User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob Purchase.. Canon or Nikon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Noob Purchase.. Canon or Nikon?

Hi.. I am completely new to the field of DSLR and was thinking of purchasing a Canon 60D so I don't have to upgrade the body in the future rather than going for an older/easier to use perhaps model? I have been doing some internet research today and came across the Nikon D7000 which seems pretty good too... I was a bit turned off by the 60D due to the raves about the video camera (as this is a function I will never probably use) and the Nikon appeared better for still shots?
    Anyways any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bell =)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & Welcome
    - when you get your camera, lets see some photos in the main CC forums and have fun! Maybe try a competition or 2.

As a Pentax shooter, get the D7000 -- it has best APS-C sensor!! (The same as the Pentax K-5)

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography book and the Learning Plan in the book.

Specifically check the New to Photography book and equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.
    Last edited by Kym; 15-01-2012 at 8:03pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to get hands on with the cameras, they are quite different to handle and one or the other might simply gel with you. They are all pretty much good quality these days so find something that you are comfortable with. Don't let the video feature turn you away, sure you might not use it but it certainly doesn't mean the camera isn't as good for stills. The 60D is a great camera.

Also consider your budget, when choosing a brand remember you are buying into an ecosystem of lenses, flashes etc, so a cheap body might cost you more in the long run to match it with the lenses you need.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Camera Bodies are disposable items. They have a limited life. The 60D has a shutter rating of 100,000 accuations. The D7000 has a 150,000 accuation life expectancy. Shutter assemblies can be replaced, but by then the cost of replacing it will probably be more than a 7D or a D3 second hand.

So get good quality lenses (these will last you a lifetime) and buy the camera body you want now, in the knowledge that you will need to replace it at some stage in the future
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel them in your hands.

Do you have something specific you want to shoot, such that the choice of available lenses (and what they cost!) makes a difference?

Do you have friends with lenses or flashes you could borrow or ask for help, go with them.

And does it really have to be a DSLR? There are a lot of other choices with big sensors now.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like a DSLR.. but am open for options... I have horses, so would love some action shots... also family stuff, landscapes.. ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want good stills of moving horses, yes a DSLR.

In Canon and Nikon, what makes them good for this makes them bad at video of the same subject. Sony translucent mirror bodies would be the best compromise for both.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want video really, just stills.. Thanx for the feedback guys.. still stuck on the Nikon D7000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D7000 has a greater dynamic range.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much of a muchness as they say.
    I think D7000 is slightly better at this level, but I also admit that the video function is something I'd use regularly too!
    But I want better video.

Anyhow.. don't discount the gear due to some feature you won't ever use ... you are not obliged to use it, and every current DSLR except the D700(and the odd oddball obscure camera too) has video now, so whether you like it or not you're going to get video anyhow.

I agree about the Sony SLT type cameras. They seem to have a lot going for them, but be aware of the caveats with the high performance figures Sony is quoting.

A77 should last a while as a camera with interesting specs, that is before an updated version with some new ultra uber spec that is a must have.

I got to tell you, that I'd have been happy with a Nikon D700(no video) if not for the simple fact that I want video. Otherwise I'd have got one about a year ago.

it depends on your shooting needs. But if I were in your situation(and video is definitely a feature not wanted) I'd go with a D700. Expensive for sure by comparison, but ultimately a better option if growth into the hobby is something you expect to do.

As other have said and will continue to say for ever and a day ... the lenses you choose will have a greater bearing in your photography life.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love, love , love my D7000. It feels good in my tiny hands, handles high ISO well with little noise, fast Auto focusing, great colour.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I photograph horses, and I have a Nikon D3100 - and love it.

I am sure that the Cannon would do a similar job, but I preferred the feel of the Nikon and liked the video feature.

Be sure to get a high speed card, because you will need on if you want action shots like this

comp colt.jpg

Or stills like this

DSC_0033A.jpg
    Last edited by Oritah; 15-01-2012 at 10:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definatly need to go too the shops and feel which ever ones you are tossing up between !! It should help you make up your mind

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragons girl View Post
    You definatly need to go too the shops and feel which ever ones you are tossing up between !! It should help you make up your mind
    As others have also said, this is correct. You'll take better photos with something that's comfortable in your hands.
    Also depends what your budget allows you to afford.
    BTW I'm happy with my 60D and wouldn't have a clue how to use video mode. That's not what you're paying for and not what I bought it for.
    So, Canon or Nikon? They're both good. Just be happy with what you decide, then you'll be happy.
    Last edited by Mark L; 15-01-2012 at 11:18pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think the 'see it feels in ur hands' recommendation is not that important. Both Canon and Nikon are shaped similarly. Some of the ergonomics are different but really they don't become apparent until you have shot with both systems for a while.

I was going through this decision early last year and went with the Nikon d7000. I would say it is the best non full frame DSLR. I'm not a Nikon 'fanboy' (in fact I posted recently about possibly switching to Canon) but honestly if you compare like for like - Nikon trumps every Canon in the same price range. The only exception is probably the 5d mark II - which is again bested by the d700 for stills - but I'd awesome for video.

Get the d7000. You won't be disappointed! Just remember that you are buying into a system. It is really all about the lenses. Camera bodies will come and go...but lenses will stay with you for ages. Don't spend huge chunks of your budget on a body without considering lenses. If you are going to stick with DX bodies over time...then the lenses also become cheaper. A big plus of the d7000 is that it has an internal focusing motor...so you can use some of the great (and still cheap) glass which is not APS.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To elaborate on Puzz1e's last word .. APS should be AF-S. And theyr'e right. The cheaper Nikon bodies don't have an internal focus motor in them and the D7000 does. And there are many great non AFS type lenses that won't auto focus on these cheaper motorless cameras, but will on the D7000.
    ALSO, with the D7000 it allows you the ability to set older manual type lens info into the camera's system which then allows you to use auto exposure modes with these lenses.
    if you are into the gear as much as the hobby itself, then this can be a boon!

Also don't discount Pentax(great value for money) as a viable option.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most important aspects is to try them all out and see which sytem is easiest to use to you and will therefore mean it is easier for you to do so and therefore you will enjoy the experience and want to use the camera. If you find that the camera is difficult to use, then you are less inclind to want to use it or, that you will miss shots because you find the way to use it too difficult and therefore miss important shots.

Even though I shoot Nikon and love the system, do not dismiss Pentax as they have some very inuitive cameras which have excellent ergonomics, functionality an there are some lovely lenses, too. I am not a Canon fan, not that there is anything wrong with Canon, it's just that I find them difficult and not intuitive to use for me. However, many people love the Canon system and wouldn't use anything else. It's all a matter of what suits you best, so, go try them all out and talk to the salesman and see which you find the best to use and what feels best in your hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who is switching to the D7000 from Sony, it is interesting to read all the different POV's

Personally I would go Nikon. I have gorilla hands and I found the D7000 comfortable whilst playing with it for an hour today.

However do not discount the Pentax as it is a strong contender, in body stability vs Nikon in lens VR, Every K mount lens can be used on their DSLR bodies and they do share the same sensor.

But the gear is only a small percentage of what makes a great pic
    Now I just have to wait til Feb to get my hands on my D7000 and start my journey learning the new system.
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other thing to remember is that photos are 90% photographer. You can buy a point and shoot or spend $10K on a camera. It does not take better photos. Don't get to hung up on which camera, they all do the same basic stuff, and any of the current models, from any of the major brands is quite capable of capturing a scene. What is needed is a person behind that camera who knows what they are doing.

Anyone who says buy Nikon, cause its better than Canon, or buy Canon cause its better than Pentax, or buy Pentax cause its better than Sony..doesn't know shite!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzz1e View Post
    I personally think the 'see it feels in ur hands' recommendation is not that important. Both Canon and Nikon are shaped similarly. Some of the ergonomics are different but really they don't become apparent until you have shot with both systems for a while.
    I think that depends on hand size and shape. I have Canon SLR's (all manual focus lenses, so I had no real need to stay with a brand, due to lens acquisition in the past) and Nikon DSLR's. When I went digital, I decided to explore both. I found the Canon DSLR range just did not feel instantly comfortable in my hands, where the Nikon's did. i tried a range of models across both brands. In the end, there was little difference in price and feature set, so I went with Nikon.

Ergonomics are a funny thing, what feels good for one body-shape, does not for another.

But deciding on ergonomics alone, is not really a good choice either, its about the whole package. We don't buy a new car just cause the steering wheel feels good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast