Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a trip to Tassie planned for two or so weeks during July (Winter time) so excited to say the least. Have been planning this for a few months now, but just need some clarification on a few things and maybe a few tips on things. I will be staying with a friend for a week, then will be hiring a car for another week or so and driving to some popular locations, including:

~ Derwent Valley, Mount Field National Park - Tasmanian Snow Gum
~ Binnalong Bay, Bay Of Fires - Famous Lone Tree
~ Cradle Mountain – Classic Shot
~ St Columba Falls/Russel Falls/Liffey Falls
~ Mount Wellington - Sunrise/view
~ Hobart Franklin Wharf – Boats + Reflections
~ Tessellated Pavement - Sunrise
~ Bluestone Bay - Sunrise/sunset
~ Richmond Bridge

I know it's going to be cold (very cold) so will be buying a good goose down jacket + waterproof jacket to go over that, waterproof pants and some hiking boots + a beanie and gloves. So, I reckon I'm set for the cold weather which I have a good chance of being greeted by! However, I am planning on photographing a few waterfalls and keen to get my feet wet while doing so, so I wanted to know from people who have done this before. Do you wear your boots in the stream/reef shoes/barefoot? I can't really see the sense of getting boots wet if your have to walk back to the car but then I guess your feet are gonna get cold!

I also plan to get to Cradle Mountain for that classic shot. Planning on staying somewhere close by so I don't have to get up too early. I've read somewhere that only a few cars are allowed in during the day? I was planning on driving in early morning so will I be able to do so, will their be gates that are locked? Going to buy a holiday national parks pass allowing entry into all national parks too.

As there is a high chance of rainy weather, I though perhaps a rain-cover/plastic bag for the lens and camera might be a good idea. ..

Have I missed anything else? Would love to hear any ideas/tips you have, other locations to see etc. I am keen to photograph some of the local wildlife (wallabies and wombats) but don't know of too many places to go to do this... Planning on focusing my attention on seascape/landscape/wildlife photography.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a trip to Tassie planned for two or so weeks during July (Winter time) so excited to say the least. Have been planning this for a few months now, but just need some clarification on a few things and maybe a few tips on things. I will be staying with a friend for a week, then will be hiring a car for another week or so and driving to some popular locations, including:

~ Derwent Valley, Mount Field National Park - Tasmanian Snow Gum
~ Binnalong Bay, Bay Of Fires - Famous Lone Tree
~ Cradle Mountain – Classic Shot
~ St Columba Falls/Russel Falls/Liffey Falls
~ Mount Wellington - Sunrise/view
~ Hobart Franklin Wharf – Boats + Reflections
~ Tessellated Pavement - Sunrise
~ Bluestone Bay - Sunrise/sunset
~ Richmond Bridge

I know it's going to be cold (very cold) so will be buying a good goose down jacket + waterproof jacket to go over that, waterproof pants and some hiking boots + a beanie and gloves. So, I reckon I'm set for the cold weather which I have a good chance of being greeted by! However, I am planning on photographing a few waterfalls and keen to get my feet wet while doing so, so I wanted to know from people who have done this before. Do you wear your boots in the stream/reef shoes/barefoot? I can't really see the sense of getting boots wet if your have to walk back to the car but then I guess your feet are gonna get cold!

I also plan to get to Cradle Mountain for that classic shot. Planning on staying somewhere close by so I don't have to get up too early. I've read somewhere that only a few cars are allowed in during the day? I was planning on driving in early morning so will I be able to do so, will their be gates that are locked? Going to buy a holiday national parks pass allowing entry into all national parks too.

As there is a high chance of rainy weather, I though perhaps a rain-cover/plastic bag for the lens and camera might be a good idea. ..

Have I missed anything else? Would love to hear any ideas/tips you have, other locations to see etc. I am keen to photograph some of the local wildlife (wallabies and wombats) but don't know of too many places to go to do this... Planning on focusing my attention on seascape/landscape/wildlife photography.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
- - - Updated - - -

If you get a chance why not visit the North West, the South Arthur Forest Drive is quite spectacular and can be easily done in a day from either Smithton or Stanley. You cross over the Kanunna Bridge on the Arthur River on to the Sumac Lookout then the Julius River Forest Reserve, Lake Chisholm Reserve and finally the Milkshakes Hills Forest Reserve - lots of ancient Myrtle Forests easily accessible and Sink Holes full of frogs. Also the Mouth of the Arthur River on the West Coast has some dramatic Seascapes.