Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Forget the rest, just go with Chrome.
    Nah. I looked at it once, and it didn't impress me.

Personally, I think email clients are old hat these days
    Why do you think email clients are old-hat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Why do you think email clients are old-hat?
    I don't just use one computer and move around. With Google apps, emails come with me to my Android 4g phone, to my IPad, my laptop if I actually bother to turn it on and to my work pc if I am in the office. google apps gives me 25 gb of storage and in 2 years I'm only using about 3% so far, I have the full power of Google to search my emails and the way that gmail works, you can establish rules to file your emails as they arrive. That means when you archive an email from your in box (instead of deleting it), it gets filed in the folder you set it up. Plus Postini's spam control and daily spam email digest and Google's virus checking are really great things.

I also use Google apps to share documents and it works well as it gives me access on my iPad and from anywhere.

So all in all, I like the email system I use a lot. This is also why I first decided to try Chrome. Today, it is very robust and is continually upgraded and you can configure it to remember your favorites etc regardless of which PC you use it from. There is only one site I have found that won't work with Chrome and that is an internal system at work. Google apps may not be for everybody but for me, it is well worth the $50 a year as in addition to the things above, it saves me from running my own mail server for my domain.
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't just use one computer and move around. With Google apps, emails come with me to my Android 4g phone, to my IPad, my laptop if I actually bother to turn it on and to my work pc if I am in the office. google apps gives me 25 gb of storage and in 2 years I'm only using about 3% so far, I have the full power of Google to search my emails and the way that gmail works, you can establish rules to file your emails as they arrive. That means when you archive an email from your in box (instead of deleting it), it gets filed in the folder you set it up. Plus Postini's spam control and daily spam email digest and Google's virus checking are really great things.
    I'm quite familiar with Gmail, and it's great; but you're not restricted to using a Web interface.

It fully supports IMAP (I use it), so you can leave your email on its servers, as well as access it locally or on a mobile device using a mail client.

It also supports POP3, but that's less useful than IMAP.

I have email dating back to 1996, and I've used quite a few email clients since then. Of those 16 years worth of email, the last 12ish are online and easily accessible from my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad.

I also use Google apps to share documents and it works well as it gives me access on my iPad and from anywhere.
    The mail client on the iPhone/iPad works very well with Gmail.

So all in all, I like the email system I use a lot. This is also why I first decided to try Chrome. Today, it is very robust and is continually upgraded and you can configure it to remember your favorites etc regardless of which PC you use it from. There is only one site I have found that won't work with Chrome and that is an internal system at work. Google apps may not be for everybody but for me, it is well worth the $50 a year as in addition to the things above, it saves me from running my own mail server for my domain.
    I've not looked at Chrome since it was fairly new, and while it may have improved considerably since then, I have three Apple devices which all run the same browser and which behave the same way; and there's really no need to change. Ditto for mail and calendar.

Whatever works for you (or anyone) works for you.

I was just curious as to why you considered email clients old-hat, given they allow the sort of functionality you want and need, and integrate quite well with online mail providers.