User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Black Snake

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Snake

Hi All. Been a while, I thought I better post something before I lost my privileges.
    A Black Snake that I caught at the Archery club. Our land is swampy and has lots of native rats and hence "snakes.
    Our President has been bitten twice by Black Snakes at the club and were both dry.
    He was released after a look.

Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave.. Interesting Reptile though not familiar with that snake, what kind of Black Snake is it.
    I only know Red Bellied Blacks as there are plenty of those up here.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a pretty casual sort of grip your friend has on that there snake, is he the one twice bitten?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Hi Dave.. Interesting Reptile though not familiar with that snake, what kind of Black Snake is it.
    I only know Red Bellied Blacks as there are plenty of those up here.
    Sorry Mary Anne it is a Red Bellied Black snake, I cal lthem Black snakes. Not aggressive at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    That is a pretty casual sort of grip your friend has on that there snake, is he the one twice bitten?
    That's actually me Marty. He wasn't struggling thats why the lose grip, I dont make a habit of handling them but I do know how to safely, At least I think I do!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Sorry Mary Anne it is a Red Bellied Black snake, I cal lthem Black snakes. Not aggressive at all.
    I have come across a few in my time, watched in amazement as one pair did their mating dance in the middle of the road.
    There is one down the Eagleby wetlands and every time we go there and walk on the board walk it slithers away below in the grass and hides from us.
    Tony has seen a few when walking around our local lagoon, though they are adult size.. I have never seen a small or young one before so Thanks for Sharing Dave.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DP. Is this a "red-bellied" black snake (as are often found near damp places)?
    Also, did you have the "jitters"? - the pic is crook
    Last edited by ameerat42; 21-09-2015 at 9:53am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave, good to see ya mate. You're looking well.

Your little mate doesn't look too impressed. Glad you both survived.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I have come across a few in my time, watched in amazement as one pair did their mating dance in the middle of the road.
    There is one down the Eagleby wetlands and every time we go there and walk on the board walk it slithers away below in the grass and hides from us.
    Tony has seen a few when walking around our local lagoon, though they are adult size.. I have never seen a small or young one before so Thanks for Sharing Dave.
    They do love swampy ground Mary Anne. The dance would have been amazing to watch I recon. They a very shy and tamable so they Say, not that I would trust them. I think if any animal is handled correctly they can become familiar with you and more relaxed. The President says the place is riddled with them so expect more images, I will use my Canon next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    DP. Is this a "red-bellied" black snake (as are often found near damp places)?
    Also, did you have the "jitters"? - the pic is crook
    Gday AM It sure is. I was a tad nervous but not in control of the Phone Camera

Extract from the web.

Red Bellied Black Snake Bite

Symptoms of a Red Belly Black Snake bite include bleeding and swelling at the site of the bite, nausea, vomiting and headache, diarrhoea, muscle pain and general weakness. The victim may also pass red-brown urine as a result of muscle damage caused by the cytotoxin in the snake's venom.

There is no record of any human dying from a Red Bellied Black Snake bite.

A friend was Bitten last year while hunting, He only suffered a mild illness for a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Hey Dave, good to see ya mate. You're looking well.

Your little mate doesn't look too impressed. Glad you both survived.
    Thanks for the nice comments Kev Its good to pop in for a chinwag I must do it more often. The bloke who found him was Kicking at it and pocking it with a stick so it was about as angry as it could be. I love creatures great and small.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I don't get to see anywhere near as many snakes as I'd like. I went for a wander around a local lake on Friday looking for a shoot location and was hoping I'd spot something, but no luck. But I do know that if I did see anything I wouldn't be handling it because I could be pretty sure it would most likely be a dugite or a tiger snake
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Nice. I don't get to see anywhere near as many snakes as I'd like. I went for a wander around a local lake on Friday looking for a shoot location and was hoping I'd spot something, but no luck. But I do know that if I did see anything I wouldn't be handling it because I could be pretty sure it would most likely be a dugite or a tiger snake

Come out this way and you'll see plenty! On, did I mention they're Eastern Brown snakes? Cranky buggers ....

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dave! Good to see you mate! Hope all is well!

You sure on the ID, looks a little pale for a RBB First glance I thought it was a lowland copperhead
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice