Thread: EM-5

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EM-5

No love for the EM-5 in here?
    I know, I know..it's probably just a reflection of the smaller user base here.

Anyways, I think Olympus nailed this one and I would love to use this as my lite take everywhere camera.

Sensor size: IMO it's the Goldilocks of sensor size. Not too big, and not too small. A good trade off between size and performance.

Lens selection: probably the most mature in the mirrorless or CSC segment. The fast zooms are coming this year for those that want it. Not sure what else is missing, maybe some native fast tele primes? Not that I need them and kind of defeats the purpose of a compact system so they might never come.

Bells and whistles:
    EVF
    ibis
    Weather seal
    Dual control wheels
    Faster AF
    All very photocentric features

I use to own a GH2 but sold it for various reasons so this might be try 2 with m43 for me.

If only there were some native wireless connectivity. Oh well, I'll have to experiment with Eye-fi then.

Just waiting for some production camera reviews.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pen E-P1 and E-P3 and I am interested in the OM-D E-M5 although I would have preferred a rangefinder style camera instead of a pseudo dSLR.

That said, it still holds interest for me and I have a lot of fun shooting with my E-P3 even if my Nikon D90 is the more forgiving camera when dealing with difficult lighting etc.

If the E-P3 sensor is as good as claimed it will be a big plus. Olympus still need fast zooms but now have some great primes in the 12, 45 and recently announced 75mm lenses.

The water resistant 12-50 will be a good kit lens.

I am in no rush to get the OM-D but will wait until prices die down. It is good to see interesting and fun product coming out of Olympus.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you like the 12mm/f2, Peter.
    I'm trying to decide on a nice little kit and am tossing up between the prime or a uwa zoom.
    For me, overall size and weight are key considerations.
    So something like a Oly 9-18, Panny 20/1.7 and I haven't decided between the 45/1.8, 60/2.8 macro and 75/1.8.
    I'm also undecided on the kit lens but the pseudo macro and power zoom for video might win me over.
    I have an existing m43-Fmount adapter so my 85/1.4 can act as a Manual focus 170/1.4 so maybe that takes the 75/1.8 out of the equation. Leaning towards the 45/1.8.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 12mm f/2 is my "standard" lens as it gives a reasonably wide angle and decent speed. AF performance is excellent, even on the poor old E-P1 and the manual focus setup is close to perfect for any lens. Resistance to flare when shooting into the sun is also excellent.

I also have the 9-18mm Olympus lens and it is a good choice for a general ultra-wide lens. Where it falls down for me is that I do a lot of pre-dawn photography and it just doesn't compare with the ease of use of the 12mm lens under low light. You simply cannot focus the 9-18mm lens without lighting up your subject. If it had a focus scale on it, it would be a completely different matter. Resistance to flare is outstanding for a UWA zoom but CAs can be high in some conditions. I like the extra width compared to the 12mm and the wide zoom makes it good for interiors and street scenes. Still, I would go for the 12mm if I only had to have the one lens.

I also have the Panny 20mm f/1.7. Panny owners rave about it but I think it is a pretty ordinary lens. Noisy and slow AF but at least it is fast enough but I often find it a little long for interior shooting. It does make a compact kit on the camera and mine was very cheap for the time I bought it (direct from Japan).

The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 is the outstanding bargain lens of the year (and possibly the decade). Other than occassionally missing the mechanical manual focus that you have on the 12mm lens, I cannot fault it. Good value. I managed to by mine from a deceased estate as a second-hand lens still in box and less than 3 weeks old for $300. Even at the normal retail prices in Australia, the lens is value. On this occassion, the best $300 I have ever spent.

The 12-50mm dissapoints in speed but does have some compelling features, e.g. weather proofing, the 1:2 macro which should be enough for me as I have a 1:1 macro for the Nikon, doesn't change lenght of focus or zoom. I believe the image quality is very good, almost approaching the FT 12-60mm lens. Pity they couldn't have done it as a f/2.8 or even constant aperture f/4. Anyway, I venture out into wet conditions a lot so it will still be handy and the zoom range is good. Bundled with the camera, the lens seems good value (subject to local street pricing).

Quite frankly, the ideal zoom for me on the MFT camera would be a 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom and I am sure you could make a reasonably compact lens of that range.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Quite frankly, the ideal zoom for me on the MFT camera would be a 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom and I am sure you could make a reasonably compact lens of that range.
    In case you weren't aware, you should be in for a treat since Panasonic has already shown the prototype x lenses in exactly those specs. It doesn't look too big either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wait to see how the focus is with 4/3 lenses, I have too much $$$ tied up in 4/3 glass. They do say this is not a pro model so something better should be coming, maybe E7.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    In case you weren't aware, you should be in for a treat since Panasonic has already shown the prototype x lenses in exactly those specs. It doesn't look too big either
    I have seen that but the x lenses to date have so far been dissapointing with nothing exceptional in performance and I can live without things like power zoom controls (I believe the Olympus 12-50 has something along those lines too). I really want to see mechanical zoom and focus rings.

Of course Olympus makes some great lenses in FT mount like the 14-35mm f/2 but a little out of scale for MFT.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use an E-p2 to pretty decent effect. tons of 4/3 gear, so the upgrade to OM-D is a no-brainer for me.
    Last edited by ericimbs; 19-03-2012 at 7:23am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericimbs View Post
    i use an E-p2 to pretty decent effect. tons of 4/3 gear, so the upgrade to OM-D is a no-brainer for me.
    Don't think I'll upgrade for a while, unless I go travel and want a smaller camera. I'll wait and see what the E5 upgrade brings first.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    Don't think I'll upgrade for a while, unless I go travel and want a smaller camera. I'll wait and see what the E5 upgrade brings first.
    I would be surprised if there is an E5 upgrade. End of the line imho. The E5 itself was a cost saving exercise to keep the pressure off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not according to Olympus - they have promised an E-7 which logically would feature the new EM-5 16MP sensor and five-ways IS.
    Last edited by DavCal; 03-04-2012 at 5:35pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the Panny 1.7/20mm is a superb, crisp lens with beautiful boke. I'll be putting mine onto my EM-5 when I get one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anyone else out there with an EM-5?

I've had mine for about a week now, and in addition to what has been reviewed online (compact form factor, excellent IBIS and quite good noise and AF performance), I've actually found the 'one touch on the screen to focus and release the shutter' function to be quite useful. Seemed rather gimmicky when reading about it but the feature works quite well.

Being a lot more compact has also meant having the camera with me more often, rather than leaving it at home - which happened a LOT with the SLR!

Oh, and the 45mm f/1.8 lens is great too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Program View Post
    Is there anyone else out there with an EM-5?

I've had mine for about a week now, and in addition to what has been reviewed online (compact form factor, excellent IBIS and quite good noise and AF performance), I've actually found the 'one touch on the screen to focus and release the shutter' function to be quite useful. Seemed rather gimmicky when reading about it but the feature works quite well.

Being a lot more compact has also meant having the camera with me more often, rather than leaving it at home - which happened a LOT with the SLR!

Oh, and the 45mm f/1.8 lens is great too
    I've had mine about a week. I like being able to just drop in whatever bag I am carrying. I have one of those square cloths with velcro corners to wrap it in. I mainly use the 12-50 on it. i find it quick and responsive in both auto and manual I have ordered the 75-300mm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...ro-four-thirds
    Relatively small
    Weather sealed
    Power ois
    Mechanical zoom
    Sharp (across the entire focal length even wide open from early reports)

What's not to like
    The price, but it's not that bad.
    Well I don't really use standard zooms much but one can't help feel impressed.

Apologies for bringing my own thread OT.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea of the Australian pricing but Panasonic seem to go high in Oz compred to the rest of the World.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, considering the Panasonic's 7-14's close to $2k in Aus and is under $1k in the US and now Amazon has the 12-35 listed at $1299 preorder, I don't want to know what Aussies'll have to pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Yea, considering the Panasonic's 7-14's close to $2k in Aus and is under $1k in the US and now Amazon has the 12-35 listed at $1299 preorder, I don't want to know what Aussies'll have to pay.
    Ouch!! out of my price range

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Micro 4/3 lovers.

I have been shooting in M 4/3 for just over a year now and recently purchased the OMD EM-5 with 12-50mm lens and battery grip (awaiting the FL 600R flash). I love micro 4/3 and especially the EM-5. After using the EM-5 for a week I just couldn't see myself every using my Canon 5D II again, so I sold it off along with a number of lenses.
    Shaun.

OMD EM-5 | E-PL1
    MZD 14-42mm II | MZD 12-50mm | MZD 9-18mm | ZD 40-150mm | Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 | Canon FD 100mm Macro f/4.0 | Canon FD 135mm f/3.5 | Canon FD 300mm f/4.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post up some pics and lets see them.
    I'd like to hear your comparison to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast