User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28

Thread: Does everyone want to be a photographer now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of missread your meaning from the title. I thought you meant, does everyone want to own a camera and take pics (be a photographer)? Probably, the answer is most people! But, I think of myself as a photographer, but have NO aspirations to ever be a pro photographer. I guess it's like, if you have a guitar and play music you're a musician - but that doesn't make you a pro musician.

In my opinion (not terribly educated on the matter) what will change the landscape for pro photographers will more likely be photoshop and other editing tools. The company I work in, every one of the IT guys has a DSLR. Whilst I think I take better photos than them, I certainly don't edit better than them... and as for one of their friends who's also a web designer... his work is amazing.

Of course, none of it looks "real" anymore - but one more generation and I reckon "real" will become irrelevant.
    Cheers,
    Terri

Nikon D90 | Olympus XZ-1 | Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 | Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro | Nikon 50mm f1.4 | Nikon 18-105mm VR | Photoshop Element 7.0 | Manfrotto 190X

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Giraffes?

Everyone who takes photos is a photographer. Then there are exceptional photographers, and then there are professional photographers. We tend to get confused about which is what.
    QED.
    CC, Image editing OK.