Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery FF in Nov

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts ( for what they are worth ) at this stage ---

A one off model appealing to "retro" lovers.

Complex and even cluttered array of control dials.

I don't quite understand all the top dials and then a rear command dial as well as the funny looking one on the front.

The prominent "Made in Japan" labelling is the strongest indication that it is made to appeal to brand snobs and will almost certainly guarantee a $2,000.00 ++ price tag to further enhance the exclusivity.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I see nothing revolutionary about this camera. I like having physical controls for basic exposure parameters- but to have them on top of all the usual DSLR controls looks way too overcrowded. The whole teaser ad campaign was giving me a bad feeling and these latest pics have just confirmed it. To hell with innovation and ergonomics- lets make something fashionable (and price it accordingly)
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with andrew..I expect the rear command dial is for Aperture on gelded lenses ..

it was on amazon for $2750 ..but that's since been taken down ..I expect they jumped the gun
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

The prominent "Made in Japan" labelling is the strongest indication that it is made to appeal to brand snobs and will almost certainly guarantee a $2,000.00 ++ price tag to further enhance the exclusivity.
    Quite possibly $US2750 or so

An Amazon web page was uploaded prematurely showing a price of $2750.
    Headline features "16.2 M pixel CMOS sensor" with the same frontal image as those just leaked on NR too.

Errrr... if that Amazon price is not a hoax, then I'm pretty sure that Nikon have totally missed the point with this sort of camera.
    Apart from the dedicated diehard Nikon fans .. I personally can't see why you'd want this over a Sony A7/r

While the camera will almost certainly have a lot of wiggle room for price reduction once the hype settles,(say 6-12months) .. by then Sony should have outsold it by a few million to one!

I've noticed that the ISO dial seems to have 12800 as the top native ISO and then it then increases from H1 to H4 beyond that.
    Basically with a 16.2Mp sensor and those ISO ratings .. it's (almost certainly)a D4 sensor.

1/4000s shutter is a bit of a let down tho .. in that for a supposedly high priced, high end camera body(ie. that apparent $2750 price tag) .. you'd expect a more professional shutter mechanism!

Oh well ... we'll all find out in a few hours.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Oh well ... we'll all find out in a few hours.
    For those who can't wait ---------

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's interesting in the NR images(which look like official marketing spiel material too!) .. two screws holding the rear face of the viewfinder!.

An 'interesting approach' to the construction of the viewfinder prism housing

I reckon the EN-EL14 battery is going to produce the loudest howls of protest tho! Whaddaya reckon .. 100-150 exposures from a charge?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, just got an email telling me to visit http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/digit...%20PHOTOGRAPHY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only interesting feature of this camera is the possibility to have a D4(sensor) at an affordable price point.

Price is going to be stupidly inflated initially(as always), but once stocks of bodies stop moving ... say mid next year, prices tumble ... maybe $2k by then ... seems like an OK deal if viewed in this light.

Always wanted a D4(but could never afford one).

Now the mad rush is on to start gathering many unwanted, unloved, unconvertible non Ai lenses ... before prices start going through the roof too!

EDIT: battery is EN-EL14a, which must be a completely different battery to the EN-EL14.
    Nikon claiming 1400 shots per charge! .. apologies to Nikon for doubting their thinking on this point.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 05-11-2013 at 5:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It still uses the D800 focusing screen though by the looks of it, with no mention of interchangibility- so I dont see how this will be any better for manual focus use.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going against the grain here, I like the camera. Don't like the price.
    But the proof is in use. If the controls feel intuitive to me I'll probably bite.

Was hoping for an Apple 'one more thing' type surprise but that didn't materialize.

It's more cluttered than I'd thought it'd be.
    Love the ISO and exposure compensation dial but there should be an Auto (A) on that dial for your preconfigured Auto ISO preference.
    Shame about the AF point coverage but not a deal breaker for me personally.

No built in wifi is silly IMO. Nothing to do with camera functions, I just think some form of wireless communication needs to be standard on a 2013 electronic product.

I think the SD card n small battery were size considerations. Luckily the number of shots per charge is still good.

Adequate volume reduction compared to previous bodies IMO.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now the "real deal" is out there in public and having seen the specs I am left with the overwhelming impression that the D4 sensor is a big + but the rest of the camera really only reaches the level of a D700 in many areas, exceeds it in a small number of points and falls behind in quite a few more.

Not on my shopping list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just announced....FX....16.2 Mp.....called the Df. I wonder what the price will be like as I`d love one...
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I wonder what the price will be like as I`d love one...
    Why?

More importantly, what is it going to offer that your current body doesn't?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: price. Yea I think I may be a late adopter for this camera. Pending how it handles, I think I'd like to have it one day but not much pressing need. I think it'd go well with a couple of 1.8 primes.

Further thoughts, the lack of better MF aid/options seem like a flawed decision and a missed opportunity. And the eyepoint is at 15mm which is lower than both the D600 and D800. I don't wear glasses but I'd imagine this would be disappointing for those who do.
    I need to find more information about the VF. Only comment so far from Dpreview's first impression is not very informative other than its large and bright like the D800.

In regards to value, well I guess the value proposition is very personal depending on what you prioritise. But I guess for most, the D800/E will represent much better value at a similar price. But I guess for those who want the D4 sensor, the value doesn't seem bad.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Re: price. Yea I think I may be a late adopter for this camera.
    Going by the usual "preorder" US stores at $2746.95 and doing a current exchange rate conversion ( we all know that we all get milked in Aus. ) it works out at $2900.01 in Oz pesos.

It is too simply far too expensive for the limited features on offer and I reckon it needs to drop by 1K in Aus ( pretty bluddy quickly ) in order for it to be on anyone's wish list.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's like the Harley Davidson of cameras?
    If you want something that is super quick & has pin sharp handling and all the latest techno features, look elsewhere.
    But if you want something that feels like a classic & looks cool whether you are using it for real or just a posing wannabe, here it is.

That said, I'd love one to play with....but if I had that sort of coin, I'd grab a D800 I think.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should start a dedicated official thread for this new body and chatter about the features and shortcomings there now.

(I'll start a thread in a sec).

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery FF in Nov

Harvey Norman have the Df at $3599 body only $3950 with 50mm WT#!! Bit pricey me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by glennb; 16-11-2013 at 10:32am.
    Cheers Glenn
    NIKON D610
    FUJIFILM X-T20

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennb View Post
    Harvey Norman have the Df at $3599 body only $3950 with 50mm WT#!! Bit pricey me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.cameras.net.au/
    Think this is a better reflection of initial street pricing: $3095/$3395 for the body only/kit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast