while to get my head around the Android OS, I like the ability to do more, with it, not being limited entirely to how Apple wanted me to use the phone. At this time, I have to say, for me, the Galaxy S2 runs rings round iPhone.
    Awesome! Frankly speaking, without the jailbreak community and a jailbreak. I would drop iphone in a heartbeat. A jailbroken iPhone comes closer to Android in terms of configuablity for a power user and without it, IMO it'll like using a Symbian 40 nokia.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thoughts on the android gear. I'm guessing that apps previously purchased via apple aren't transferable to a different system ? Not that I've got a lot, but a couple that have cost 30 odd each.

I don't mind my iphone, quite like it actually but really cringe when I see things like the news this morning of all the fan bois lining up for days and singing kumbaya everytime apple farts out a new version or product.

Makes me want to throw mine out the window and hang my head in shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast