Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay is just crazy....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay is just crazy....

Is it just me or does anyone else find eBay absolutely crazy in terms of what 2nd hand items sell for at times?

I've been keeping an eye of a few things for quiet a while to try and find a "bargin" but everytime an auction ends it ends up so close to the brand new price for a grey import why would you bother buying it second hand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens all the time. I've almost given up on any 2nd hand gear on eBay now. Ok for a better price than retail on new gear though. I like Gumtree as you can negotiate with the seller for a better price. Bought 3 lenses off there now. Saying that, not sure how long this will be possible as it is now owned by eBay.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, the whole e$ay marketing exercise has been a hug mind conditioning exercise to make sure that the general public automatically associates e$ay and cheap as the same thing.

Smart people will realise that they can look elsewhere for bargains at greater savings than that site offers and in fact can do better deals with e$ay sellers when they find out how to buy from them "off site" as naturally the seller doesn't incur fees from the sale.

The same thing can be said for the terms pay$al and safety, as the same if not better guarantees exist through alternate forms of payment.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, I used to pick up some mf Nikkor lenses for great prices a few years back. Not anymore. I haven't tried gumtree, is it any good?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kneekon View Post
    I haven't tried gumtree, is it any good?
    Owned by e$ay, full of scammers and a few genuine adds. Deal with anyone that advertises there on a face to face basis only. I sold a car through gumtree this year, obviously it was a genuine sale and with an item like that the buyers naturally wanted to drive it before handing over cash so it worked for them and I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have found that prices are not always that good. Just this weekend I pulled out of a bid on a flash because it was getting higher than it was worth... Find it a little funny sometimes that people must bid without checking retail price. Saw a flash go for the cost of retail when postage is added in! Problem is that on some second hand stuff too that it is easy to get caught up in the need to "win", obviously other people aren't good at setting an upper limit and keeping it!
    Choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont really use Ebay to buy lenses and cameras anymore, since a lot of ppl get too worked up to win something and it skyrockets the price at the end. But for 2nd hand lighting equipment, or brand new products in lighting accessories, I prefer Ebay over anything else. It really pays to do your research to know if this is a bargain or reasonable, or simply ridiculous pricing by the seller, or stupidity on one's behalf.

Gumtree is great, buy a lot of stuff on there for props, and Lego

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It just goes to show how much the gambling and 'have to win' mentality has taken over so many people's lives. My mum recently put her old slow cooker up on E-Bay, cause she purchased a new one.

Two people got in a bidding war on it. They ended up bidding it up to over $160.00, when you can buy the same one, brand new for just under $100.00 at Harvey Norman. Win for my mum.

But I agree, people get so wrapped up in winning, they forget to consider what they are doing. Bit like the pokies.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the major factor for people paying near grey prices for lenses is some sort of fear of imported lenses. Ive seen alot of used lenses sell for the same as new grey lenses, however most are priced below $1k. It is hard to avoid paying the extra taxes on expensive lenses from HK and you end up paying more.

For me, I bought a second hand 135L for $800 when you could get a new one from HK for $920. Saved $120, which is not too shabby. Ive also bought alot of more expensive lenses/bodies on ebay that are a much bigger saving from the new price.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought three lenses (all < $600) on ebay. All three were bought with the buy-it-now option. From my experience with bidding, I alway get outbid and it wastes too much of my time. I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    I think the major factor for people paying near grey prices for lenses is some sort of fear of imported lenses. Ive seen alot of used lenses sell for the same as new grey lenses, however most are priced below $1k. It is hard to avoid paying the extra taxes on expensive lenses from HK and you end up paying more.

For me, I bought a second hand 135L for $800 when you could get a new one from HK for $920. Saved $120, which is not too shabby. Ive also bought alot of more expensive lenses/bodies on ebay that are a much bigger saving from the new price.

I also remembered when I was looking at a 135L, grey import was around $920 average inc delivery on ebay, and there was some chap on cameramarket trying to sell one 2nd hand for $1300......hmmmm!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, something is worth what some people are prepared to pay. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree I have been watching on ebay and having a bid here and there on lenses etc but the prices seem to end up too close to a new prices .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always check ebay for good prices on lenses but always find they're at the same price if not more expensive than on gum tree, and I'd certainly like to inspect something I'm paying that much money for in person. eBay still does have it place, buying cheap things like remote triggers, replacement lens/body caps etc.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 years back it was great. Nowdays due to convenience and the market reach so many people including myself sell our wares on eBay, and unless it is high end goods, the seller usually does well for popular items, but high end goods the seller fees kill you. There are some bargains to be had, mostly with "buy now" option, as anything popular that runs the auction distance will have people sit and wait for the last minute or use a bid sniper like I do to get it in the final seconds.
    I like everyone else am surprised how much some things fetch compared to new items..

I do buy almost all my camera gear from the USA though, and with the AUD riding so high for so long it has really made it worthwhile, even after shipping on most all of my gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a seller it's great. I will be putting up an Olympus with Screw mount 50 1.4 and expect to make a few $$ on it.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can still get bargains on fleabay.... you just have to look harder tan you used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are bargins out there, just let the fools pay top dollar over used goods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same goes with second hand 4wd accessories. I've seen hand-winches go for more than they cost new. I put that down originally to people in the outback buying it because they can't walk into a shop to get it, but it's definitely not the case now. It happens too often.
    So much so that I've been tempted at times to buy up stocks of the most commonly oversold items, then ebay them for more than I paid for them.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree some stuff are priced pretty crazily on ebay. There is a reason why i only "snipe" items, i throw in my maximum absolute bid in the last 5 seconds of the listing ending and usually win it at a good price. Obviously if the price is over what i'm willing to pay then i'll pass. Recently i bought a elcheapo watch, i was bidding on an item for $13 (starting bid) delivered with 2 days left on the clock and wouldn't you know it, a bidding war between 2 guys/girls entailed and it got sold at $20 where there are other sellers selling it for $15 delivered. Fortunately after the biding war was over, a seller came in to undercut the prices. Bought it at $12 in the end. WIN!
    Last edited by KeeFy; 18-06-2012 at 9:59pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast