Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NTP Challenge : Night Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NTP Challenge : Night Photography

Another challenge to get those who have recently started their photographic journey.

Use all that you have learnt from the New To Photography forum to take a long exposure night photograph!

Post your photo in this thread!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I'll kick it off - I will share my first attempt at Night Photography - only boring old fireworks but they were great to practice with - our nearest street light is over 50kms away! I used a tripod and cable release, manual focus and bulb setting and guesswork for exposure times. The ISO is 100 and I used an aperature of around f8. I hope it's not too many images (if so please remove some Mods)
    I've seen some examples of painting with light and love to give this a go too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One from me. No tripod yet, so my composition was limited by the places where I could keep my camera. Cc appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sid - your link didn't work.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sid, have a look at this thread on the changes on Flickr and how to link your photos into AP : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=64136

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fallinghorse, a good series of fireworks shots to kick off this challenge. Fireworks can be hard to capture well. Looking at the first one, it appears there is water beside the location. Often if you can get to the opposite side to the fireworks display, the inclusion of the reflection of the fireworks on the water as well as in the sky can give a great result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick - unfortunately it wasn't water but the local football oval next to the school. Would have loved if they had the fireworks at the lake closer to our house but being in the rural area in the dry season probably not going to happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK (big intake of breath) here goes first time entering this competition (well I tried once before but didn't read the rules). I captured this on yet another freezing,overcast night in Adelaide. My wife has had me declared bonkers as I had to wait for ages for the moon to poke its head out. Be brutal everyone, thats how I learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reflect View Post
    OK (big intake of breath) here goes first time entering this competition (well I tried once before but didn't read the rules).
    Firstly, this isn't a competition, it is a challenge. It is designed to challenge those newer to photography to go out and get a photo, given a topic. It is purely designed to get NTP members out and about and learning how to use their camera to get shots under given situations

I like you shot, the 'blue moon' result works well and the inclusion of the tree branches gives this a gothic darkness that adds to the mood of the shot. Interestingly although it takes time (waiting for the moon) this is one of the easier night shots to capture. Get creative and think about some alternative night shot ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one I took on a recent trip. 30 second exposure and then "painted" the trees with a spotlight.

Cheers
    Warren
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fallinghorse nice fireworks set. All sharp and colourful.

Warren nice pic, must try that myself.
    cheers Kerro
    I shoot with Canon cameras and Canon and Sigma lenses and now a Mavic Pro too

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good result Warren, I would have liked to see more even light painting, at present it tends to look like you shone 2 lights at the trees. I think if you have moved the lights around more to cover the entire tree line it could have given a more impacting result. Having said this, the reflected light on the water looks stunning!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. It was just one hand held spot light and I tried to paint each tree for about 10 seconds. The biggest problem I had was getting the focus right. I set the camera up before sunset but when I took the night shots the focus on the trees was off. Took me 3 nights to finally get some shots I was happy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another one from the South Perth foreshore. Also just opened a flickr account, so let's hope the link works.

Perth at night by wozza1607, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should have a best shot from South Perth challenge for all the Perth members
    Often beaten, never scared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Warren, some really good efforts. I'm yet to give the 'painting with light' a go. I like your shot of South Perth too - little bit of noise in the sky but the long exposure has made the water look like glass. The reflection look great - lovely colours.

Andrew - love the 'Blue Moon' shot -it does look gothic - I can imagine a few gravestones in this pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night photography without tripod

Hello
    I recently went out without a tripod and loved the idea that I could shoot hand held at night as long as the scene had artificial light source. The problem then became to avoid the direct glare from that source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Sid, have a look at this thread on the changes on Flickr and how to link your photos into AP : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=64136
    Thanks for that Rick. I just goofed up Silly ol' me...

Frankston Waterfront by Sidharth D, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waan View Post
    Hello
    I recently went out without a tripod and loved the idea that I could shoot hand held at night as long as the scene had artificial light source. The problem then became to avoid the direct glare from that source.
    Examples???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BAD4U View Post
    Here's another one from the South Perth foreshore. Also just opened a flickr account, so let's hope the link works.
    I like this shot, once the weather warms up I can see a trip to south Perth at night being in order!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast