User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MX5 Mazda Roadstar worth buying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MX5 Mazda Roadstar worth buying?

Now I know this is badly out of focus but I need to get some opinions.

I am thinking of selling my Hayabusa motorbike and buying a MX5 Mazda sportscar.

Have always adored the old Austin Heally and I believe this car has a similar feel.

Has anyone got a MX5 and is it recommendable or should I buy something else?

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 15-09-2011 at 12:26pm.
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't owned one, but have worked on them. very reliable, fun to drive. Try and get a later model one without the pop-up headlights, they nearly always end up causing grief.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that will avoid the pop-up lights.

Was also thinking of buying at least the 2 liter model would you agree?

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 15-09-2011 at 12:49pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to follow the old adage - there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the old Austin Healy too but the MX5 will definitely win in the handling and cornering stakes, not to mention easier servicing. Have been thinking of buying one as a weekend car for driving in the hills, Adelaide has some of the best hills driving roads and scenic routes in Australia and Im only 15 mins from it

I'd go with the mid to late 90s model if you can, the late 80s model with the pop up lights are racking up the kilometres on the engine, albeit still a very realiable performer.

add a set of decently gripped sports tyres, front and rear swaybars and strut braces and it will grip the corners like crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Coppola from here has one.

I think they are the best open top out there without doubt for the $

Like all 2nd hand cars though you get what you pay for
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike definitely has one and is a very good driver with it too on the streets and on the track, best bet would be to speak to the bald man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem with MX5's is that I'm yet to see any bloke in one not look like a **insert a synonym for rooster here**

Which sucks because I think they are a beautiful car.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, a lot believe them a hairdressers car. A bit unfair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with a NA vs the NB or a NC anyday. Comparing the 3 versions the feel of the NA , albeit old, is so much better. Small and agile where the NC feels fat and clumsy in comparison. The NB is just a little more numb as well. My friend has a NA with a 2lit turbocharged engine in it. Rapes pretty much anything on the road in terms of cornering and straight line. Of course throttle control is imperative as the back end will bite you with so much power on tap. He once "caused" a heavily modded EVO 9 to roll in Sepang (malaysia) cause the evo kept pushing through the corner trying to keep up with the mx5. At the end of the day the driver matters a lot as well.

To me the 2 roadsters that are track awesome will always be the S2K and the mx5 NA. I'm looking to pick up track work again in the next couple of years once i've settled down and i reckon a supercharged s2k will be on the list

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I love the old Austin Healy too but the MX5 will definitely win in the handling and cornering stakes, not to mention easier servicing. Have been thinking of buying one as a weekend car for driving in the hills, Adelaide has some of the best hills driving roads and scenic routes in Australia and Im only 15 mins from it

I'd go with the mid to late 90s model if you can, the late 80s model with the pop up lights are racking up the kilometres on the engine, albeit still a very realiable performer.

add a set of decently gripped sports tyres, front and rear swaybars and strut braces and it will grip the corners like crazy.
    We want to do the same and drive it weekends on a breakfast run as we now do with the bike.
    I have had the Hayabusa now for 4 years and its a great bike with insane power and speed.

However its time to move on and the MX5 should do nicely.

Thanks for your advice

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 15-09-2011 at 4:15pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I'd go with a NA vs the NB or a NC anyday. Comparing the 3 versions the feel of the NA , albeit old, is so much better. Small and agile where the NC feels fat and clumsy in comparison. The NB is just a little more numb as well. My friend has a NA with a 2lit turbocharged engine in it. Rapes pretty much anything on the road in terms of cornering and straight line. Of course throttle control is imperative as the back end will bite you with so much power on tap. He once "caused" a heavily modded EVO 9 to roll in Sepang (malaysia) cause the evo kept pushing through the corner trying to keep up with the mx5. At the end of the day the driver matters a lot as well.

To me the 2 roadsters that are track awesome will always be the S2K and the mx5 NA. I'm looking to pick up track work again in the next couple of years once i've settled down and i reckon a supercharged s2k will be on the list
    Thats interesting I will take the various models for a drive and see which one I like.

Its all in the driving, power is nice but not everything.

I have a modded Golf 4 1600 with which I have great fun as everyone underestimates it but lots come off second best. Below 3000 revs its as dead as doornail but thereafter the motor is suddenly sweet.

The Busa is strong from the word go but the fastest cars ignores me its no fun.

I like the S2K as well but I am a bit big for it.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 15-09-2011 at 4:31pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    The biggest problem with MX5's is that I'm yet to see any bloke in one not look like a **insert a synonym for rooster here**

Which sucks because I think they are a beautiful car.
    Now that is a low blow ha ha ....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Michael Coppola from here has one.

I think they are the best open top out there without doubt for the $

Like all 2nd hand cars though you get what you pay for
    Thanks will talk to him!

Regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    yes, a lot believe them a hairdressers car. A bit unfair.
    Hmm will not let that put me off.
    Its all the very old people driving it that worries me.

Regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    I like to follow the old adage - there is no substitute for cubic inches.
    Agree with you but my head goes stupid and I then drive like a maniac.

One of the reasons why the Busa has to go.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah....methinks you are thinking as I am. My bike is going very soon and we will probably need a second set of wheels....and the mx5 is a very strong contender. Same as you too about doing the breakfast run on the weekends. julie has a crook back and the cruiser hitting a bump is no fun and I really only enjoy doing a run with her anyway so like I said....the bike has had it`s day.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Thats interesting I will take the various models for a drive and see which one I like.

Its all in the driving, power is nice but not everything.

I have a modded Golf 4 1600 with which I have great fun as everyone underestimates it but lots come off second best. Below 3000 revs its as dead as doornail but thereafter the motor is suddenly sweet.

The Busa is strong from the word go but the fastest cars ignores me its no fun.

I like the S2K as well but I am a bit big for it.

Regards
    If you think the S2K is small, the NA is definitely out. The NB is about the same. NC is slightly bigger IMO. Looks like NC is the way to go? At the end of the day the NC is a fantastic car to drive and is comfortable to boot. It still handles in the top 20% of cars and is easy to drive day to day. Only qualm is i wished there was more power. Being used to a decently modded skyline, when i jumped into the NC. I felt that the car had a lot more potential with a better engine. May not be as neutral where you can "keep the pedal to the metal" round the corner kinda thing but where's the fun in a car that doesn't bite back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Hmm will not let that put me off.
    Its all the very old people driving it that worries me.

Regards
    /me looks at your profile picture *scratches head*

You think? LOL. Just joking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally not a big fan of the MX5, however this year model I don't mind (2001-2003??)

My dad does quite like the MX5s too.

However, my vote goes to a Honda S2000, they really appeal to me! Sound fantastic, perform very well (two close mates had one, both done differently though. One JDM Panda spec, one in a magazine TopSecret Gold)

So if it came down to my vote (which it obviously doesn't), I say go an S2000 But I recall you saying it's too small for you?

Well, the MX5 is quite a good little car, from what I've heard they handle quite well, and can be a lot of fun through the twisties (knew a couple of people with modified ones). A fun driving car!

Or what about an RX7? =D too much?

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast