Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus future direction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus future direction

Hi to all I was just wondering if anybody had information about the e series future direction. I have in the last year purchased a 620 and was saving to upgrade (this will take some time) in the future. In the meantime I don't want to waste money on good glass only to find there is not going to be a body to put it on.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The silence is deafening!

Micro 4/3? I've not read much about Olympus at all, I've not seen much on other sites either.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo!!!! A response! thankyou Kym

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like an answer to that question. - I have invested in some fairly decent Zuiko glass and hope that it isn't money wasted.

My E-3 is an excellent camera. - I just wish I had waited a bit until the E-30 was released. The E-3's replacement will hopefully provide us with a better idea of future direction.
    Cheers

Larry
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Canon EOS 6D | EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS | Speedlight 600EX-RT
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO | Olympus M.Zuiko DIGITAL 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO | Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH | Misc 4/3 lenses

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the lack of responses reflects the fact that we have no idea about the long term viability of Olympus and/or the 4/3rds system. There have been rumours around for a while now that Panasonic was going to buy out Olympus, so far this hasn't eventuated.

So, to answer your question, I and it would seem, the members of AP, have no idea!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/l...t_planning.php

This link has some information on another site. Hope they don't disappear as Oly was my 1st camera & what got me interested in photography.
    Last edited by Kym; 20-03-2010 at 11:47am. Reason: fix url
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could keep an eye on Photo Rumors. A recent post here.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a number of articles published recently of interviews with Olympus executives. It would seem 4/3 is not dead and the E3 successor is definitely coming and likely to appear before photokina in the august window.
    But my gut feeling is that m43 has the stronger growth and much of the development is in mirrorless, rather than 4/3.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevPride View Post
    "http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/03/lunch_with_olympus_manager_of_slr_product_planning.php"
    That's the article I read recently as well. If you want news or rumors I'd have a look around the four thirds forums, they hold discussions regularly.

There is talk of a mythical E5 starting, but i cant comment on how factful it is.
    Olympus bodies: E330 & the E3. Lenses: Zuiko 12-60mm, 50-200mm. Sigma 105mm. Extras: EX25, FL36R, FL50R and a few odds and ends

"A stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!" ~ Billy Connelly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a member on a couple of 4/3rds related forums, and there has been much talk about the future direction of the 4/3rds format. A lot of convo centres around micro 4/3rds, but there is also a fair bit of discussion about Olympus currently working on a replacement for the flagship E3.

I recently purchased an Oly E620 twin lens kit & 70-300mm Zuiko lens. I've been considering the 50-200mm SWD and EC14 teleconverter as well, but was initially a bit nervous about investing in the glass. After spending a fair bit of time researching and speaking with other Oly and 4/3rds users, I'm content to make the investment, as soon as the funds allow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
    I'm a member on a couple of 4/3rds related forums, and there has been much talk about the future direction of the 4/3rds format. A lot of convo centres around micro 4/3rds, but there is also a fair bit of discussion about Olympus currently working on a replacement for the flagship E3.

I recently purchased an Oly E620 twin lens kit & 70-300mm Zuiko lens. I've been considering the 50-200mm SWD and EC14 teleconverter as well, but was initially a bit nervous about investing in the glass. After spending a fair bit of time researching and speaking with other Oly and 4/3rds users, I'm content to make the investment, as soon as the funds allow
    I believe we will see at least the flagship model at or by Photokina & while m4/3's is an opportunity not to be lost, you should see 3 levels of DSLR's continuing. There are rumors of a possible modular design, but I wouldn't get too excited about details as it might be just that, a rumor. Olympus doesn't let too much out of the bag until they want to. I think if there is nice glass to be had in 4/3's, then I wouldn't hesitate just because there are some scare mongers out there with doomsday predictions.

Ross
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    I believe we will see at least the flagship model at or by Photokina & while m4/3's is an opportunity not to be lost, you should see 3 levels of DSLR's continuing. There are rumors of a possible modular design, but I wouldn't get too excited about details as it might be just that, a rumor. Olympus doesn't let too much out of the bag until they want to. I think if there is nice glass to be had in 4/3's, then I wouldn't hesitate just because there are some scare mongers out there with doomsday predictions.

