User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the middle of the night WHOOMFA!!!!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the middle of the night WHOOMFA!!!!

A few Saturday nights ago, I was watching a movie on TV late at night and WHOOMFA!!, big crash from out the front of our house. Even before I got to the front door, I knew what had happened, a car, the silver Mazda 2, had smashed into the back of my daughter's car, the green Accent. What I didn't realise until I got out there was that it had pushed one daughter's car, the Accent, about 6mts into the back of my other daughter's car, the white one!! The Accent was parked one one side of the driveway and the force of the impact pushed it into the rear of the my other daughter's car which was parked on the other side of the driveway and then pushed it about 2.5mts as well!!! No one was injured in the offending car, thankfully. Young girl driver was not paying attention (you can guess what she may have been doing) and ran into the my daughter's green car which then was shunted into my other daughter's white car. Green car written off, white car was repaired and good as new. We had the green car from new, which my wife drove until my wife got a new car and then we handed it down to my youngest to drive until she could afford her own car. It was still in good shape and worth more than it's written off value, so now my daughter has to buy a car.

I really felt sorry for the poor young girl as she was so upset and so apologetic. I was just happy that she wasn't injured, just her pride. What was alarming was that her air bag didn't deploy.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, that's alarming Lance! A Mazda 2 and the airbag didn't deploy? My wife was looking buying one of those too! Glad there were no injuries but someone always pays and it looks like your innocent victim daughter is having to foot at least part of the bill.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Oooh, that's alarming Lance! A Mazda 2 and the airbag didn't deploy? My wife was looking buying one of those too! Glad there were no injuries but someone always pays and it looks like your innocent victim daughter is having to foot at least part of the bill.
    Thank you very much for your concerns, Waz. The most important thing is that no one was injured, other than a slight pain in the hip pocket!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also glad no-one was hurt. For such a small car to do so much damage, even in view of the crumple factor of these type of cars, she certainly must have been travelling. I hope she has learnt to be more careful if nothing else.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I'm also glad no-one was hurt. For such a small car to do so much damage, even in view of the crumple factor of these type of cars, she certainly must have been travelling. I hope she has learnt to be more careful if nothing else.
    Thank you for your concerns. I believe she didn't brake as she was doing something else at the time and not watching the road (read into that what you will) and probably hit at about 50kmh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mazda doesn't look like it has all that much damage, which is probably why the airbag did not deploy.
    If the bag did go off, then her car would have been written off too.

Glad no-one was injured, and I hope the driver has learned an expensive lesson from this.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    The Mazda doesn't look like it has all that much damage, which is probably why the airbag did not deploy.
    If the bag did go off, then her car would have been written off too.
    Actually, we fund out later that it was written of, too. Bent the chassis, apparently!

Glad no-one was injured, and I hope the driver has learned an expensive lesson from this.
    Thanks for the concerns and I am sure the young girl has learnt he lesson!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many moons ago we were watching an F.A. Cup final late at night when we also heard WHOOMFA!!!! (as Lance describes it).
    I'd forgotten to bring our car off the roadside that night. It was hit so hard that it was a write off. And it was written off by a drunken, unlicensed, uninsured idiot!
    Our insurance company's problem, as (thankfully) my wife always insisted on full comprehensive.
    As you say Lance, at least no one was injured. Material things can be fixed or replaced.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, I feel your pain, and your confusion.

Shouldn't happen, but it does, and you can't help but wonder why.

I also have two daughters, and have taken steps to equip them to be better drivers, such as advanced driver courses, and you can't help but wonder why any caring parent does not do the same.

I guess the bottom line is that, as far as your girls are concerned, it was a non-participation incident, and for that you can be thankful.

Hopefully, the unfortunate young ladies parents are concerned enough to ask the pertinent questions, and counsel her to ensure this sort of occurrence does not become a habit.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the airbags will only deploy if the speed is appropriate for them to do so, otherwise the occupant is exposed to unnecessary injury from the airbag itself.

What I can't fathom is the physics of the impact.
    Was your daughter in the green car at the time of the accident?
    Was the green car parked.
    If the cars haven't been moved from the time of the accident, it looks as tho the perpetrator was driving on the nature strip just prior to the accident!!

Main thing was that no one was injured, and hopefully the girl that caused the accident has learned a valuable lesson.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Mate, I feel your pain, and your confusion.

Shouldn't happen, but it does, and you can't help but wonder why.

I also have two daughters, and have taken steps to equip them to be better drivers, such as advanced driver courses, and you can't help but wonder why any caring parent does not do the same.

I guess the bottom line is that, as far as your girls are concerned, it was a non-participation incident, and for that you can be thankful.

Hopefully, the unfortunate young ladies parents are concerned enough to ask the pertinent questions, and counsel her to ensure this sort of occurrence does not become a habit.
    Thank you for your nice post, Kevin.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'm sure the airbags will only deploy if the speed is appropriate for them to do so, otherwise the occupant is exposed to unnecessary injury from the airbag itself.

What I can't fathom is the physics of the impact.
    Was your daughter in the green car at the time of the accident?
    No, thankfully!

Was the green car parked.
    Yes.

If the cars haven't been moved from the time of the accident, it looks as tho the perpetrator was driving on the nature strip just prior to the accident!!
    Yes, it looks that way, but they were all on the road.

Main thing was that no one was injured, and hopefully the girl that caused the accident has learned a valuable lesson.
    I am sure she has. Nice young girl and very remorseful.
    Last edited by Lance B; 05-04-2012 at 12:34am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Likewise good to hear that no one was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I am sure she has. Nice young girl and very remorseful.
    A major part of her remorse is that in all probability her brand new IPhone shot out of her hand and smashed into pieces on the dashboard -----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Must say Lance you are a calmer person than I. She would have copped the biggest earful from me.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air bags are designed to deploy in any impact greater than 5km/hr. The fact that these didn't in an impact that "bent the chassis" and resulted in such severe damage tells me the airbag is faulty. I hope her family has the presence of mind to ask Mazda WHY that happened and get it fixed or the next time it certainly could cost her serious injury at best, or her life at worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope your daughters cars were insured!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grrr I'm with Rick re: a mouth full. Good to see that now one was injured Lance, its also lucky that there were no pedestrians around at the time too.
    We have had a big influx of 3rd world immigrants to the Latrobe Valley that have probably never seen a car let alone drive one and are they a bloody menace on our streets!, they don't need distractions to drive bad
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Must say Lance you are a calmer person than I. She would have copped the biggest earful from me.
    LOL. I was a little cranky at the time but in the end there's no point in getting upset as it was done and the girl was very upset and apologetic.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Air bags are designed to deploy in any impact greater than 5km/hr. The fact that these didn't in an impact that "bent the chassis" and resulted in such severe damage tells me the airbag is faulty. I hope her family has the presence of mind to ask Mazda WHY that happened and get it fixed or the next time it certainly could cost her serious injury at best, or her life at worst.
    Yes, that is what I think they should be doing, too. Quite concerning that it didn't go off!

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLozalot View Post
    I hope your daughters cars were insured!
    Thank you for your concern, yes they were all insured, thankfully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast