User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Bag Recommendation, Please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Bag Recommendation, Please!

I'm hoping to find a bag that will hold the following gear:

• Canon 5D MkII with 24-105 attached
    • Canon 7D with 100-400 attached
    • Flash
    • Filters/bits and pieces
    • Netbook/iPad
    • Compartment for keys, phone, purse, snacks, etc.

I'd like to have quick access to the cameras as the only time I have to take photos during winter is driving to/from work as it's too dark before and after, plus I'd like to be able to avoid having to change/put on lenses at horse events where there's a lot of dust.

I've had a look on Cambags, but I'm still not sure if there's anything there that will work. Does anyone know of or use a bag that might be suitable? I don't mind whether it's a backpack, sling, shoulder bag, whatever - I'd really appreciate any recommendations, please. Thanks!
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 and I would think it would hold all of that. It is a shoulder bag with a 17in Laptop pocket (has a moveable divider to make this smaller) as well as a front flappy pocket that can hold another couple of bare bodies or flashes etc. Can also get a backpack harness for it to take the weight off one shoulder on long days shooting.

In mine I carry a 50D with 24-60, 70-200, 11-18 lenses, a small case with filters, a flash, and various accessories like torches, remote release, camera strap, rain cover etc in the main compartment. I also throw in the poser cable and mouse for my laptop when I need to carry it as well, although they would normally fit in the laptop compartment if you are using a 15in or smaller lappy.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at either of these, you've got a bit of weight there and these will carry it well. You can also customise your load depending on what you want to do.

http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/loka

http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa

http://dancarrphotography.com/blog/2...-review-index/

If you want a shoulder style bag, look at Crumpler. Great bags! Not a fan of Crumpler back packs though, not very well designed to carry a load. But I'll warn you carrying 2 bodys + lenses and a laptop will be hard with a shoudler style bag.
    Last edited by mikec; 01-07-2011 at 1:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a highly customisable, well made, really light, robust and well though out bag with room to grow, then the Gura Gear Kiboko is a real winner.

It will swallow all my lenses including my 400/2.8VR with D3/D700 attached. Will fit in overhead lockers on Q400/Dash8(regional turboprops) and larger aircraft.

The downside, it costs $400 and is hard to get hold of as Andy is out of stock right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home bag (messenger/shoulder style) and they come in various sizes, so you'd find one to suit the combo of gear you listed above. I sling it diagonally across my shoulder for quick access when I'm out shooting sports or events. With any shoulder/sling bag you'll have to watch the weight though, especially if you will be carrying it for extended periods. A backpack helps you carry larger loads, but doesn't provide easy access. You might have to strike a bit of a compromise. Or do what I do - have four different bags and choose the most appropriate one for the day!

Just an idea - once you have a couple of bags in mind, do a quick search on Flickr. People often post photos of their gear bags which can give you a idea of how much kit you can squeeze in.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    I have a Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 and I would think it would hold all of that..
    Thanks, Terry - this sure looks as though it would suit what I need it for.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Have a look at either of these, you've got a bit of weight there and these will carry it well. You can also customise your load depending on what you want to do.

If you want a shoulder style bag, look at Crumpler. Great bags! Not a fan of Crumpler back packs though, not very well designed to carry a load. But I'll warn you carrying 2 bodys + lenses and a laptop will be hard with a shoudler style bag.
    Thanks for the links, Mike. I have looked at those bags before, but it's hard to tell how my gear would fit in them just from the pictures on the site. I might have another look at the Crumpler bags, though. I don't have a problem with the weight of the gear, and I wouldn't be using this bag for lugging stuff long distances - it's more for when I'm out in the car or at an event and I'd be picking it up and putting it down a lot and getting gear out of it a lot. For other times when I have to walk a fair way and when I have plenty of time to get myself organised I take the Lowepro Flipside 400 or the Fastpack 250 (if I just want to take one camera, ie. birding).

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    If you want a highly customisable, well made, really light, robust and well though out bag with room to grow, then the Gura Gear Kiboko is a real winner.

It will swallow all my lenses including my 400/2.8VR with D3/D700 attached. Will fit in overhead lockers on Q400/Dash8(regional turboprops) and larger aircraft.

The downside, it costs $400 and is hard to get hold of as Andy is out of stock right now.
    It does look good, Wayne - thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I like my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home bag (messenger/shoulder style) and they come in various sizes, so you'd find one to suit the combo of gear you listed above. I sling it diagonally across my shoulder for quick access when I'm out shooting sports or events. With any shoulder/sling bag you'll have to watch the weight though, especially if you will be carrying it for extended periods. A backpack helps you carry larger loads, but doesn't provide easy access. You might have to strike a bit of a compromise. Or do what I do - have four different bags and choose the most appropriate one for the day!

Just an idea - once you have a couple of bags in mind, do a quick search on Flickr. People often post photos of their gear bags which can give you a idea of how much kit you can squeeze in.
    Thanks, Jules! Will definitely have another look at the Crumpler range, and I didn't think to have a look on Flickr ... d'oh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me highjack the thread a little ...

Anyone tried using the Thinktank Lens Changer 2 or 3? I'm looking at it as a complement to my Crumpler 7MDH, when I don't want to lug around most of my gear but still want a day bag with an extra lens or a flash, and maybe some rolls of film if I'm rolling with my film body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nightbringer, haven't used the lens changer but I just bought a Domke F-5XC, it holds my 5D II with 16-35 f/2.8 attached plus a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. It'd probably take a flash and medium lens if the 70-200 wasn't in there. I also have a 7MDH and wanted something smaller for when I go over seas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend the think tank Urban Disguise very good bag i recently took it away with me to uk was awesome.
    Last edited by para; 07-07-2011 at 9:43am.
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    I can recommend the think tank Urban Disguise very good bag i recently took it away with me to uk was awesome.
    Thanks, Para. I'm leaning towards the Urban Disguise 70 as it will definitely hold both cameras with lenses attached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kata 3N1-30 which you can put cams on either side for easy access when u turn it to a sling.
    But seriously u'll break ur back with all that stuff.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    I have a Kata 3N1-30 which you can put cams on either side for easy access when u turn it to a sling.
    But seriously u'll break ur back with all that stuff.
    Fortunately I'm pretty strong, and I've been coping OK with carrying it all around in a Lowepro Flipside 400 ... it's just that I don't like it much. I've decided on the Urban Disguise 70 for use when I'm at shows and out and about, but I'm going back to the US for 6-8 weeks next year and will have to see if I can find a backpack that suits me better for that trip. Last year I only had one camera and lens so my Fastpack 250 was great for that (it's still my favourite bag when I go birding), but it's obviously going to be too small now to carry all the gear I want to take with me. The Thinktank Airport Acceleration V2.0 looks good ... hmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case you should buy in the US, more choice, less cost.
    They even deliver free to wherever ur staying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kata 3N1-20. I've found it to be well constructed. A little bit smaller than the 30, but still fits plenty. Fits on aircraft and configurable straps allow it to be used as a backpack or sling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today the wife and kids got me a lowepro pro runner 450, what a great bag, a big step up from my flipside 400
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ended up getting the Think Tank Urban Disguise 70, and it's a great bag! We had our first outing together on Sunday and I'm pleased to say everything worked very well. It held all the gear listed above (minus the netbook/iPad which I didn't need to have with me) and I had no trouble accessing things when I needed them without having to drop the bag on the ground.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    Today the wife and kids got me a lowepro pro runner 450, what a great bag, a big step up from my flipside 400
    Hi everyone.....After looking up this product that Jayde posted I am taken by the Lowepro gear and i have narrowed it down to 2. So I'm after some advice/update from users of the Lowepro gear or those in the know generally.

I've also been reading this thread and some of the others on camera bags here
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ect-camera-bag
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...bag-do-you-use

My situation and requirements -
    We are off to Northern Italy, Bellagio to be precise, for 3 weeks in Feb/Mar (yes we know it will be cold that's the point). We are basing ourselves in an apartment and figuring out what we want to do each day as it comes and I will have the following which i would like to comfortably take with me when we travel about.
    * Canon SLR & lenses (the one in my sig)
    * Panasonic HDC-TM900 HD Vid cam (quite compact)
    * Small Kodak PAS
    * iPad
    and of course some personal items like passports etc. plus i want one bag to take all this as carry on luggage so include all my peripherals like chargers and cables for the getting there and back part of the journey.

so I've narrowed it down to these 2 and as mentioned want some advice or opinions.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...50,2087,14.htm

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...%20AW,2184.htm

thanks all
    "I really need to spend more time experimenting with photography."
    Canon EOS 1000D with lens kit | EFS 18-55mm | EF 75-300mm |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not planning on adding a heap more gear to your arsenal in the near future, I'd go the fastpack 350, it would definitely more comfortable to carry around on holiday's, and will fit all your gear with ease, as the 450 is a bit of a beast, that's why I bought a slingshot 300, seems very similar to the fastpack, but has a over the shoulder sling, but can also be set up to be carried like a backpack, and the slingshot doesn't have access for a laptop/ipad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    If you're not planning on adding a heap more gear to your arsenal in the near future, I'd go the fastpack 350, it would definitely more comfortable to carry around on holiday's, and will fit all your gear with ease, as the 450 is a bit of a beast, that's why I bought a slingshot 300, seems very similar to the fastpack, but has a over the shoulder sling, but can also be set up to be carried like a backpack, and the slingshot doesn't have access for a laptop/ipad.
    thanks for the update. there won't be any more gear short term.

i was a bit worried about waterproofing with the non AW versions. We won't be hiking as such, way to old and unfit for that, so there wouldn't be long term exposure in rain, snow, sleet.

but it is winter and there will be snow and maybe rains. however in reality the amount of time that the pack would be exposed to this would be very minimal. i guess times like moving between buildings and car/taxi, things like that.

so with this in mind do you think the standard versions are ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sling shot 350AW, weather cover, laptop compartment, and the sling style let's you access your gear quickly, and also let's you carry the bag at the front so you can use it as a platform to rest your elbows on, or keep it safer when in crowded and unsure situations, might be worth looking into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast