Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signature on photos

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signature on photos

I have had a request for a image with my signature and numbered.

My query is what is the best way to apply a signature to your image. Digitally on the image or after its printed?
    Last edited by Shelley; 13-05-2013 at 9:31am.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would and have used just another layer in photoshop to digitally add my signature. Easy if you have a tablet like the WACOM ones. Then do you use your actual signature? Or is writing on the image after it's printed going to "wreck" the image?

IMGP7686_-2_-3_tonemapped by Adam Brice, on Flickr
    Last edited by outstar79; 13-05-2013 at 9:54am.
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds digitally is the best. Will have to work out how to do it. I don't have a Wacom. I could scan it in I guess.

Thanks Adam

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are fairly inexpensive now, you'll only need a smaller sized one (which is great for manipulating in Photoshop too ) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wacom-Bam...-/280751489380

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will check it out

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tablets are good but you do not need one to do this simple exercise. You can simply scan in your signature and apply it. However, the background you sign it on may be an issue as it will be hard to separate it from the signature itself when you past it on as a second layer on your image. If this happens it may be an idea to sign on a background that you would like for when it becomes part of the image.

Mongo applies his electronic signature to documents all the time. However, the signature was on a white background when it was originally scanned in some years ago. So, the background is not visible as such when applied to a white document.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely the point of a signature is that the print is physically signed by the artist? From what I've seen this is usually in the bottom margin, but you could sign the back of the print - maybe ask the requestee where they want it signed. You'll need a pen that is permanent on photographic paper, perhaps an arts supply place might be of help with that (I've never had to do it ).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    despite what Mongo said earlier, he found an old example which has not been PP for posting but which does have that scanned signature he was talking about. So, posted as is. You can see the signature on bottom right. Can't remember how Mongo did it without the background appearing though.

you can see from the signature , however, that Mongo can not spell "Mongo" when signing.

dancing-shoes-1.jpg
    Last edited by mongo; 13-05-2013 at 11:23am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mongo for that information. I think I wil try a scanned signature as per your suggestion. I have been asked a few times, but never really did anything about it.

I am notoriously slow for administration side of my photography, I put things off, but I am making an effort to be more organised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop has a cool feature if you use it. Scan in your signature and run the filter which runs a line over your hand written signature, making it appear digital and neat. Google will have many tutorials for this also Clean white paper and sign with a black pen. Allows for easy background removal, save as transparent and its reusable at any time
    Nikon D5100
    18-55mm Kit Lens, 55-300mm Kit Lens, 90mm Tamron Macro Lens, 35mm Nikkor 1.8G, Tokina 11-16mm DX II, Kenko Extension Tubes

Indir Photography - Website
    Indir Photography - Facebook

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s1l3nt View Post
    Photoshop has a cool feature if you use it. Scan in your signature and run the filter which runs a line over your hand written signature, making it appear digital and neat. Google will have many tutorials for this also Clean white paper and sign with a black pen. Allows for easy background removal, save as transparent and its reusable at any time
    Thanks for that - definitely give that a go. What filter in Photoshop are you referring to? Could I save as brush, like I do with my watermark?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Surely the point of a signature is that the print is physically signed by the artist? ....
    That's what I was thinking!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    That's what I was thinking!!
    I was a bit worried using that method, in stuffing up the image - especially on photopaper. I have looked at images by well known Artists and they do look like they are digitally applied to me.

But, I will certainly look at as maybe people expect that, I don't know - not being savvy to that. I have been surprised at the people that have asked or told me I should put my signature on the front of an image (I thought it would spoil it, lol).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For me, If someone thought my image special enough they wanted it signed, I think I would sign it in marker pen.

I own a cell from the Ugly Duckling from the 1939 Disney film. It was given to me by my grandmother . What is unique about it as far as I can ascertain is that it is signed by Walt Disney. I have never been able to find any information about another cell from the Ugly Duckling that he has signed. I have had several offers of 5 figure sums for it. I am sure its value would not be so great if the signature was printed onto the cell, rather than being signed directly by Walt.

As a long term investment, I think your real signature will hold more value than a digitised version of it.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-05-2013 at 11:02pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    For me, If someone thought my image special enough they wanted it signed, I think I would sign it in marker pen.

I own a cell from the Ugly Duckling from the 1939 Disney film. It was given to me by my grandmother . What is unique about it as far as I can ascertain is that it is signed by Walt Disney. I have never been able to find any information about another cell from the Ugly Duckling that he has signed. I have had several offers of 5 figure sums for it. I am sure its value would not be so great if the signature was printed onto the cell, rather than being signed directly by Walt.

As a long term investment, I think your real signature will hold more value than a digitised version of it.
    Good point and makes sense. Hand written signature then . Will look into buying a decent pen to sign then. I will sign when requested.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Sounds digitally is the best. Will have to work out how to do it. I don't have a Wacom. I could scan it in I guess.

Thanks Adam
    Are you on windows or Mac? With any of the multitouch Apple laptops you can actually sign using the mousepad or use the webcam on the laptops or desktops to produce a signature.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 13-05-2013 at 11:30pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows and macs at work, work laptop mac - drives me to distraction, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- - - Updated - - -

Next time you're at work, use this technique to get your signature. You should be able to save it as a PNG. If not, there is an app called Autograph which will allow you to sign your name on your Mac laptop or even an iOS version for an iPhone or iPad if you have one of those.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167...g_preview.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - definitely give that a go. What filter in Photoshop are you referring to? Could I save as brush, like I do with my watermark?
    Quick google search as I cant remember the filter haha. But there are many ways to skin a cat as they say.
    1 - http://pshero.com/photoshop-tutorial...p-custom-shape
    2- http://www.ultimatephotoguide.com/ar...-brush-preset/
    3- http://www.productivity501.com/how-t...signature/357/

Just a few different ways, whichever is easier for you is best

The way i was thinking was through Adobe Illustrator if you have that, it has a "live trace" feature which digitally inks your scanned sketch Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast