Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    You were saying?

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/11/ep-...leaving-nikon/

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/08/dea...dicated-users/

Even the Nikon guy is saying Nikon what the hell are you doing?
    Your wish for the demise of Nikon is noted. But it ain't happening. Move on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Hmmmm....

When the reasons for wanting a faster aperture lens become about how you look to Canon fanbois over the internet!!! ... I think you can safely assume the author is seeking attention for the benefits of furthering their business causes.

What's actually interesting about all this rubbish mirrorless vs DSLR chatter is that individually, Nikon (with their D3xxx series) and Canon(with the Rebel/1300D model) each respectively sell more of those singular models, than the mirrorless manufacturers sell of their entire product lines.

Also! While I have to say I used to enjoy reading Nikon Guys stuff a few years ago, nowadays not so much .. but on his comments re: the f/1.2 lenses possibility I think he doesn't really understand some of the tech aspects of lenses to claim this ...

There's a reason that Nikon's f/1.2 lenses are manual only .. there's no room for unimportant stuff like the contact block!
    Just a stupid little meaningless side issue they have to deal with.

As has already been said, I'm pretty sure that Nikon know the numbers, they generally know what customers want, and even tho they're losing sales, just like everyone else is(maybe more so) .. they still sell enough of what they currently do to warrant continuation of that lineup.
    It's an impossible concept to think they have no idea that camera sales are dropping, and the latest I've read is that this slow down has actually slowed down itself, so the bottom of the trend may have passed or coming up soon.
    Given that, I'm sure they'll be planning a mirrorless version of their most popular model(which is the D3xxx range)
    Again, and strangely enough .. why is it that this model range(and the Canon 1300/Rebel) are still cheaper cameras to buy than most, if not all, mirrorless cameras at that same market level?
    If these mirrorless cameras are supposed to be cheaper to make due to their simpler design, why hasn't it transpired that they are also ACTUALLY cheaper to buy?

I think the main point here is that the manufacturers would seem to have a pretty good grasp on the issue(s) involving camera sales. Just because the non Canikon(and Pentax) manufacturers have all turned to mirrorless that this means the everyone else HAS too as well.

Nikon knows this. A good EVF is obviously much more expensive than an OK OVF system to build.
    A classic example of this is from Canon. Their 1300D sells for more than $200 less which includes a lens for the DSLR, than their cheapest mirrorless camera(body only) sells for. And that's the mirrorless model that doesn't include a viewfinder.
    People want cheap. And to get a cheap camera with a decent viewfinder you need a DSLR!

note that this the the general breadth of the market .. to most of us enthusiast we only tend to see things from our enthusiast mindset(just like Nikon Guy's comments re the f/1.2 Nikon lens idea).
    Yes Nikon could make an f/1.2 AF lens with contact blocks. It's going to be ridiculously expensive even by Nikon's insane pricing standards .. it'll need a complex relay system(apparently). It'll vignette badly, and corner performance may be questionable.
    The main point here is that while it's possible, it's almost certainly not viable, and Nikon were famous for making possible, but not commercially viable lenses for most of their history.
    Take Nikon Guy's comments about that topic with a grain of salt .. and consumerist view to a manufacturer's complex problem.
    Maybe it's time he became Canon Guy, if he doesn't want to be embarrassed that Canon shooters have f/1.2 lenses and he doesn't!
    Never mind that the 1/2 to 1/3 extra aperture doesn't really give you much of an observable difference .. but as long as you don't have to feel embarrassed any longer due to the people that use another brand are taunting you about your lack of options!

I'm thinking that it's time to lay this silly topic to rest. You have your preferred option of gear, be happy with it.
    Nikon sell more than enough of their products to maintain their market share. It'll probably drop a little every now and then, and at other times it'll probably increase again(as it has done in the past).
    When the time is right for Nikon(what about Canon!!!???) they'll do a mirrorless camera as their main selling product, and the world will change ... we'll probably see an end to global warming, and solve the issues currently going on in Asia and the Middle East.

I mean .. seriously! .. just enjoy what you now have, and be glad you don't have to suffer Nikon's incompetence any longer.

As a dedicated Nikon user myself, and mind you not one to defend them either!! .. I have gripes with Nikon. And to my mind they're far more serious gripes:

1/. customer service. The saying is, the customer is always right. I'm convinced that they're losing more customers due to this one single issue than the internet is leading you to believe. (they nearly lost me too!)
    2/. software(post processing)!. they used to have a good software environment. Having changed it all from very usable and mature to the equivalent of finger painting in pre school .. they either need to commit to it, or open it up to all and sundry so that the user has more control.
    3/. products are generally fine. But their firmware updates regime, and software implementations in their hardware also sucks. As with image software above, either commit to it, or outsource it to more competent parties. As for firmware, a more open environment would be nice for the true geek to have access too.

Lets get this thread back on topic now ....
    Well said. I can't disagree on any of what you have said.

I am not interested in f1.2 primes either. f1.4 is more than enough, thank you.

Matt Granger used to be good, but I think he is trying to get hits on his site like Thom Hogan etc.

As you say, Nikon do know the numbers and you can bet your bottom dollar that Nikon are working on EVF and will introduce it when they see it mature enough for Nikon to believe it good enough to slap a Nikon badge on it. But it is *not* the cure all that the mirrorless fanboys make it out to be, it is just another way of accomplishing an image. The very fact that their is so much *heated* debate and the fact that DSLR's still outsell mirrorless by a huge margin just proves that OVF users are not going away any time soon. So, the mirrorless fanboys and extremists need to just chill out and accept that there are people that like OVF's over EVF's at their present state of play. These two systems can and should happily co-exist, it is not a case of one must win out over the other - that is just a silly desire and quite childish.
    Last edited by Lance B; 13-05-2017 at 11:32am.