User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Is the business of photography dead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I think has gone is the option to study a bit, get a camera and open a suburban photo shop, like we used to see in most shopping centres. Now you have to create your niche. That's not to say there aren't opportunities, because there are, but they cover a very wide range of things and there is no formula. Even wedding photography requires something a little more than just turning up, taking some nice photos and putting them in a nice album. It really helps if you really like weddings and can be creative about the job. If you just want money then become something other than a photographer because you could probably earn more elsewhere. It's like film or music or acting. Some earn heaps, but most do it because they love it and many just scratch a living.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    ...What I think has gone is the option to study a bit, get a camera and open a suburban photo shop, like we used to see in most shopping centres. Now you have to create your niche...
    It may become the new niche
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    What I think has gone is the option to study a bit, get a camera and open a suburban photo shop, like we used to see in most shopping centres. Now you have to create your niche.
    Agree. All you need to do is look at all the $500 wedding photographers on facebook to see the lack of inspiration. Pick one, any one, and you will probably get a set of photos that any of them could have taken. The whole industry tends to be like that though. Someone comes up with selective colour as a great idea for wedding photos. Nek Minit..everyone is doing them. Trash the Dress. Cake Smash. So many imitate! Even if you do find your niche, don't be surprised to find others following along behind trying to copy everything you do.

Photography has become a game of imitation, for the most part.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

Photography has become a game of imitation, for the most part.
    Photography .... and everything else too, Rick. There are still opportunities, but it is always the temptation to go for the short term gain and just copy something that works. I suspect if your target is money, then that is the best thing to do. If you want more than that, then you have to risk not making much money and just do it anyway. Tough call if you have a new baby and mortgage.