Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: loss of quality post processing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont use Lighroom in my workflow - Bridge and Photoshop do me - but making adjustments to a RAW image doesnt involve any loss of quality. It should improve it - after sharpening and noise reduction it should look much better. If and when you change the image format you may lose quality - JPEGs compression involves discarding data to make the file smaller, TIFF is a loss-less image format. So if you were to export JPEGs to your HDR/Pano program, and then save the result as a JPEG there will be a further loss of quality. Whether or not the loss is acceptable would be dependent upon the final usage of the image - printed out at small size you might not notice it - a poster sized print on a glossy paper would probably look awful!

I cant quantify how much quality you will lose from HDR and Pano programs, but "garbage in, garbage out" applies in this situation. Exporting the images to the HDR/Pano program using the image format that contains the most data will give the best result possible. If you can export RAW images after applying Camera Raw adjustments, then do it. If you cant, try images in the TIFF format. JPEG should be your last port of call.
    Canon 5D Mk II - gripped, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm Macro f2.8L, 70-200mm IS II f2.8L, Gitzo CF tripod and Gitzo CF monopod, Acratech GP Ballhead, Manfrotto Video Fluid Head, Intervalometer, and lots of other stuff!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markjaffa View Post
    I dont use Lighroom in my workflow - Bridge and Photoshop do me - but making adjustments to a RAW image doesnt involve any loss of quality. It should improve it - after sharpening and noise reduction it should look much better. If and when you change the image format you may lose quality - JPEGs compression involves discarding data to make the file smaller, TIFF is a loss-less image format. So if you were to export JPEGs to your HDR/Pano program, and then save the result as a JPEG there will be a further loss of quality. Whether or not the loss is acceptable would be dependent upon the final usage of the image - printed out at small size you might not notice it - a poster sized print on a glossy paper would probably look awful!

I cant quantify how much quality you will lose from HDR and Pano programs, but "garbage in, garbage out" applies in this situation. Exporting the images to the HDR/Pano program using the image format that contains the most data will give the best result possible. If you can export RAW images after applying Camera Raw adjustments, then do it. If you cant, try images in the TIFF format. JPEG should be your last port of call.
    - but making adjustments to a RAW image doesnt involve any loss of quality. It should improve it -
    Mark, I'm not disagreeing with the your reply (I am in general agreement with nearly all you have said) except to raise an issue with the last line pasted above.

I would put it as: "...does not involve any change in quality..." and that what you can improve on the OUTPUT from that RAW file, that is, a different file altogether, be it jpeg, tiff...
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I would put it as: "...does not involve any change in quality..." and that what you can improve on the OUTPUT from that RAW file, that is, a different file altogether, be it jpeg, tiff...
    Am.
    Good point Am. I shouldnt answer posts so late at night! The RAW image would often need to be saved in another format to enable its end use - emailing to clients, web display, outsourcing of printing, etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i just started exporting tiff and they are 30mb more than jpeg that seems to be a good sign