User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Memory cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory cards

Up until now i actually never realised how important a memory card is especially if you would like to video footage with your camera

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umm. What are you asking/wanting as replies here? It is fairly obvious memory cards are important cause without one you are not going to be able to store your photos/video when you press the shutter button.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-10-2010 at 8:50am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast quality cards are important for best performance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan to use a lot of video on your DSLR, it would be good to get the fastest card available.
    When set on the highest resolution video recording mode, most DSLRs can only record up to a few minutes of clips, then it will cut out because the buffer has been reached. The camera instruction manual will specify how many minutes the maximun clip would be.
    Faster capacity cards (as different from higher capacity cards) are able to maintain capture rate. Slower capacity cards will cut out the video long before the maximum clip length is reached.
    I would recommend at least 30 MBS for video use, and 60 MBS would be good. Newer cards now show this transfer rate on their labels.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sandiask would be the way to go for brands :P sandisk ultra :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like black ones
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd add a word of caution with the sandisk cards, that there was a name change to thier range in late 2009 early 2010, The Extreme III became the Ultra, Ok on CF cards but the SDHC cards appeared to go down slightly in mb/sec rates offered.
    Also regardless of brand there is no point in buying any card rated higher than the maximum internal file transfer rate. Yes, I know it may down load from the camera to the pc faster but its about the best bang for buck. More cards at the maximum camera rate wins for me.
    I use current range Ultras, previous range Extreme iii Cf cards and SDHC and Transcend Class 6 SDHC
    regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure? Pretty damn 100% sure they went from Extreme III to simply 'Extreme', the same as with the CF cards. I order them into work all the time, the Ultra cards are a separate line

Quote Originally Posted by carrg1954 View Post
    I'd add a word of caution with the sandisk cards, that there was a name change to thier range in late 2009 early 2010, The Extreme III became the Ultra, Ok on CF cards but the SDHC cards appeared to go down slightly in mb/sec rates offered.
    Also regardless of brand there is no point in buying any card rated higher than the maximum internal file transfer rate. Yes, I know it may down load from the camera to the pc faster but its about the best bang for buck. More cards at the maximum camera rate wins for me.
    I use current range Ultras, previous range Extreme iii Cf cards and SDHC and Transcend Class 6 SDHC
    regards
    Canon stuff 5Dmk1 w/ 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 5Dmk1 w/70-200f2.8L, 100mm f2.8 macro, 50mm f1.4, 580exII
    Alienbees B800, Lumopro 160, Manfrotto 155XPROB w/ 498RC2, Lowepro ProRunner X450AW
    Phew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think he's right the new ultras are the old extremes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check out my ultras at work, however I can still order in the Extreme SDHC cards which are 60mb/s and I can still order in the Ultras as a separate, cheaper item.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Yeah, I think he's right the new ultras are the old extremes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started a new thread on CF Cards...should have looked more closely, my apologies. Most of what i have read here answers a lot of my question. But I haven't heard the brand name Wintec Filemate mentioned, these guys do a 32g 600X card for $109 on Ebay. I think I know the answer to my question before I ask it. Does anyone know of this brand and is it a case of buyer beware? That is an incredibly low price.

Mike
    Canon 7d, Canon 400d, 24-105mm L, Sigma 10 - 20mm, Canon 50mm 1.4 prime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick to Sandisk, why take the risk