Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Nikon D750 will it be my best choice

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D750 will it be my best choice

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice, like everyone else I can read the reviews put out by so many blogs but I though I would try and use the experience of AP members. In August I will be travelling overseas to Italy have some time in Milan, Venice, Florence Cinqueterre, Positano, Tropea, Rome and the southern coast. So I am looking for good quality and relatively light camera. I currently own a D4 and I find it heavy having to carry that around all day is a bit challenging. I also have a D7000 which is good but I am tending to favour the D4 so I am thinking should I upgrade the D7000 and buy a D750. I have a range of lenses from 14mm to 200mm which are full frame and one 18-65mm DX lens which I currently use exclusively with the D7000.

So my real question is the D750 the right camera for me to take overseas, lighter than the D4 and as good in the focus points and low light capability.

Looking forward to some advice
    Kind Regard
    Livio

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anything less than a k1 is a compromise
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livio View Post

So my real question is the D750 the right camera for me to take overseas, lighter than the D4 and as good in the focus points and low light capability.

I think it depends on the features you want/expect from the camera!

That is, you already have a greatly capable camera in the D4 .. ie. focus, speed, and many advanced features.

D750 is basically a D610(same sensor) with fewer features.
    eg. tilting review screen, wifi, performance(buffer/write times/fps/buffer/etc).

If all you want is to set the camera for a landscape shot, or street shots, or typical touristy photography, then the D610 will save you a few hundred $s. But the sensor is the same 24Mp as in the D750, so image quality in the resultant files will be the same.
    D610 is a D7000 with an Fx sensor.
    Note tho that in terms of focus ability, the D750 does have an updated AF module(same as D4) and so is capable of focusing in situations that might test the D610 a bit more(which has an older AF module by comparison!)

In terms of size/weight, they're basically much of a muchness tho .. so the only real comparison btw the D610 and D750 is that the D610 is cheaper, and the D750 has better AF module and a couple of advanced wireless capabilities.... eg. you can use a smartphone as a remote release for the D750, instead of the need to carry another bit of gear in the form of a remote for the D610 ... etc.

The other option I reckon that could be an advantage(if you're happy to stick with a Dx sensor is the D500).
    Obviously heavier and bigger than the D750, but more features advantage over the D750 again!

One last option could be a Df. Same sensor as the D4, same AF module as the D610 tho. Smaller and lighter than D610/D750(not by much tho!) and the D500.

As a summary that may or may not help:
    I think it doesn't matter which camera you end up 'updating too' .. they'll all give you good image quality(without question).
    What's more important is what features can you shoot without?
    That is, do you want/need a remote .. and do you mind buying and carrying another device? Do you like the idea of shooting remotely using a phone? Do you want the best low light ability(in terms of noise) .. etc.

ps. I'm guessing that the Dx lens you have is the 16-85mm(ie. typo above)?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the added benefits v the minimal price difference to the D610, the D750 is a winner.

Better auto-focus, newer EXPEED 4 image processor, better low light performance and a monocoque body with carbon fibre covers make the D750 a no-brainer to my way of thinking.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For general travel I'd go with a mirrorless kit - more compact, lighter, still with decent IQ. I'm a fan of Fuji but of course there are plenty of alternatives. Nikon unfortunately is well behind the pace here (I'm not sure they're even in the race ). For the price of a D750 body you might pick up a mirrorless body and a couple of lenses.

If I owned a D4 and D750 one would be pretty much redundant. Having a compact 'grab-and-go' setup (in my case a Fuji X-E2 and 27mm pancake lens) means I tend to take it places (such as 'impromptu' family events) where I wouldn't be bothered taking my DSLR. (Although if I recall correctly I think you do some paid gigs, so the need for a backup DSLR is obviously a very important factor).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your performance needs I would somewhat agree with the above.

I have a D750 and Fuji XT1. Basically if you don't need high shutter speeds in low light and can do without decent AF focus tracking then mirrorless may be a weight and side saving option.

I use the D750 when I need cracking focus performance and also when low light coupled needs to be coupled to this. But if these requirements aren't there I can get just as good shots, sometimes preferred shots (mainly due to glass) on the X~T1.

While it makes sense to get another FF body to complement your lenses, you would be somewhat duplicating the D4 with the D750. Which depending on how you stress the D4 (ie fps and buffer maybe being key factory?) could the D750 replace the D4?

Personally I love my D750. It is a performance beast vs the xt1. I don't even bother trying to capture action with the Fuji anymore

Sent from my LG-D620 using Tapatalk

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Livio, I sort of agree with Phil (above this post) that the D750 is sort of redundant when you get home and have a D750 and a D4 in your camera chest, they are very similar in Mp and use. If it were me, and you want to take a Nikon camera and your current lenses, I would opt for the either a D500 or a D810 as they are different enough so as not to be redundant when you get home as they are both great wildlife cameras - you can crop the D810 when required - if shooting birds and animals are your go. Otherwise I think you'd just have 2 cameras that are way too similar when you get home.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the D750 and a Sigma 24-105 Art as my holiday package (wider would be better). Found that in Europe you will use the widest most of the time.
    I didn't find it a problem carrying it around all day.
    On a trip to Italy (Venice), one of our tour members got up for breakfast seconds, and his camera kit was gone before he returned.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes something to think about Livio a mirror-less camera, plenty out there and so light around you neck all day.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, thank you so much for your considered opinions you make 100% sense and yes there was a typo I have the 18-85mm DX lens which lives on the D7000. I guess I am just having to really think about what I want and need. I will have a closer look at the 610 and the D500.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cage thank you, I thought that the D750 would be most like my D4, that would be a good spare, however I am going to look at the other options.

Kind Regards Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Fillum, Thanks for your input, I had not really given much thought to the mirrorless cameras, One o my reasons for thinking of the D750 was as a backup for the D4 as they are similar in most respects except size and weight. You have given me at least another option to consider so thank you.

Kind Regards
    Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lance, thank you very much for your thoughts, I agree with you, the only reason I was considering the D750 was a fall back for the D4. I have been getting some Event gigs and I like the idea of having two cameras. I am going to have a good look at both of these options. I think the D810 would be a great compliment tot he D4. You make a very good point though one which I really must consider

Kind Regards
    Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Hi John, Thanks for your thoughts, Unfortunately that goes on in Italy, I had planned to have the camera with me at all times, I have been thinking of a speed belt so I can keep everything close. I have been looking at the D750 with 24-120mm f4 lens. I think that I am leaning this way at the moment but I still have some work to do before I finally lock down the final choice

Kind Regards
    Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mary Anne, thank you for your suggestion I am looking at a number of mirrorless cameras now I am looking for a camera that is going to be light and versatile

Kind Regards
    Livio

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally(and if the little bit of extra weight isn't a problem) .. I'd also go with a D810 if I was in your situation.

That is, you have a larger than really needed D4 for travel.
    The other thing about travelling with a large camera like a D4 is the possibility of attracting attention of unknown nefariously inclined persons scoping popular tourist destinations!

D810 has some great features as already explained, and the boost in pixels could be something to easily take advantage of.

It's solidly built too, so if there is any possibility of bumps and bruises due to the nature of some types of travel .. this could be worth considering(same with a D500) too.

The one thing I'd take into consideration more than all other aspects is low light capability. Unless you specifically know the allowable shooting conditions of your destinations(tripod allowances, light levels, will you be inclined to go out during the darker hours, or strictly stick to the typical touristy daylight routines, etc .. you just never know what exposure allowance to cater for.

Mirrorless could be an advantage, but I don't see it as such, but only because of the way I travel(that is size and weight are the most important aspect) .. but I could see how a Sony A7 or some form could be handy to have(plus an adapter for Nikon lenses). problem with Nikon lens adapters (currently) is the inability to set aperture on G or E lenses .. so lenses need to be of the older designs that have an aperture ring to work at all!

I really think that the most important aspect of your situation is .. what is your primary goal for going on holiday.
    We all have different purposes or needs for going on a trip or holiday.
    For me, the most important reason for any time off/holiday/travel is the photography aspect .. so I work around that point.
    The gear I take/travel with is the over riding factor for my holidays.
    I travel to take photos .. first and foremost.

Note that I can't do this all the time, and sometimes I may have a holiday with the kids or something like that. In those circumstances, photography is less important or (dare I say it!! I don't even think about it at all! ) I don't even take a camera at all.

So, if you're on holiday to Milan/Rome/Venice/etc .. and your primary reason is say to see family .. seriously take some time out and enjoy the life experience of it all by worrying about the people you're going to visit/revisit .. or whatever.
    That is, decide what the most important point of the exercise is .. and then worry about the lesser important points.
    What I'm leading too is, maybe a high quality compact may be the better option just to allow yourself some photography capability. Sony Rx100IV(apparently this one is the current bees-knees), or whatever.
    I noted that you also said that you're going in August too.
    Nikon have only just announced a trio of some capable sounding compacts. These are the DL series. They come in a 18-50, 24-85 and a larger 24-500 formats. I think they're named by the lens type associated with the camera .. so it's obvious as to what does what.
    Personally: as a non intrusive but handy to sometimes have (if the need arises) type of camera .. I'd like a 24-85 type DL.
    They will be on the expensive side tho, but the point is ... throw it in a jacket pocket and go be with the family and/or friends type of situation.
    ie. photography is not on the list of important things to concern myself about .. being there is! .. but I do want a camera just in case

ps. Don't mistake this reply to mean that I'm not interested in photography all the time ..or even sometimes! That's basically all I concern myself with(ie. major addiction type of hobby) .. all bar one of my (very few)holidays over the past 10 years have been about going to places for the photography.

Last New Year tho, spent a week with my sister's and brother's family up in the mountains and the vast majority of that week was oriented around family life. Spent more time riding a bike(which hurts my knee) rather than photography. Took time out on two mornings to head out with all of my gear(which sat in the car for most of that week!) to do some photography tho .. so it wasn't a total loss

Anyhow .. just another variable to think about. But personally(I it were me in your situation) .. I'd just stick with the D7000(still very much capable) .. doesn't matter too much if something were to happen to it(lost/stolen/broken/etc) .. and maybe think about some photography shopping along the way too(with the money you didn't spend on a new camera! )

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went last year to Europe with the D750 and the fabulous Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC . It did 99% of My needs
    And this year will be in my bag for the next trip
    Best of luck in your choice
    TFS

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In August, the temperatures are quite warm there and carrying a camera bag all day would be a challenge. I know this coze I went on hols there every year, strolled in places like Pompei and Paestum, to shoot historical sites. In Firenze you may enjoy the historical sites but also the streetviews, and inside the churches, uffizi and palazzi. Sicily, I went to also, very warm, take a hat with you.

If it must be a dslr then a D500 it will be. Check out the utube reviews. No need for cam spec's discussions, you know better.
    You can add a mirrorless, like a small Canon eos m3, kit zoomlens, with extra battery, it keeps ur hands free.
    Problem is that you have good nikon glass already, so anything better than a 16 megapixels cam is OK. With an UWA lens and a tele zoom, f2.8, are enough.

Just enjoying a view, observing a scenery, without making any snapshots, is important also. In Italy everything is theater.....ahahaha
    Bon viaggio. Enjoy your stay in Italia, ...and beware of pickpockets

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cupic, I have been once before in Italy to see family and friends, I am going to repeat that but I have added on some me time in Italy to go around and see the sights and take some shots that are meaningful the history alone is fantastic and the variations between one town and the next in architecture is also wild, particularly in puglia. Looking forward to a good trip and I really am tossing up between a D750, D500, D810 they are all so good and the D750 is the closest mate to the D4. I expect to be shooting inside cathedrals where the light is not great so a camera with low light capability is a must.

Kind Regards
    Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Richardb, thank you for your advice and camera selection. The D500 is in my very serious contender bag along with the D750, your advice about just enjoying and observing the scenery is so true. I know of the pickpockets and the crooks there are plenty for that reason alone I don't really want to flash around the D4. You are so right about theatre Grazie hope to be able to share some pics when I get back or maybe even while I am there

Kind Regards
    Livio

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the D4 makes the D750 redundant. It only makes it redundant if you need 10fps or a 200 frame buffer, and even then the D500 would do an adequate job of it.

There are heaps of pros who have picked the D750 over the D4 despite having the option to go bigger. Pro cameras 5 years ago had far worse dynamic range or ISO capability than the D750.

The question is whether you want to or whether you need anything more than the D750. Ryan Brenizer who is one of the best wedding photographers in the world picked the D750 over the D4 and D810 for doing weddings, which includes low light etc. It's not to say it's a better camera, it's just capable enough to meet the requirements of one of the top wedding photographers in the world which pretty much means there are very few amateurs who will be held back by this. I think people get trapped in the feature/megapixel race and the reality is 99% of us don't need the extra megapixels of the D810, nor the extra features that the D810 or D4 offer over the D750.