User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  20

Thread: jpeg file sizes - I can't seem to make them small enough!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trev. What do you mean? Compressing what? a jpeg that's 20-30MB, or a RAW that starts at about that size?
    If the first, I'd agree that it would be hard to do, but if a raw (say even 40-45MB, such as I usually get and which
    produces a best output jpeg of 14MB) is then reduced to 1200 pixels max on a side and it is a 3:2, then it is
    doable with not too destructive compression. I have done this often enough.
    (Some time since the last sentence.)

From a particular raw file just now:
    Raw file size: 45.5 MB
    Full size jpeg: 14.1 MB
    1200x800 jpeg: 382 KB (saved at quality 9 in P'shop.

Whether this results in an optimally detailed file is another thing.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Trev. What do you mean? Compressing what? a jpeg that's 20-30MB, or a RAW that starts at about that size?
    If the first, I'd agree that it would be hard to do, but if a raw (say even 40-45MB, such as I usually get and which
    produces a best output jpeg of 14MB) is then reduced to 1200 pixels max on a side and it is a 3:2, then it is
    doable with not too destructive compression. I have done this often enough.
    (Some time since the last sentence.)

From a particular raw file just now:
    Raw file size: 45.5 MB
    Full size jpeg: 14.1 MB
    1200x800 jpeg: 382 KB (saved at quality 9 in P'shop.

Whether this results in an optimally detailed file is another thing.
    am I'm pretty sure that I'm not doing it the right way (uploading images to AP) and I'd love to know how to upload an image that has a reasonable amount of quality but what I meant was I have tried to reduce an image of around 24mb jpeg down to 1200 pixels max side and it was hardly viewable, I have done it in the past with smaller jpeg images with good success so was just under the impression that if the jpeg was much larger it would be more difficult to reduce its size without too much destruction. I might check out what bobt suggested and see if that works for large jpegs. Sorry Lance I didn't mean to push in on your thread.
    Every image is a learning experience that slows down time and captures the small details we often miss.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevspics View Post
    ..... but what I meant was I have tried to reduce an image of around 24mb jpeg down to 1200 pixels max side and it was hardly viewable, ......
    Try doing it in stages. 24 to 18 to 12 to 6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure it is not just the zoom setting.
    If your zoom setting in PS is at say 15%, which it may well be, to fit a large file on screen, when you resize the zoom amount stays the same.
    So the view you get on the screen is just a very small image in the middle of the screen.
    Adjust your zoom level back to 100% and you will have a larger view on screen

Quote Originally Posted by Trevspics View Post
    am I'm pretty sure that I'm not doing it the right way (uploading images to AP) and I'd love to know how to upload an image that has a reasonable amount of quality but what I meant was I have tried to reduce an image of around 24mb jpeg down to 1200 pixels max side and it was hardly viewable, I have done it in the past with smaller jpeg images with good success so was just under the impression that if the jpeg was much larger it would be more difficult to reduce its size without too much destruction. I might check out what bobt suggested and see if that works for large jpegs. Sorry Lance I didn't mean to push in on your thread.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark