User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: First post, but asking for some help. 60d and 5dc or 5dmkii?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First post, but asking for some help. 60d and 5dc or 5dmkii?

hey guy im new to the forum, but have been playing with photography for a while now.
    ive had a couple entry models over the years and currently have a 60d that im relatively happy with? i dont have a LOT of money invested in glass, as this is purely a hobby for me. as well as photography i dabble in video and make the occasional music video for local bands for free etc haha. just a bit of fun really.
    but ever since using my dads old AE-1 years ago, it just never felt the same, so ive been itching to go FF. my friend just purchased a d800 (budget much larger than mine) and im convinced, FF is the way to go.
    now i can pick up a 5d classic CHEAP nowdays. keep the 60d for video, and slowly invest in some glass, until maybe the 6d or5dmkiii come down in price? or....jump ship and get a d600 down the track after playing with the classic for a while, as the continuous video autofocus sounds great and canon has. either way, im looking at spending about 1000 dollars or so right now. more later on....
    OR i have found a deal for a 5dmkii. used for one holiday trip, and the guy is selling with with a 17-40, sigma 70-200, 580exII, filters, and a couple other cheapo lenses. filters etc etc. for an absolute bargin, thinking i could sell off most of the lenses and keep the 17-40. sell my 60d and my current lenses to get some money back to bring me closer to the 1000 i wanted to spend. and have a FF that does video too.

what would you do? buy the mkii and settle for an old camera for the next 3 years but have it do everything? or get the 5d classic to play with, spend less money. and buy a mkiii in say a years time when funds permit?

so confused but need to decide soon!

any feedback much appreciated. cheers guys (and girls)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard to say. We have no idea what your photographic skills are, but you have chosen to select beginner as your experience level, thus my view is that you need to work on your photography skills first, and you can do that with your current camera. Once you get your skills up, then consider upgrading. No use buying a new camera if you do not have the basics of photography down first.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, well i assumed i'd put beginner as i dont shoot everyday or for a living. but i have a solid understanding of photography. and go out as often as possible. I have been playing with entry level kit for years and years. by no means do i know everything, but i think that the next step for me is FF, so i can start investing in some quality glass to keep for the long term. i have a couple of lenses i can carry over, 50 1.4, a 85. and a 100mm macro. and i'd love to use them as they were originally intended

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. So I just upgraded you to intermediate.

Based on your additional information, and the desire to go FF, I would just keep saving up and keep what you have until you can get a 5DIII at a reasonable price. The original 5D is/was a great camera, but it was introduced in August 2005, so the tech is now several generations, and years, old and really you are not going to get much in the way of a step up from the 60D (introduced in Aug 2010), other than have FF. I would stick to the 60D, save up and try and get a more current model FF camera.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-11-2012 at 3:36pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh, I don't buy into this whole "full frame is the pinnacle" argument.

Spend your money on some good glass now and then save for a full frame body if that is what you want.
    Your lenses will still perform "as they were originally intended" on a 60D - A 100mm macro lens is still a 100mm macro lens and still produces and image size of 1:1 (life size) at minimum focus distance, an 85 f1.8 is still an awesome, fast, portrait lens
    The only difference is that the edges are cropped of the final image size when compared to the same image, taken from the same place, with the lens mounted on a full frame body

If that 5D MkII kit is as cheap as you say, I would definitely go that route rather than grab a 5D.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its done roughly 250 shots. and for the whole set up, as well as a bag, wireless trigger, a few cards and other goodies. its only 2300?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelvandal View Post
    well its done roughly 250 shots. and for the whole set up, as well as a bag, wireless trigger, a few cards and other goodies. its only 2300?
    You sound like you need us to justify why you should spend your money? If you want it, buy it, but be aware that your are buying obsolete technology. If you are happy with that, then it is up to you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelvandal View Post
    What the hell are you waiting for then, and why would you consider a 5D when you could get that kit for $2300, don't forget to haggle and save yourself an extra couple of dollars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi & welcome Pixelvandal
    I''ll throw my two-bobs worth in and ask what type of photography are you most interested in ? This can help to make your decision clearer, are you into portraits or catching great sport action images where the amount of fps are important etc ??
    Also, just to add more confusion Canon have a brand new FF DSLR thats due for release next month, the 6D for around $2100 - body only. This might suit your needs better than the 2nd hand 5D Mk II, especially when I've seen brand new 5D MK II''s advertised locally for $1600 body only, which will probably make you even more confused as to what to do .

As Rick has said above, if the 5D Mk III is really what you want and ticks all your boxes, then sit tight and save because nothing else will really measure up.
    Happy decision making
    I choose to capture my images with bodies
    I share my love using Canon & Sigma
    ** SUE **

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the main 1 thing you think you're going to achieve with FF over the 60D.
    Is it a necessity for FF, or a want? Why look at Nikon if you already have a few decent Canon lenses.

Personally, I'd agree with Rick, save your bickies and get a newer FF when you can afford it, what ever the brand. If you're going to swap, you'd move the Canon gear easy enough. But then you need to re-invest in glass.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're "relatively happy with" the 60D, invest in good lens.
    Kind of agree with MarkChap "meh, I don't buy into this whole "full frame is the pinnacle" argument."
    Why are you "convinced, FF is the way to go." I ask this so I can learn if I'm missing something with my 60D.
    Oh, welcome to Ap. hope you get involved here.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.