Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone has experience on Tilt-Shift L lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone has experience on Tilt-Shift L lens

Planning on my next toy......

(Since I have promised my wife no new lenses in 2011, I will hold off for now, but doesn't mean I cannot do 4 months worth of research )

Would you go for the 17mm version? or the 24mm version?

I will use it mainly for landscape, and amount of details recorded and sharpness would be my first priority. I have read both reviews but neither can give me a definite answer.

Also want to check is it true that auto focus would be completely out of story?

Apart from Architectural and Landscape, what other subject would you use your Tilt Shift lens?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not convinced that they are all that useful for landscape photography, Andy. Well, not my sort of landscape work, which is essentially documentary. For a fine art 'scaper, I think they might be the very thing - hey, the really serious fine art guys all use view cameras, and a view camera is just another word for the ultimate tilt-shift lens.

Autofocus really isn't relevant to tilt-shift. Sure, you can use the focus confirmation lights, but to what purpose? Which part of the image do you want it to concentrate on anyway?

Nope. Tilt-shift landscaping is all about spending however long it takes to set your image up exactly how you want it - count on 5-10 minutes for a quickie - and then waiting for the perfect light. I imagine with enough practice it gets easier.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andylo View Post
    Would you go for the 17mm version? or the 24mm version?
    I'd choose the 17mm f/4 version. I prefer ultra-wide lenses for 'scapes.

I will use it mainly for landscape, and amount of details recorded and sharpness would be my first priority. I have read both reviews but neither can give me a definite answer.
    The 17/4L is quite sharp, but I have seen some softness towards the edges in my experience with one (not mine).

Still, it an extremely wide lens, so some edge softness is to be expected.

Have you read The Digital Picture's review of it?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Also want to check is it true that auto focus would be completely out of story?
    Correct. Canon's TS-E lenses are manual focus lenses only.

Apart from Architectural and Landscape, what other subject would you use your Tilt Shift lens?
    Architecture is my main application for (and interest in) such a lens, but you can also create that 'fake tilt/shift miniature effect' if you dig that sort of thing. ;-)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tanin and Xenedis.

Usually I would pre-plan my Landscape shot, so I wouldn't mind to prepare for 5-10 mins for a quickie

The 'fake tilt/shift miniature effect' is not yet of my favorite, but never say never - I guess.

And the review of "the-digital-picture" is one of those I have read. He done the 24mm 1st, then do the 17mm... but copied 1/3 of the content from 24mm's review.

I am also trying to find a definite comparison between sharpness and details recorded. It SEEMS 24mm is sharper corner to corner (than the 17) but I am still yet to find article with direct comparison.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree with Tony re the use of a T/S lens for landscapes. Someone I know uses one, but for what I do (mostly sescapes in natural environments), I don't tink I would use such a lens.

The application for which I want one is cityscapes and architecture. Sure, for many of my images (like this and http://www.xenedis.net/viewimage.php?i=5371653568), my verticals are straight because I've kept my 16mm lens's axis parallel to the ground. Tilt it up or down and you see distorted verticals.

As for the minature effect, I'm not a fan of that either, whether it's real or faked. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pro's and Con's of doing the fake method as opposed to buying the lens outright?

I was always under the impression that tilt shifts were like fisheyes, in that they're a bit of a one trick pony.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect more people want a tilt/shift lens for perspective correction and extremely deep depth of field (picture a foreground flower amongst a field of them, with everything in the background also in focus) rather than the miniature effect.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heehee... I am just after the Lust... but gotta find a reason to justify that... you know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    110 pages of review and photos from 17mm

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=701861

And 18 pages for the 24mm

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=150307

Cheers Dave
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should of added to previous post, some awesome landscape shots from those lens's on those links.

some good ones from the 17mm on this page

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...01861&page=106

Since I discovered that site, I have spent way too much time researching lens's I might "need" in the futre

The main site that lists all lens's

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=141406

Cheers
    Last edited by davearnold; 09-08-2011 at 4:32pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    I was always under the impression that tilt shifts were like fisheyes, in that they're a bit of a one trick pony.
    Good god no! Anything you can do with a standard lens, you can also do with a tilt-shift. Anything. But you can do a lot more than that as well - straighten out perspective, achieve massive depth of field impossible with a normal lens, take realistic pictures from impossible angles (using the magic of the shift). But it takes a lot of time and skill. It's not for everyone.

PS: a fisheye is only a one trick pony if the photographer is incompetent to use it. Used properly, a fisheye is very versatile indeed. But that is a topic for another thread.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gezz those pics..... it knocks out my 17-40L instantly on sharpness! (re the 17mm)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the idea that t/s lenses are one trick ponies is so off the mark it doesn't even matter.

T/S lenses give you technical control that you don't have with standard lenses (primes or zooms). It's very much like walking around with a view camera around your neck, but much lighter!

The image below is typical of the control you have of the focal plane with a t/s lens (or t/s bellows in this case, the lens was an enlarging lens). The lens was shot wide open (f5.6) and the focal plane adjusted to be exactly where I wanted it to be. There is in fact quite a lot of tilt in this image and it is purely a technical control, not a party trick, and certainly not some thing you can do in Photoshop afterwards.

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 09-08-2011 at 6:31pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photo jj. I am so going to get 1 of this

(Do you have the 17mm, or the 24mm?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without looking, I bet that is the 90mm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've just plunged for the TSE 17mm, so give me a month or two and I'll give you some feedback...

Why did I buy the TSE 17mm?

- wanted a full frame ultrawide lens that was sharp corner to corner. Had a go with an EF14mm but found it disappointingly soft at the corners and wavy distortion. The 17-40 is great value for money, but soft at the edges on a full frame. Lots of people said the 16-35 is good and that came the closest to being bought... but given I'm going to use the ultra-wide lens at its widest setting only, all the reviews and tests were pointing towards the TSE 17mm being the sharpest Canon ultrawide you can buy...

- when shifted sideways, the 17mm effectively becomes 12mm which is VERY wide on a full frame (or 10mm? I've read both and not yet had a chance to try myself)

- shift facility allows great perspective control for architecture photography, which I greatly enjoy (the EF14mm and 16-35mm both show distortion)

- tilt facility allows great depth of field control for capturing both near and far objects in focus at a relatively wide aperture (say f/8 giving depth of field equivalent to f/22, but with no diffaction downside), which is very useful for landscapes

Will I use the tilt facility to creature miniature tricks? Doubt it. Certainly wasn't a factor in my purchase.
    Last edited by Tricky; 09-08-2011 at 10:24pm.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photo jj. I am so going to get 1 of this

(Do you have the 17mm, or the 24mm?)
    Thanks. I don't have any of the Canon t/s lenses. I use various other 't/s lenses' using a view camera or a t/s bellows for close up and a t/s adapter with medium format lenses for general use where my widest lens is a 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Without looking, I bet that is the 90mm.
    Schneider Componon-S 135/5.6 (enlarging lens) on a Nikon PB-4 bellows (bellows with tilt and shift movements) on a 5d2. It's an excellent setup for 100-150mm lenses where you can still have infinity focus, not just macro.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all i'll say is,
    I've had my 17mm since it came out and it's my favourite lens out of all mine.
    i'm sure this doesn't help
    Canon 5D MKII, 17-40mm f/4L, 24-105mm f/4L, 17mm TS-E f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L
    135mm f/2L.
    Alien bee lights, Gitzo tripods, Adobe CS5

I find the single most valuable tool on my computer is my recycle bin.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha... so 17mm > 24mm for me so far

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    Should of added to previous post, some awesome landscape shots from those lens's on those links.

some good ones from the 17mm on this page

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...01861&page=106

Since I discovered that site, I have spent way too much time researching lens's I might "need" in the futre

The main site that lists all lens's

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=141406

Cheers
    Wow, that's one awesome thread on the TSE-17mm - I'm only on page 31 out of 110 and there's some epic pictures on there...

Thanks for posting the link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast