Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  68
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: discussion thread

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ABC tv show :PHOTO FINISH: discussion thread

With the premier of the ABC's Photo Finish show tonight, and member interest in this show. I decided to create this thread for all discussion related to the show. This keeps the site tidier, than having several different threads going with members comments and opinions.

For those who have not heard.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/photofinish/

Starts tonight on ABC at 8.00pm AEST

So please add any discussion or comments to this thread, rather than creating new ones. Any other thread may be merged into this one.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reminder, Rick. I meant to set the Tivo the other day but plum forgot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, set the recorder as there are two women in the house and fat chance of me getting what I want...........oops, dark clouds gather above my head........
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Pity they did not show more instructional stuff, so that beginners etc at home, get more of an idea of lighting. I think all three chose the wrong final photo to present. They all had stronger images that we saw during the shoots.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you Rick and I dont agree with the judges decision. My pic was the photo of Vince. I thought the winner was too busy.
    Keith.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I agree with you Rick and I dont agree with the judges decision. My pic was the photo of Vince. I thought the winner was too busy.
    Keith.
    I thought the photo of Vince was well taken, but it didn't reflect his known personality, in that he often plays a thug. I thought the winner had a great angle and it did reflect her subjects personality and persona. But I really liked the shot she got when she asked her to look up at the camera, using the mirror.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought there were stronger images taken by the eventual winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping Gary Heery would tell us the lens he uses most of the time. I did like the photo of Vince - it portrayed the softer side of him (which we probably wouldn't normally consider given the characters he plays with).

Now I'm off to google to see if I can find the lens Gary prefers to shoot with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too thought the image of Christa looking up was the better image...engaging the eyes through the lens. I love the shot though. Love the set up and how she went about photographing Christa. Considering they didnt have aclue what to do in the studio, they did really well.

Overall. I love the concept of the show and look forward to seeing more.
    Last edited by Ms Monny; 14-06-2012 at 10:04pm.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to when they tackle landscapes!!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto to the eventual winner having better shots of her subject and as mentioned particularly the shot of her looking up. I wasn't a fan of the big white flourescent light in the winning image though but it was a great angle. I liked the image of Vince but again I thought there were better shots taken by the contestant and wasn't keen on the Dick Smith image as it didn't really reflect his character at all.

If anything, the show might give our AP members a better idea about critiquing images.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you missed it you can view it here
    http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/22887

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    I'm looking forward to when they tackle landscapes!!
    Next week, they end up at the top of Mt Wellington, here in Hobart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has been said, all contestants had stronger images than those they chose to display. I thought the winning image made the subject look like a transvestite.

As far as the show itself, I thought there was very little actual content. When it finished I thought it should have been a 5 minute filler rather than a half hour program.

Gary the Pro was OK, but could have been more engaging. The other judge, Anne the curator, was totally devoid of personality and presence. The host was ok, but stiff.

Overall pretty amateur television. I do plan on watching it though as I think it will mature and loosen up.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting concept - Definitely could identify with the three contestants - having not dabbled in studio work myself, I'd be just as intimidated....but I reckon I'd enter just to play with a 'Blad !
    I thought the host wasn't overly convincing though - not bad ...but a bit er.."beige" for want of a better description.
    As Rick said - be nice to have more instructional info.
    Also I'd have liked to see the pro do his own take on the three subjects - how would he shoot them.
    Last edited by MattNQ; 15-06-2012 at 2:41am.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Speedway, the photo of Vince was stronger and I was expecting the judges to pick it. I feel that the show was a little devoid of content. Maybe rather than having a judged winner, just some critique from the judges and the ABC could engage the audience by having us pick the winner and displaying the result next week.
    Amateurs muddling their way through unfamiliar equipment must have been hard though.
    See my work on

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering what the point was in throwing those three into the deep end in a professional studio environment and equipment they have no experience with and saying sink or swim. No mention if there was any assistance given on it's use during or prior to the studio time frame. No explanations or assistance given to the viewer, only the watching of 3 people in a panic struggling to come to terms with an alien environment.

I don't understand the purpose of this.

I also didn't like the format of a contest and manufactured dramatics to name the weekly winner, the like of which is normally associated with the biggest loser, reality type shows. Too tabloid for my liking with a concentration on drama at the expense of substance and not what i expected from the ABC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Keith.
    Who ever agrees with the judge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect (haven't checked) that it wasn't an ABC production, but a bought in 'idea' from a small production company, possibly a one man band, shot with digicams, and edited on a Mac using Final Cut Pro. Definitely a small player production.

Talking with another enthusiastic amateur photographer here at work, they too thought there was very little in the way of photography in the show, more like just another reality show with winners and losers.

Cheers,
    Jason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Nicole through a pentax forum Im a member of...blew me away when I saw her on the show.....she shoots a Pentax Kx I believe..her image showed Vinces softer side and if the comp allowed a small narrative from the contestants Im sure she would have got across the line ..after explaining the significance of the carousel
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast