User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Has anyone ever heard of Col Ryan Photographics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Has anyone ever heard of Col Ryan Photographics?

I wonder if anyone with a long memory has any knowledge of a photographic company called "Col Ryan Photographics" operating in the Brisbane area in the mid 1970's.
    I am desperately trying to track down and replace some wedding photos taken by this company but so far I've had no luck locating them.
    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U know its along shot but could you try using a abn search or talk to other well known long time photographers in the area? Or even try news papers? Try a add or something if your desperate
    Last edited by BehindTheCamrea; 20-02-2011 at 10:25pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for your suggestions.
    I hadn't considered ABN, so I checked it after your suggestion but it seems the ABN register does not give contact details of businesses, just postcode and state.

After 35 years I suspect this business may be long extinct, but perhaps talking to other well established photographers might be the best bet. I have no idea how long photographers keep negatives anyway. Probably they have been thrown away long ago. I'll keep trying, as you never know what might turn up. Thanks again.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, mystery solved. I've located a contact, the company has a minor name change and is in Ipswich now.
    No idea if they still have the negs, but at least I can contact them.
    Thanks for your suggestions BehindtheCamera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you tell me what Col Rayn has changed his name to? Did you find out if they are still operating?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone ever heard of Col Ryan Photographics?

Sorry Tanya, I have lost the details of the info I chased up on this as it was 10 months ago and did not end happily.

I remember I contacted other unrelated photographic companies in Ipswich to see if they had heard of them.
    Eventually I tracked down someone who had, they gave me a name of someone who might know something.
    After a lot of phone calls I discovered the company had changed hands and then was bought out by another company who were totally unrelated.
    From them I discovered the negatives had been dumped in 1986 so there was no chance of me getting access to them.

I hope you are not having similar problems, but if so, I'm sorry to tell you they are gone for good.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Ap Tanya. Hope you hang around.
    Pity about the end result Avalon.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Sorry Tanya, I have lost the details of the info I chased up on this as it was 10 months ago and did not end happily.

I remember I contacted other unrelated photographic companies in Ipswich to see if they had heard of them.
    Eventually I tracked down someone who had, they gave me a name of someone who might know something.
    After a lot of phone calls I discovered the company had changed hands and then was bought out by another company who were totally unrelated.
    From them I discovered the negatives had been dumped in 1986 so there was no chance of me getting access to them.

I hope you are not having similar problems, but if so, I'm sorry to tell you they are gone for good.
    I am sorry to hear about that.

Although its not uncommon for a lot of the film studios to discard their negatives after a period of time.

When I started working nearly 4 yrs ago as a formal/school studio photographer, they were getting rid of thousands of negatives and stuff going back over the last 10 years on my first day there.