User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: How to break the habit??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to break the habit??

Well I was looking through the shots from the last couple of workshops I've done, all of them involved some portraiture in them and I happened to notice something, It would appear that I tend to frame up the composition of my shots in a very similar way most of the time...... generally with the model on the right hand side of the frame. This is something I haven't consciously done, but wondered if I was the only one who tended to do this (framing up the same way for most of the shots) and whether for those of you who used to do this how did you get yourself out of the habit?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to be picky, but a pic?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is there anything wrong with the photos your taking? It's your style!!

Quote Originally Posted by jollie View Post
    ..... how did you get yourself out of the habit?
    Publicly admit your habit. Promise yourself that now you are aware of the habit, you will try and change.
    P.Anon on AP.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jollie,
    some questions re the posing dilemma.

Do the subjects ( and wider audience ) like the way the images are captured?

If the answer is yes, forget it, if the answer is no, we need to work on technique.

Do the individuals that you are photographing see only the shots that you take of them or do they see previous work to compare the shots to?

See Q#1 and if they are happy forget it, if they see earlier work and are unhappy with the similarity then we need to work on technique.

Are you seeing a pattern emerging?

If you are the only one unhappy with your images and everyone else is comfortable with the successful formula that you seem to have adopted then you need to ask who you are aiming to please with your photos, the subject or yourself.

If you really want to change / experiment, get a subject for the day when the images only matter to yourself and force yourself to compose differently, review the images and submit them for critique to help yourself understand what is happening.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments,

I@M no one but me really seas the images (with the exception of the few that I put on here & Facebook) and I'm not unhappy with the results, it's just that I wasn't even aware that I was doing it and don't want to form an ingrained habit (as opposed to a style)...

I might have to take up your suggestion for next time I'm out shooting and put a ban on my usual set up..