Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
So, to the OP: I'd say if you can't get usable images shooting at ISO12800, you're probably doing something wrong either at the fundamental level(in camera), and/or at the secondary level(processing).
If I had a D7000, I'd have it set to AutoISO with ISO Hi1 as my upper ceiling.(note that this is how I have my D800E setup too tho).
Thanks Arthur - To me in a lot of ways noise is a taste issue, and for me, using Aperture (which is admittedly pretty crummy in terms of both its RAW converter and certainly noise reduction) ISO 1600 and below in the D7000 is excellent but above that it's not to my taste (i.e. too noisy for my liking). If I can pick up an extra stop, along with the dynamic range benefits etc that it may make sense to "upgrade" to FX. I also use auto ISO but only to 1600. I'm also chasing more than usable photos - these are keepsakes often shot in low light of first milestones (e.g. first steps etc) so I want them to be as "perfect" as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
Brenden, you have been handed a heap of good advice and points to consider and I agree with a lot of it and I would like to summarise with my thoughts.

Your signature says "various el cheapo lenses" so I would advise you yo stick to the D7000 and upgrade your lens collection a little, learn and use good software to edit your (NEF) images and have them printed at a reasonable size by a good print lab.

I will stick my neck out and guarantee that you won't see noise in a 12" x 18" print of a properly exposed and processed D7000 NEF file at 3200 iso.
Hi Andrew - agree 100% with this. Current work horses are the 35mm 1.8 Nikon (which I think is a reasonable lens), and also the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 fine tuned to the nth degree in terms of focus etc. Regardless of change of body next lens will be the Tamron 24-70 VC, but based on the (as mentioned) excellent advice (as usual) I think the D600 would help to get more from that lens. Certainly the range will be more friendly for my purposes on FX. I also have the Nikon 50mm 1.8D but don't use it alot. Sharpness isn't the issue for me - it's been a fussy body re noise I think!

I do think it's high time to invest in some additional noise reduction software or perhaps move away from Aperture (but I've been hanging in for the illusive upgrade and it really suits my workflow) so that is absolutely something I will look more closely at.

Happy to take more advice and be pointed in a different direction - really appreciate all of the time spent and amazing feedback everyone!

Brenden

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lance, I can't see these from my current Internet connection but will check them out tonight. Thank you for going to the trouble to shoot those shots though!