User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Facebook page full of "stolen" Images and watermarked with their own fb logo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook page full of "stolen" Images and watermarked with their own fb logo

Sorry if this has been posted before...

One of my Flickr contacts has just posted an image highlighting one of his pictures has been stolen and added to a Facebook page without his consent (along with many other peoples images). Maybe even some of yours are there?

fb page here

and some more info http://www.phototips.biz/2013/01/did-facebook-consent-to-image-theft.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be making sure all my photos are watermarked. Thanks for the heads up
    I have always been interested in photography (more as a hobby). Now I want to be more than just an amateur photographer, improve my skills and start my own business when the time is right. To help me do this, I would be greatful for any feedback positive or negative so I can improve my skills and knowledge

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” - Elliot Erwitt

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarcourt View Post
    I will be making sure all my photos are watermarked. Thanks for the heads up
    Watermarks can easily be removed if you have some skill at post processing. If someone wants to steal a photo you put up on the net, they will.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    possibly the only way is to watermark across the middle of the photo

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perthite View Post
    possibly the only way is to watermark across the middle of the photo
    And hope somebody "Like"s your watermark?

Why post at all there?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Watermarks can easily be removed if you have some skill at post processing. If someone wants to steal a photo you put up on the net, they will.
    Unfortunately you're right Rick. It must be difficult for those relying on their photography to make a living when they need to worry about how their work could be misused. How do you display your best work to generate more business without getting done over? I notice some professional landscape photographers have very small images available to view on the websites but for me the detail is so low that as a customer I wouldn't be able to decide if the image is worth the price or not...

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an amateur—and I realise the position is a little different for professionals who use the net to promote their work—I won't ever disfigure one of my photos by plastering a watermark all over it. Maybe a little one in the corner if I'm specially proud of something. Othrwise, if someone wants to steal it, well too bad, and bad cess to them, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the possibility.

Luckily none of my images, whether good or bad are likely to be spectacular enough for this guy.