Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Actuations of camera

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actuations of camera

I was wondering if the file name of a new camera related to how many photos have been taken with it? I shoot RAW and the first image taken with the camera says "0D5A0278" Would this translate to 278 images having been taken on this camera already?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filenames as generated by a camera are supposed to be unique (for that camera). Most brands use a counter that is incremented each time you take a picture, but that method is anything but fool-proof. Often, just exchanging memorycards is enough to modify the counter to something else. It can be a brand-new camera in which someone just inserted a card that was used in another camera or it can be there are test-shots made in the factory.

For some brands and cameratypes, you can retrieve the internal shuttercounter through software. What camera are we talking about?
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got to the computer where I have a link stored to shuttercount for Canon. Can't edit my original reply, so in this new answer:

http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount

Should work on both, MAC and Windows. I can't test it out anymore since I sold the Canon bodies that are supported by this software but I hear good things about it. It does cost a couple of dollars though and you'll need to hook up the camera to the computer for it to work.

You could also install Magic Lantern (download from http://www.magiclantern.fm/ ) which is free. The ML software can show the shuttercount in the camera itself and it's free (shuttercount is shown in the developer tools).

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    I just got to the computer where I have a link stored to shuttercount for Canon. Can't edit my original reply, so in this new answer:

http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount

Should work on both, MAC and Windows. I can't test it out anymore since I sold the Canon bodies that are supported by this software but I hear good things about it. It does cost a couple of dollars though and you'll need to hook up the camera to the computer for it to work.

You could also install Magic Lantern (download from http://www.magiclantern.fm/ ) which is free. The ML software can show the shuttercount in the camera itself and it's free (shuttercount is shown in the developer tools).

Thanks for your useful and insightful information Jev

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some exif viewing software can also reveal the shutter count of the camera too.(ExifTool is the one I tend to use)

All you need to do is load the last image that the camera has exposed, and look for it in the camera maker notes section of the exif.

Don't fully trust this info tho, as exif could be manipulated by an unscrupulous type trying to flog off something that isn't what it's supposed to be.

Also note that if the camera has had a major service or surgery of some type(major electronic component, or even the shutter itself), it's not uncommon for the service folks to reset shutter count.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shutter count is not part of the exif info created by Canon, so that won't work here...

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picasa shows IMG followed by number of shots then either CR2(raw)or JPEG. I take it you have a Canon?
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Picasa shows IMG followed by number of shots then either CR2(raw)or JPEG. I take it you have a Canon?
    Yes, its a canon.