Ross
    Have been contemplating the 7-14mm so I can fit in the gorges (around my neck of the woods) in frame and do them justice the 14-54 just doesn't do it. It is a substantial outlay even secondhand but you're right why wait around and not just get out there and enjoy.
    Unfortunately Olympus has backed them selves into a bit of a predicament, there seems to be a lot of pressure from users to see something at Photokina. I think this means that they need to come out with something new and innovative and not just a fill in to take pressure off for a while. Man I hope they do and we don't end up like the beta video users sitting in the corner sucking our thumb crying trying to decide between the only two movies available lol.
    Last edited by olympuse620; 11-06-2010 at 3:56pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post

Adam do you have any overheating issues when using live view?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by the response when last I mentioned 4/3, don't kill me. As someone who has long loved the Olympus cameras, I was disappointed to have to give them the flick last year; I sold up and moved onto Canon.

Olympus just got on the wrong train. What can they do?

-Admit their mistake then, move to APC type sensors and piss off those who have dropped serious money into the system.

-Stick with it and hope they improve. But even so, every day until the come up with a sensor that is less noisy than an AC / DC concert is a day they lose more and more ground to the competion.

Either way, I am glad I am no longer locked into a dead format.

My opinion, I am entitled to it.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Judging by the response when last I mentioned 4/3, don't kill me. As someone who has long loved the Olympus cameras, I was disappointed to have to give them the flick last year; I sold up and moved onto Canon.

Olympus just got on the wrong train. What can they do?

-Admit their mistake then, move to APC type sensors and piss off those who have dropped serious money into the system.

-Stick with it and hope they improve. But even so, every day until the come up with a sensor that is less noisy than an AC / DC concert is a day they lose more and more ground to the competion.

Either way, I am glad I am no longer locked into a dead format.

My opinion, I am entitled to it.

Scotty
    Scotty are you still disappointed, that would indicate that you miss your old gear?
    What do you miss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just reckon Olympus have always been great cameras.

Even the 4/3 (e520) I had took great pics, vivid colours etc. so long as the light was good.

However, it was its pathetic performance in low light ISO >= 400 or long exposure that made me ditch it.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    I don't do a lot of live view shooting. What is over heating sensor, screen, card?? Seems a bit odd.

Graeme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I just reckon Olympus have always been great cameras.

Even the 4/3 (e520) I had took great pics, vivid colours etc. so long as the light was good.

However, it was its pathetic performance in low light ISO >= 400 or long exposure that made me ditch it.

Scotty
    This is much less of an issue with the 620. No doubt the upcoming e3 repalcemnet with a new sensor will be even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    I haven't used Live View yet, hasn't really appealed to me (as I mostly shoot birds, I prefer the viewfinder for stability). However, I did a search and there isn't a lot of talk about such an issue. I think I found a similar post of yours on another forum that a few others people have had the issue in question.

Quote Originally Posted by lanegd01 View Post
    This is much less of an issue with the 620. No doubt the upcoming e3 repalcemnet with a new sensor will be even better.
    Agreed, however as a rule I set my maximum ISO to 800, and I don't have too many noise related issues.
    Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; 12-06-2010 at 10:38pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame that there is a persistant critic that seems to love to come in and bag Olympus when he only ever experienced a 10m pixel lower model camera (E520 & not the E3) or earlier & knows nothing about the 12.3m pixel models & the improvements that have been made to each emerging model & the capablilites of them. He comments on all Olympus models as if he knows all, but unfortunely he seems to know little of the capabilities of Olympus cameras. It's obvious there is some bitter resentment of not being satisfied with what he had with Olympus gear & I don't believe he used them with appropriate settings & got poor results because of it. Unless he can offer helpful & knowledgeable comments on Olympus gear, then I suggest he stick to making comments on Canon stuff in the Canon section. He is entitled to his opinion, but when it's just negative ignorance, then I would ask him to keep his opinion to himself.

There is a rumour that is suggesting a possible increase in sensor size will be in the next top model but will still be usable with all the 4/3's lenses & new primes will give a larger image circle to suit the larger sensor & this rumour could fit into the suggestions of modular design (or adapters) as well. These are all wild rumours but what Olympus will probably be bringing out or introducing at Photokina will be improved & with some nice added features. We will just have to wait & see. I would like to buy some more 4/3's lenses except my money won't stretch that far just yet, but I wouldn't hesitate if funds allowed.

Ross

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast