Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Sigma 17-70

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let you know I have this lens as well and it will focus right down to the UV filter I have in front of it, there have been times when I have actually tapped on the subject I was focus on with the front lens. Also this lens produces excellent images with my 40D but for some reason not so great with my 50D ( yes I have tried the micro adjusting). Thats my experience with this lens so just thought I'd share it.
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hus View Post
    Just to let you know I have this lens as well and it will focus right down to the UV filter I have in front of it, there have been times when I have actually tapped on the subject I was focus on with the front lens. Also this lens produces excellent images with my 40D but for some reason not so great with my 50D ( yes I have tried the micro adjusting). Thats my experience with this lens so just thought I'd share it.

So a lens that will foucs up to close things is why they call them macro?
    ive done a little reading on macro but still confused.

I know the lens I have now I cant be closer than a few foot for it to be in focus.
    So in theory the 17-70 that can focus all the way in is a big bonus? And I might be able to put extension tubes on to get some bug photos? eyeball detail etc?

cheers cam

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronpatrol View Post
    So a lens that will foucs up to close things is why they call them macro?
    True macro lenses will allow focus to reproduce the subject in a 1:1 ratio on the sensor plane.

That is, your 5mm subject will be photographed across 5mm of the sensor(or film if you prefer).

Some time back, it was agreed by some photographic body and the manufacturers that the macro designation could be used on lenses that magnify the subject by up to a ratio of 1:3.
    That is, 1/3rd magnification.

My understanding of what the term macro actually means is a reproduction ratio of between 1:1 and about 6:1(that's 6x magnification).
    Beyond 6x magnification the term become microscopy, which is not the same term as Nikon's 'Micro' designation of it's lenses.

Not all 'proper' macro lenses will allow focus down to 1:1, and even these previously referred too prime lenses.
    Ziess, Voightlander (amongst others) have high quality macro designated prime lenses that can only do 1:2 reproduction natively and require extension tubes to go to 1:1.

I can't think of any zoom type macro lens that can do 1:1 reproduction without the use of any extension.

That I can think of, only one lens currently and easily available to the public is a true macro lens, and that is the Canon MPE which I think does 1:1 and higher magnification.(I can't remember all the specs of this lens, others have more knowledge of it).

Reproduction ratio is stated in a few ways.

X:Y is one way(eg. 1:3),

and N.NNx is another(eg. 0.33x) .. where the x means times, not X, and is the maximum magnification ability of the lens.

As an example of this, if you look at the specs of the Sigma 17-70 macro lens, it's maximum reproduction ability is 1:2.9, which is basically 1:3, which turns out to be 0.344x magnification
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N