Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post

I do not use the 85L for wedding work as the ultra slow focusing means missed shots at crucial moments are inevitable, and manual focus at f1.2 is a hit and miss too
    Whereas I have used the 85L to great effect at weddings, but usually for the posed shots after the ceremony. During the ceremony the 70-200/2.8L IS is my weapon of choice.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    Whereas I have used the 85L to great effect at weddings, but usually for the posed shots after the ceremony. During the ceremony the 70-200/2.8L IS is my weapon of choice.
    yeah that might work for u but not good enough for me, posed shots right after ceremony might last about 30 mins max, and I didnt see the use of it for that either since I dont shoot groups at f1.2 its a waste, other lenses like my 70-200 L, or 24-70 for example will do the job better. But it is exceptional for creative shots or for couple/individual shots on location - when time is not of the essence.

I had a quick test of the new Sigma 85 f1.4 yesterday, and hands down I am willing to say it is a lot better than the Canon 85 L, much faster and accurate focusing and lock, lighter and smaller which is great, and no diff in IQ. I dare say this will be a weapon for wedding photographers soon once ppl see the benefits it has over the Canon 85 L - and inspires more confidence in shooters in dark and low light environments. I will possibly buy one next month when I am in HK for shoots.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    yeah that might work for u but not good enough for me, posed shots right after ceremony might last about 30 mins max, and I didnt see the use of it for that either since I dont shoot groups at f1.2 its a waste, other lenses like my 70-200 L, or 24-70 for example will do the job better. But it is exceptional for creative shots or for couple/individual shots on location - when time is not of the essence.
    Focus isn't so slow that you can't use it in those circumstances. Post wedding shots for me are usually 30mins to 1hr depending on the couple.

I have noticed that the focus speed and accuracy is greatly improved on a 1 series body. The 5D struggles on the outer focus points so a different technique is required.